Which 3 teams do u think will make it to the olympics from asia?

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by persiantiger, Oct 17, 2003.

1. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

I think malaysia will qualify for the olympics from this group since Iran China and Korea will probably use all their powers on each other :D

2. "Simply Ken"

"Simply Ken" New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    USA
    Iran is the one team that always (I mean always) gets a bad draw. Each time we have to end up in the so-called "Group of Death". It is nothing new, and I can go back for many years to show it.

Even if I concentrate only on the last few years, we got a stupid draw for the 2002 World Cup; we got the toughest Asian Cup qualifying group when our opponents have a bunch minnows to beat; and now this group that screws 3 good teams: Iran, Korea Republic and China.

To evaluate these teams, you need to look at the crop that graduated from the U19 teams of 2000-01 and the U20 World Cup sides. And then the Asian Games in 2002, even though the latter had a different age requirement.

Looking at the overall picture from the relevant age category, there is little to separate China, S.Korea and Iran. These are along with Iraq and Japan the top 5 Olympic teams from Asia right now. To have 3 of them in one group is ridiculous and unfair to all these 3 teams.

3. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    How interesting that Iran will plays all its away games first and then back home for the last four. Basically, for this group, the road to Athens goes thru Iran!

4. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Yea I noticed that too. On the other hand, Korea plays 3 homes games first and 3 away games in a row. I'm not too happy about that, but who knows. Maybe that'll turn out to be good afterall.

5. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

i though you were listing countries by strength...

this is a crazy line up. In group A, the country that fails to win Malaysia games will be screwed.

My two dramatic scenarios:

1. China will be ahead by one point against Korea or Iran before the last game. They will tie thailand 0-0 and winner of Korae vs Iran will proceed.

2. China behind by one point. Korea and Iran ties. China beats Thailand in its last game to get one point ahead.

6. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    so the weaklings in group a and c get a hand relief every game after game. i can't believe some idiot even brought fifa ranking in olympic qualification while saying its a crap ranking as his team going down and down bottomlessly. good luck to all of you orces and please do not hesitate showing off your penis

7. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    not a very unlikely scenario, it could even come down to goal differences, or even face-off results and home & away goals against each other!!!

Not only every single point will count but every single goal could be the tie breaker!!!!

8. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
  9. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i hope korea gets it's butt kicked for good. Our olympic coach was proven again and again to be incompetent, but somehow, he managed to get the job again (connections maybe?). Hope iran and china score 5 goals each and show kfa how not to choose coaches based on their own criteria but only on coaching ability.

10. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    too late to change the coach now.

Whatever crap tactic(wow actually that's an understatement for a coach who barely has one!) he brings up, we'll have to hope it somehow gets covered up by the players' individual show.

11. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I just mentioned it as it was interesting. I mean, how often would you get all your opponents as outside-top-100?

We all know FIFA ranking isn't right anyways since if that's so, Japan would be stronger than Korea but you know... ;)

12. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Is it just me or does hama seem like he needs a hug? Or needs to get laid.

And don't hesitate to show off our penis? Hey man, what you do in the privacy of your own home is strictly between you and your boyfriend not for this website.

13. BadAzzSnowboarder

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Regarding the topic at hand, I think Iran will be Korea's biggest hurdle. I think our olympic team has beaten them just on one occassion and drawn with them another time without a single loss, but regardless those are exactly what they are, past stats and stats don't matter in this sport.

China will also be difficult, but I have no doubts in Korea notching a win from them.

As I've noted in the past, I respect the Iranians pure and simple when it comes to football. I think they've just been unlucky.

South Korea and Iran are the two I see as ambassadors of Asian football and hopefully we'll see a classic match between the two not only in this qualification phase but between the NT's as well in the future.

14. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    if you just look at the stats, S.Korea's Olympics team has never lost a single game against any of China's, Iran's, Malaysia's Olympics teams. Ever.

But such stats are just interesting stats.

15. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    Can anyone list the players for Korea, China, Iran, Japan, and KSA? names, teams they play for, etc.
    oh and also each teams' past accomplishments?

16. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    i don't want a hug or anything from all you stupid people in this filthy world. just die all of you

have you ever put a massager on your penis before? that'll do more than you ask from this stupid world. go *#*#*#*# yourself

17. BadAzzSnowboarder

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    Whoa.

18. "Simply Ken"

"Simply Ken" New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    USA
    WuTang,

Many of the players are from the gold medal team in Busan, and quite a few of them are being capped regularly for the senior team these days. Although that is partly due to the fact that Iran is rebuilding its national team with a view ot the future, it is also largely a testament to their talent as well.

Anyway, most of the team play for clubs in the Iranian top division. Most of them are in fact starters and key players for their clubs, despite their young age.

The following Olympic players, incidentally, have started for Iran even in the Asian Cup qualifiers: Kaabi (17 year old right wingback), Nosrati (central defender), Navidkia (central midfielder), Mobali (central midfielder), while Kazemian (attacking mid/forward) also has his share of caps and -- along with Kameli (defender) - is considered a first choice substitute on the senior team. Other noteworthy players include Madanchi (left outside mid) and Borhani (forward).

