Where's Zack Thornton?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Cambuur, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Cambuur

Cambuur New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    What's the latest with Zack Thornton?

2. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    He will be the starting keeper next season. The club decided to let Henry Ring go (he is out of contract) and go with Zach's experience.

3. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Where did you see that?

I know Henry was out of contract and was left unprotected, but nowhere did I see news that he was definately being let go.

4. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Peter Wilt said so right here.

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
  6. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Except that he didn't. He said Zach was starting. McDill -- not Peter -- then said they don't expect to be able to afford both. At no point in that article did it say that Ring wouldn't be re-signed, or has been let go. Only that it looked unlikely. As of right now, he's still technically under contract. We could still re-sign him at a lower salary, or re-sign him and then trade him.

Reading is fundamental.

Later,
    COZ

7. Blacksheep

Blacksheep New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Ohio
  8. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically Ring is not gone yet.Even though Ring is not signed for the 2005 season the Fire retains his rights in trades to other MLS teams. Stoitchkov was out of contract when traded to DC. The Fire could re-sign Henry Ring if he was willing to take a lower salary, which probably won't happen. I believe Pickens does not count against the salary cap as I think he is a P-40.

9. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago

While I can see where you make the inference from this statement...I don't see anywhere here that Henry has actually been let go.

Saying "it will be hard to re-sign him" is not the same as saying we are not interested in re-signing him.

10. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    I know the Fire are not the 'norm' with regards to things like this, but would the Fire put out a press release saying they are NOT re-signing someone? Most teams wouldn't, then again, the Fire have proven they handle things much better then other teams.

11. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    The Southtown article was much more definitive. I stand corrected on the initial claim, but it was the wrong evidence.

Later,
    COZ

12. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Surely you jest.

You've got a player coming off an all-star season who's being paid peanuts and you think you can sign him at a lower salary? (any lower and he'd be in the developmental category)

13. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Pickens is not a P-40. He is currently working under a developmental contract.

14. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I still wouldn't write Ring off completely. Where else is he going to go? I just don't see teams knocking down doors to pick him up. But the silly season is still early.

I just don't think there has been anything truly difinitive to say that he definately wont be back. Surely the indications are there but nothing is a done deal at this point, from what I can tell.

15. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    True, and Nate just reported that Peter's looking for another home for him so he can start, not that it was a done deal, or that it will ultimately be successful. Which brings me back to my initial objection to Bill's assertion that it was.

If Meola does go to Metro, is Ring to KC too obvious?

Later,
    COZ

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think Bo earned himself a starting spot? Or do you just figure Ring to KC as backup?

17. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    If Meola does go, the two top uncommited MLS keepers become Ring and Walker.

18. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    It seemed to me that they are more or less 'letting' fat Tony go because they like what Bo has done.
    Seems like a good place to go fight for a spot though.

19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    they have Hesmer too, a relatively high draft pick now develomental

20. ChgoFireFan

ChgoFireFan New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    SW Suburbs
    While there hasn't been anything "officially" announced, for Wilt to say in print-

"We'll look at trying to find a fit for him with another team in MLS," Wilt said of Ring, who was voted the Fire's Most Valuable Player in 2004 and is now a free agent. "We'll also talk to our sister team in Mexico, Morelia, to see if there's interest there. His agent is looking for opportunities for him in Europe."

It's a fact.. he won't be back. I doubt he would want to be in a back-up role anyway..

21. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Not suggesting that anything you or anybody else said is wrong. But fact is, the man will need a job. So nothing is a done deal until it's a done deal. That's all I'm saying. I think the Fire would gladly keep him if he were willing to play the role they ask at the price they ask.
    Just sticking to the facts. Which is the Fire still have his rights so to speak and he doesn't have another team to play for as of yet.

22. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Fire have said they are looking to place Ring overseas, or maybe with Morelia.

He has made the offseason training trip to Morelia twice and the mgmt had nice things to say about him (and Jimmy) when we were down there.

23. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Well let's see....Ring was in the net for the worst team in MLS last year and Walker had the highest GAA in the league....I think I see why they are "uncommited"

24. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    1) Be fair. The Fire let in one more goal this past year than the year prior.
    2) Very true. Just because you play 'overseas' doesn't make you automagically better than an 'American'. Does this mean Divas USA may pick him up somehow?

Oh yeah. The Metros suck.

25. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it didn't go too great, but what was the overall impression that Zack left at Benfica?
    I know he didn't play a lot behind the young guy that they have, did he ever play at all? If so, how did he do?

thanks

Lee