Where will Bruce Arena turn up next?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by gyr0, Dec 10, 2007.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Thoughts, predictions?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7136054.stm

2. Irish527

Irish527 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I think its good he is looking for work but he doesnt really have a good shot at it. I doubt Scotland wants a manager who messed up at the last World Cup he was part of and failed to manage a club team properly. They have no real incentive to hire him.

3. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an egotistical dickhead he is. Scotland? As if.

Much more likely to turn up on ESPN doing expert :rolleyes: commentary.

4. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? What about expressing his interest in the job makes him an egotistical dick? I dont think he'll get the job either but whats wrong with him throwing his hat in.

Carrying a chip somewhere are we?

5. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shows me that he's out of touch with the reality of his job performance over the past two years or so.

On the left shoulder :)

6. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    To his credit, I think Bruce could do a job for Scotland. He is a proven international manager and a good motivator to boot. While his ego definetly led to his downfall in MLS, I feel this was largely due to his view as a return to the league as a step down.

Properly challenged and motivated, I still feel Arena is a great coach/manager. His becoming the first American manager overseas would only be a good thing for our country. If he were to somehow snag the job, I wish him all the best.

7. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but Scotland isn't very realistic. He probably needs to start smaller than that. Like Northern Ireland or Wales. Or better yet Armenia or Azerbaijan.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Arena the dude who kept saying that it was important for his successor to be American and not foreign? So why now does he want Scotland to hire a "foreign" coach? Seems a bit contradictory.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, most of the rest of the world doesn't think he, or we, "messed up" at the last world cup. 90% of the foreign press in the aftermath of last summer's 3-and-out focused on the fact that we were the only team who could take a point off of Italy, and that we were "hard done" by the officiating in the Ghana game. And for all the teeth-gnashing here, Arena left the club and roster in much, much better shape than he found it.

Plus Arena actually has led a team past the World Cup group stage - something no Scotland manager's ever done.

I doubt this will happen, but I don't think it's as far-fetched as everyone here thinks.

10. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two differant jobs DUMB ASS....He is right too our next head coach should not be some big name from abroad.

11. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BA turned the Nats from being down right pathetic to somewhat respectable. He could do the same for Scotland.

12. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    i think arena would check his ego at the door if going to scotland. no one would put him on the pedestal he thinks he belongs on.

different dynamic then the US or MLS job, where he thought he was the smartest soccer mind in the states.

there, he'd have to prove himself all over again, which he's probably good at.

13. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Exactly, he would be surrounded by doubters and this is exactly why he would thrive. Arena seems to rise to adversity and in 2002, we had a particular point to prove. An up and coming Scotland squat bereft of international glory certainly offers a similar platform to that of seven years ago.

The odds are against him, but it certainly would improve the profile of our coaches abroad.

14. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he will get the Scotland job. They are going to be serious contenders for a WC10 spot, and they will want someone with more experience if they decide to go foreign. Just my opinion.

However, putting his hat in the ring, will open up other opportunities. Perhaps not with a serious contender for a WC10 spot.

15. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds a little off. Why would Arena pursue or agree to coaching any national team if they weren't a serious contender for a WC10 spot? For his career, he'd want the highest profile job he could possibly get.

I'm surprised he didn't pursue the Australia job. I think he would have had a better shot there than in Europe, but still, he's going to want to keep his name relevant after RBNY and the USMNT.

16. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

like Scotland is the jewel of Europe or something?

I agree that he won't get the job, but if he did, he'd do better than many of his predecessors. I don't think he was as good as 02 showed nor as bad as 06 showed - I do believe he jumped on the Red Bull job too soon, and could have used at least a year off before going back into coaching.

He'll do ESPN commentary like every other fired head coach.

17. BallackUSA13

BallackUSA13 New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Margaretville, NY
    Should have went to Derby County, where he could give Feilhaber the chance to shine, since they are going to be relegated anyways.

An interesting move would be to the Seria A and coach a team like Reggina or Empoli, teams fighting relogation.

Or he could go back to Germany and prove he can win a game in the country and coach Energie Cottbus, who are fighting relagation. Or what if he tried the 2nd division and got a team like 1860 Munich, who have a couple Americans, back into the Bundesliga.

What I really think will happen is he winds up back in the college game or coaching an expansion team, like Seatle.

What I would like to see him do is go to Europe, coach a 2nd division team and get them to the top flight and prove he can really coach a club team. Most importantly prove an American can coach in the European game.

18. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the dirt :eek:

19. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, how dare he try to make a living . . wage earner, who does he think he is? Psht...

20. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

May 14, 2007
    Edison, NJ
    But Arena coached the American national soccer team. Are we that so down on our nation's team that someone who used to coach them has to go and coach Wales or Armenia or Azerbaijan to prove...what? That he can coach an even smaller nation?

Matrim's right - Arena isn't a poor option as you would think and to be honest, I wish he was still the coach here. I don't begrudge his interest in Scotland and I wish him the best.

21. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was being facetious. Arena did a great job with the USMNT until the world cup last year. With the RB not so much. But no U.S. citizen has ever coached a foreign national team that I know of. Scotland may not be a great team but they're one of the sport's very first national teams. For them to hire Arena would be totally unprecedented on a number of levels.

22. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I REALLY hope that Arena not only gets the job as Scotland's National Team coach, but I hope he succeeds in leading them into a World Cup 2010 spot. That alone would totally f*ck up a lot of the U.S. soccer haters out there.

23. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA

i think that would be good for him.... so now we dont have to give up anything.... osorio resigned and so did arena.... so we just swap and we both dont loose anything....

25. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotland is a serious footballing nation ... the USA is not. For the jocks to look here for a coach would be rather like the Yankees looking to hire the best baseball manager in Scotland when replacing Torre.