Where's Goose?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJfuture, Jan 28, 2003.

1. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Ok let me throw out a conspiracy for ya. Where the hell is Jeff Agoos? I have read countless newspaper and magazine articles, official press releases and internet news sources regarding the quakes and not one of them has mentioned Goose in any capacity. No quotes, no mentions, no nothing. In the quake magic article regarding Yallop re-signing Ekelund, there was mention of Dayak being a "potential team captain." That's funny, I thought goose was our captain. A trade in the works? Retirement?

Any thoughts?

2. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Saw him here in Arlington, VA at Summer's Restaurant for the US vs. Canada friendly with hot gf/wife with him.

I'd guess that if you were a SJ fan you should be happy you haven't seen his name in the papers like Cannon, Barrett, Mulrooney, Ekelund. Unless of course you were hoping he doesn't return this year.

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, Troy is always like that. He's always one to be a leader. I think it was more his mentality that was coming out. He showed up at the last LA game just to support the guys. He was at every home game and was always saying how he had to get out there to help the guys (even when he was hurt and not playing). I think it was more his attitude that was coming across. The Quakes site had an article in which he said he would be out there the first day of training ready to be a leader.

Anyway, I just asked what the author of that article saw with Goose yesterday. Let you know what he says.

4. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    If Goose leaves or retires, I'd suggest Richard Mulrooney as captain, simply because he could potentially be captain for longer.

Dayak is one of those guys that's such a leader by example you almost don't have to waste the captaincy on him. He'll lead regardless. He has seemed like a leader since he was a rookie on the Blackhawks. Just one of those guys. If Dayak was captain, I wouldn't bitch, though.

5. Waldo41

Waldo41 New Member

Oct 22, 2001
    San Jose
    His photo can be found today on www.sjearthquakes.com the story references the opening of training camp. Take a look he is even running and wearing the old #12!

6. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    yeah and joe cannon is in the background....conclusion? old photo

This is weird.

7. nmooney

nmooney New Member

May 9, 1999
    Palo Alto, CA, USA
    Well, I saw a few rumors floating around that he was being traded to the Metros for Jolley. I don't believe it seeing as I don't think the Metros gain too much from it other than leadership... Does anyone know anymore about this rumor?

Nick

8. ynwaquakes

ynwaquakes New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Oregon
    While Goose has served us well his days of physical contribution are over (ie. World Cup) in my humble opinion. It would be great to see him move into a coaching position or as a sub who uses his experience to train the newbies. Wouldn't totally ruin me if he was traded for a younger, more viable defender.

9. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    The only one I saw was a post on the Metros board on BigSoccer where a guy posted it, gave no links, got called on the carpet, and admitted he was just speculating. And someone posted a link to that thread over here on the Quakes board. Where else have you seen the rumor?

10. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    .llllllluuuuaaP deirub I

11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > While Goose has served us well his days of
    > physical contribution are over (ie. World Cup) in
    > my humble opinion

I may be stretching here, but I think that the quality of players in MLS is just a little below World Cup level.

12. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    LMFAO!

13. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    !!!!OOOOOAAAFFMMLL

14. ynwaquakes

ynwaquakes New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Oregon
    I may be stretching here, but I think that the quality of players in MLS is just a little below World Cup level.

So what? A few years ago Goose would have been just fine with the big boys. Now that he's almost 35 he just isn't what he used to be. And don't even try to suggest that he's like Valderrama who can contribute even when he's farting dust. Goose was never a world reknowned defender by any means. We need him but not as a big minutes player. We need his experience for these newbies who are going to be putting in big minutes.

P.S. - You're weren't purposely slagging the MLS were you? We get enough patronizing from the Europeans...mostly because they're afraid of what we're cooking up over here (some whoop a*s).

15. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    Before we rush to judgment on a player just one year removed from the 2001 MLS Defender of the Year, let's give him a few weeks before we string him up. He took a pretty hard injury (battery from the stands?) in Seoul and after what he has meant to this team, I'd like to see him 100% healthy before I make up my mind. Yes, he may be getting a little long in the tooth, but I think he's still better than most options out there.

Question: Where would this team be re-located now if he hadn't come here? We had huge contributions on the 2001 team, but he brought credibility, stability and tons of other -ibilities. Next to Landon, he's been the best thing to happen to this team.

16. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Welcome to BigSoccer. I think most of the posters here do indeed appreciate Goose's contributions to the team. He obviously still knows how to play, the question is "can he keep up?" You're right that he was shaking off injury last year when Ruiz was running circles around him, so I think we should give him another chance.

17. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Re: Re: Where's Goose?

For the record, that's why I started this post. Goose is easily the most consistent player we've had in years. Always gives 100%, always plays with passion. We NEED him, hence my desire to know where the hell he is.

18. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very astute post!!

What he also gives us is the intangibles of experience and knowledge which I hope can be passed down to the Robinsons, Dunivants of the world which will be put is in a good position for the future...

-Richard

19. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    We need him because Goose is a world RENOWNED speller.

...after Goose retires.

We're getting there but I don't think we're ready for any chest-thumping yet.

20. dk_dynamite

dk_dynamite New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    SF via London
    We definitely need Goose back at 100% this year... I think that what he lacks in speed, he makes up for in positioning, consistency, and leadership. Central defense is not a position that we want to change mid-game on a regular basis; we need him to anchor the back line and organize the troops.

He had a couple of big mistakes in the world cup (I was there to witness it first hand), but he is still the best defender we have, period!

21. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Agreed! Let him anchor himself in the middle--take up perfect support position and bark out directions to the young, fresh legs of Dunivant and Robinson. Let them do the running around. What makes truly great athletes great is that after time has lessened their superior physical abilities, they play "smarter" and lose nothing. (Best example--Joe Montana)

22. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Goose was at the Sharks/LA game tonight w/Shawn Medved and their significant others...

23. ynwaquakes

ynwaquakes New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Oregon
    Totally agree with you about his contributions in the past. He will always be a legend among Quakes fans. I'm just nervous that he's gonna end up being another Laurent Blanc for Man U...slow & a liability as the league begins to get better.

24. cbsmith

cbsmith Member

Feb 21, 2001
    New Jersey
  25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States