Where's Zack Thornton?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Cambuur, Nov 24, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think contrary to general standards, they weren't impressed he was such a "large" goalkeeper.

He almost never made the bench and didn't seem like they much cared that he left. But that was just my impression from afar.

2. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no meaningful 1st team starts? Bummer... And didn't they know he was large-and-in-charge before he got there??!

Thanks

Lee

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I dunno. Maybe they thought he would make progress in conditioning. They probably couldn't get used to it. Portugese GK's probably are half Zach's size.

4. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    To be fair, I think he started nearly every reserve match while he was there. He was just in a tough spot because the "injured" keeper -- whose injury caused Benfica to start looking to get deeper at that position -- miraculously got better very quickly, if I recall correctly.

Later,
    COZ

5. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Zach also lost a lot of weight in Portugal.

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    but still disappointing not to find a spot on the bench. It seems to me that the US is a goldmine of keeper talent that Europe can't seem to grasp (was 3 GK's starting in the EPL not enough of a hint)

It's good for MLS, but it also makes it harder for goals to be scored given that's the strongest position. Of course we always have our outside backs to "compensate" for this strength

7. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Zach was on the bench almost every game there. just never got a game.

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    in streetclothes maybe

http://www.soccertimes.com/americans/2004/jul07.htm

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, US 'keepers aren't as good as people make them out to be. They're good, but clearly not the best. Also, maybe the hint they are taking is that fact that two of those three 'keepers you were refering to have been Shlt canned from their starting spots.

Keller is old and no longer wanted by anyone(except maybe an MLS team) and Howard, like his former team, will continue to suck until the end of time.

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    so why did Southampton, when their GK's went down, choose Keller

again, the facts. don't bother with the facts before making derogatory statements

leave your personal desires out of this

11. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Hi. This is a Chicago Fire forum. Nice to have you.

12. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... interesting. I hadn't realized that Keller was such a huge hit at Southampton. They surely must have offered him a nice contract for next season... oh, wait.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't say that American goalkeepers are bad. I think they are pretty good, but anyone who buys into this absurd notion that the US produces the finest 'keepers in the world is nuts. I honestly think that we don't have a single goalkeeper as good as Victor Valdes, and he's not even the best Spanish 'keeper. Italy has, and is, producing better 'keepers than the US ever has. We're not some undiscovered gold mine. The most attractive thing about our 'keepers to other clubs is the fact that they are dirt cheap. They are probably the best value in the world, but definately not the best players.

One last thing, let's not pretend that our "personal desires" are not involved. You think Howard is going to be a great 'keeper, despite his performances at the highest level. You think he will be great despite the fact that much of the evidence says otherwise. I disagree. I'm not saying that he will definately fail in europe, but I really don't see him succeeding at the elite (read-Man United) level. While you might feel otherwise, you must admit that the chances of his failure(at that level) are at least as good as the chances of his success.

I sincerely hope that he does get his s*** together, and succeeds over there, but I am also realistic.

13. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    So wait, you're saying Henry Ring is going to start for Real Madrid next season?

14. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, I was thinking that we should loan them Pickens. I know Henry is in a bad spot, but I have to believe that he could do better.

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I wasn't saying the US keepers are the best in the world. Just that the ones sitting on the bench in the US could probably be making more money overseas across the leagues in Europe like Norway, Belgium, France, Sweden, etc. But I'm glad to have them here. Never claimed they would all be all stars in the Big 4, just there is a glut of them here that could make a living there.

I don't think anyone here "got" what I meant by "personal desires". Maybe that's a good thing. Tried to keep it kosher for the kids reading. Had nothing to do with soccer or the Metrostars.

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    yet he's starting for Southampton, so you were wrong, admit it. they obviously want him NOW. he is PLAYING