Can you share some information about the Korean team? Thanks.

19. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Korea also has most of them playing as key players for their clubs too. But then again, everybody in their Olympics squad should be like that in their domestic leagues.

Coach Hogon Kim has announced that he'll pick some players from the U-20 squad(U-19 Asian Champs) pool to add more. There already are players that go back and forth the U-20 team(that will participate the U-20 World Youth Championship this November). Players like Sung-kook Choi(striker/winger) play for the adult NT, as well as the U23 and the U20. Byung-kook Cho(DF), Sung-hwan Cho(DF), Jung-woo Kim(MF), Jaejin Cho(FW), Tae-wook Choi(FW/MF), Won-kwon Choi(MF), Doo-hyun Kim(MF), Dong-jin Kim(MF), Young-gwang Kim(GK) are the ones that come into mind as of now that's played full NT. Young-gwang Kim is a goalie for the U-20 squad too. Tae-wook Choi was a member of the World Cup 2002 squad although he didn't play much. Another U-20 striker, Joguk Jung seldom gets picked by the Olympics team, but he's injured as of now like Sung-kook Choi.

We're not really sure as of now if KFA will summon the two Euro-leaguers. Jisung Park(PSV Eindhoven) and Chunsoo Lee(Real Sociedad) are two World Cup 2002 members, but things shouldn't be too hard for Korea without these two anyways.

The above set is not fixed yet either as the coach already mentioned that quite a big number of U-20 players could join in soon and he's willing to test them.

20. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    To add to KF's post,

Korea's U-22 has 4 players from the last '02WC squad. Following is a rundown of the players in the order of importance.

1. Lee Chun-soo (MF/FW, Real Sociedad) - regular for NT

2. Park Ji-sung (MF/FW, PSV Eindhoven) - regular for NT

3. Choi Tae-uk (MF, Anyang) - first choice sub for NT

4. Choi Sung-kuk (MF/FW, Ulsan) - regular for U-20, U-22, and NT. Fans here call him "korean Maradona" for his skill.

5. Cho Jae-jin (FW, Kwangju) - first choice sub for NT

6. Cho Byung-kuk (DF, Suwon) - regular for NT.

7. Namgung Do (FW, Chunbuk) - never been capped but he's doing very well in K-League.

Unlike the past Olympics team where most of the players played for colleges, this team is entirely made up of professional players.

Past results (home team first):
    2003-10-17 Korea 2:0 Hong Kong
    2003-10-01 Hong Kong 0:1 Korea
    2003-09-17 Korea 2:1 Japan
    2003-07-23 Japan 1:1 Korea
    2003-07-14 Korea 2:2 PSV
    2003-04-05 Korea 4:1 Costa Rica
    2003-02-12 Netherlands 0:1 Korea
    2003-02-08 S.Africa 2:1 Korea
    2003-02-05 Namibia 0:2 Korea

The same team lost to China in 2000 U-19 asian championship. Luckily, the players 1~4 above weren't playing at the time. The real problem is the coach, who struggled in K-league leaving Busan at the very bottome of the table. He was never successful with any of the team that he coached. The quality of the actual content of the game never improved over the last 8 months or so.

21. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    yes korea will qualify and get its assed whooped in the olympics because of our incompetent coach.

22. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

add to that, the coach was the leader of Hiddink basher. Said Hiddink doesn't care and should be replaced by Korean coach before he makes fool out of himself in the World CUp.

23. "Simply Ken"

"Simply Ken" New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    USA
    Wu Tang and Korean Football,

Thanks for the responses regarding your team.

Iran's Olympic team has not had any preparatory matches. The only results we have from our pure Olympic team are from the Olympic qualifiers against Uzbekistan, where we beat them 3:1 away and 6:1 at home. We have, however, had a lot of senior matches that have featured predominately Olympic team players, both before AG02 and afterwards.

There is a so-called Afro-Asian tournament to start in India in a few days, where Iran had proposed sending a 2nd division club, Malevan, to represent it. The AFC rejected that proposal and asked Iran to send its Olympic team instead.

We will be sending a side that will be called our Olympic team to that tournament, although most of our Olympic players will likey miss the tourney. After all, most of the starters in the Olympic team are also in Iran's senior team roster -- with the latter having a game next Sunday against N.Korea in the Asian Cup qualifiers. Nonetheless, the tournament in India can be a good place to assess and groom some of the second tier Olympic players that we seldom see, provided that even those players are released by their IPL clubs. Otherwise, Iran will probably have to select a U23 from its 2nd division for that tournament.

Incidentally, most of our Olympic team players come from the following IPL clubs: Foolad (Kaabi, Kameli, Mobali), Pass (Nosrati, Borhani), Fajr (Rahmati-GK, Madanchi), Sepahan (Navidkia), Perspolis (Kazemian), with Esteghlal's contingent speculative (possibly Lotfi, who is injured right now, and hopefully Sadeghi).

24. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Yeah!!! We might qualify after all :D . I just hope they don't f up like their seniors did 2 years ago.

WuTang, I'll get a list of players when it's announced. The Olympic and youth teams share a lot of players, so I don't know who they'll select to play in what.