Where's Richard?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mitquinn, Oct 25, 2004.

1. mitquinn

mitquinn Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Where is Mulrooney?

2. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out for undisclosed "personal reasons." It's gotta be serious for the Quakes' iron man to miss a playoff match. There's a hope he'll be back for the return leg in Kansas City.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    When the personal reasons aren't disclosed, it's rarely a good thing.

If there was a death in the family or the birth of a child they'd tell us. If it was a wedding, they'd tell us. If he was sick, they'd tell us.

I'm not going to speculate why he missed the game as I have no insight. But having an iron man like Mulrooney abruptly miss the team's biggest game of the year to date and then give no specific reason certainly raises a few eyebrows.

I, for one, hope he missed the game for something non-scandalous and that all is well in his life. MLS needs players like Mulrooney playing, not out for mysterious and unexplained reasons.

4. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Marino Rivera left the Yankees prior to the Boston series following the death of two realtives in his home in Panama, the Yankees merely stated it was for "personal reasons" until the story was uncovered about 24 hours later. So it is not necessarily true that they would tell us the reason. (It is also a given that Mulrooney is not getting the same kind of media scrutiny Rivera gets.) The most likely reason is a death in the family.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still, a strange story. no question.

6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Frankly, it's none of our business. Whatever the reason is, I'm sure it's a good one and I'm sure Richard would rather have been playing yesterday. I just want to send my best wishes for him in whatever he is doing and hope we see him on Saturday.

7. edgarzizou

edgarzizou New Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Columbus
    His mother passed away in Memphis, TN last week. Her funeral was Saturday. Please pray for Richard and the entire Mulrooney family as they go through this rough time. It's times like these when we should realize that this game we all love is just a game and that there are more important things in life than soccer. Here is her obituary from the Memphis paper.

Rosemary R. Mulrooney, 57, of Memphis, homemaker, died Wednesday at her home. Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Park Funeral Home with burial in Memorial Park. She was a communicant of St. Louis Catholic Church. Mrs. Mulrooney, the wife of John J. Mulrooney for 35 years, also leaves two sons, John J. Mulrooney Jr. of Tupelo, Miss., and Richard P. Mulrooney of San Jose, Calif.; her father, Hudson R. Richard of Sun City, Calif., and three brothers, Reginald Richard of Dayton, Ohio, Hudson R. Richard Jr. of Sun City and Noel F. Richard of Cheshire, Conn.

8. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it's none of our business. No one is suggesting he be followed so we can find out the truth. But it is only natrual to wonder.

I certainly second your best wishes and hopes to see him play this weekend.

9. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap. 57? That sucks. Prayers for his entire family.

10. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

They mentioned DeRo and Agoos were expecting....or at least their wives are.

11. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I think that most peoples concern comes from a good place, I don't think anyone demanded full disclosure.....just well meant concern, considering Mulrooney is a long time Quake and a fan fav.

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damm! Best wishes Richard...

13. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Man......my parents are in their early 60's.....57 is way too young. :(

14. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. It is especially true with the Quakes, who are so much more accessible and 'real' to us than most sports teams.

15. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    My Mom was only 63, but after a stroke and several subesequent operations, her passing wasn't a total shock.

After reading the obit for Richard's Mom, her passing may have been "out of the blue". Anyway, it totally svcks.

Our prayers are with and your family, Rich.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

17. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prayers go out to Richard and his family..

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Yeah.....it's not often that Barry Bonds, Mark Mulder, Kevin Barlow, Tyronne Wheatley, Vinnie Damphousse or Jason Richardson stop by a tailgate and have a beer with the fans or stop in a mall or a on the street to talk sports. I can speak of several times that Quakes have seen me and my buddies tailgating after games and stopped and said hi......un-solicited......we may have yelled "good game" or "how's the injury?" but we never bug them(ok, my wife may have bugged a few of them...Bower, Ekelund, Graziani and even Zico).....and they always thank us for the support. So yeah.....it does make it more real once you've chatted with someone that you see play on a weekly basis.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thoughts and prayers to Richard and his family.

20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Grief is a wierd thing. Having been through the unexpected death of a young mother, I can relate a little to what Richard must be going through. People deal with it in different ways.

The way many of us men do it is through "routine". I wouldn't be surprised to see Mulrooney back before next game and begging to play. It's the one area he can retreat to and stop dwelling on the negative.

If he does return, I feel sorry for our opponents. I expect he'll play with an intensity and emotion like never before......It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him become the playoff MVP.

21. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember Brett Favre... Monday Night Football against the Raiders...

Sorry to hear about Lionheart--thoughts and prayers go to him and his family... hurry back whenever but family first...

*points up towards the sky a la Barry Bonds*

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It happens time and again. Many times men hold thier emotions inside. The game is a way for Richard to release those emotions and throw himself into an intense task.

The fatigue after the game is what you're seeking. You've worn down the barriers and you can finally grieve....

23. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass
    Prayers to Lionheart and his family.

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God bless to Richard and his family. 57 is way too young.

I'm sure the team put their all into this game for Richard. At the end of the telecast on ESPN, they showed Donovan holding up that black sweatband thingy and he mouthed "Richard" and patted his heart.

25. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Agreed completely. If/when we have another home game this season, I will surely get something together for Richie and make sure you all get to at least put your name in on it. It is bad enough to lose a loved one, but even worse when it is unexpected. I'm hoping it wasn't. I know he is very close to his family. They are a strong unit and will get through it....so sad it had to hapen though. Look at it this way, now Mrs. Mulrooney will be guiding her son and favorite MLS team to a third MLS cup in four years from above.

I didn't see the ESPN casting, but what you said makes complete sense. Richie wears a black sweatband on his right wrist every game. He has for as long as I can remember. Landon probably took one and wore it during the game for him. God, this team is SO AWESOME!