Where we stand after Round 6

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Manolo, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    WCQ 02
    FIRST 6 MATCHES: 7 Points -3 GD
    2 WINS 3 LOSSES 1 TIE
    Went on to place 2nd Overall in WCQ

WCQ 06
    FIRST 6 MATCHES: 7 Points -1 GD
    2 WINS 3 LOSSES 1 TIE
    Went on to place 3rd Overall in WCQ

WCQ 10
    FIRST 6 MATCHES: 5 Pts, -6 GD
    1 WINS 3 LOSSES 2 TIE

Basically, we were 20 seconds away from equalling our output thus far in the last two WCQ cycles. While the tie against Colombia is unfortunate, it wasn't really out of reasonable expectations. They tied us in '02 qualifying and Salas squeaked one by them to win 2-1 for '06 (man, I want him back). So basically they have always played us tough.

I see a lot of differences so far during this 2010 qualifying campaign. I think teams are generally more evenly matched. Brazil and Argentina have struggled and will not breeze by as they usually do. Venezuela's improvement means no longer an easy 6 points from them. This will make the spread between the top and bottom teams more tight. We might see a bit of mayhem on the final match day, with possibly only 1 or 2 teams qualified and the remaining 3-4 spots up for grabs.

What does this mean? It means that the teams that qualify will end up with less points, on average, than for 02 and 06. This sounds weird, but a few ties at home may not hurt - as long as we get some ties away, and we avoid losing at home (especially against direct competitors). Due to the length of this campaign, most of the other teams will go through rough patches at some point. At the end of the day, we need to hang in tough by consistenly picking up points and making sure we still remain within striking distance. Hopefully this team that seems to be more balanced and individually talented than either of the past two cycles will gel, one of our strikers will recover his form, and we'll hit a stride and position ourselves for one of the top spots.

2. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Manolo, it's great that you put this together. Although I already understood that math, many people who might be panicking can rest easier because we are still alive. Great post, especially for the worried...thanks for putting it into perspective :)

3. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah thats some good info thanks

4. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Awesome post, It's really motivating although The points is not what worries me the most It's our lack of offense and scoring but like you said Its still a long way and a lot can happen.

5. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006
    It was motivating. Chile just won.

6. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 losses, 2 ties, 1 win

1 loss at home
    2 losses away
    1 win away
    1 tie away
    1 tie at home

7. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

uhh.. our win was at home.

8. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know ... lol I noticed it last minute but couldn't go back and edit it... :D I was hoping no one would notice that.

but yea .. my bad .. our win against peru was at home.