Where the ******** are you? A Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Nov 25, 2017.

1. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Thanks for covering my tracks Google.

GHjelm repped this.
  2. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mission accomplished
    IMG_20200710_125756.jpg

GHjelm, Mikebsiu and xtomx repped this.
  3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Be careful in Wisconsin. I was there briefly last weekend and people are out and about like idiots.

LIZZIE, GHjelm, Mikebsiu and 2 others repped this.
  4. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yeah, I have a feeling they will be the next Arizona/Florida/Texas.

5. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I got out of there quick. In Iowa now. Not sure why tbh other than Toppling Goliath. Pretty view and glad it's not 100 degrees
    IMG_20200710_132410.jpg

GHjelm and bunge repped this.
  6. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I got a couple cases of the spotted cow and kid kölsch, and it was average. Not enough flavor.

7. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Try the Moon Man.

sportscrazed2 repped this.
  8. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Spotted Cow used to be one of my favorites. I dont know if it's changed or I have, but we've grown apart...

Mikebsiu and sportscrazed2 repped this.
  9. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Last time I drove up to Kenosha I didn't know what I wanted. Spotted cow was meh. Moon man I'd put right up there in top 3-5 pale ales.

bunge repped this.
  10. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Just wasn’t that impressed with glarus. Been drinking a lot of metropolitan brewing lately. I’ll try the moon man though. I always stop at that cheese castle place right off the highway

xtomx repped this.
  11. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I love the Mars Cheese Castle.

Mikebsiu repped this.
  12. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    New Glarus is fine, but terribly overrated by Chicagoans

Totally Naked is my favorite relative of the NG beers relative to their peers

Mac97, milicz and xtomx repped this.
  13. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I now wait until I get all the way north and go with Alpha Brewing or Upper Hand selections.

14. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cedar Rapids. I got to see the backstory of the picture of 2 ugly famers at the art museum in Chicago. Never liked that painting. I think the part he stole from the Weasely family is better. Also saw some frank Lloyd house. Quite honestly I just wouldn't let that crazy man design my house. I'd rather get Ricky from trailer park boys buy a trailer and give him a couple grand to decorate it IMG_20200711_125004.jpg

skinut repped this.
  15. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have relatives in Iowa. I like them, but I'm sorry you're there.

xtomx and sportscrazed2 repped this.
  16. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iowa ain't so bad. It's like the Shire but the orcs never come. Dabuque is pretty and CR seems like it might be nice to spend a day or two when everything is open. I found kolacky and there is an Italian beef restaurant that charges extra for every topping.

17. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my next trip I want to be in a small town nearby with no museums not tourist traps, just a brewery,coffee shop, liquor store,dispensary,Harold's Chicken,white Castle, Portillos,and Culver's all within 10 minutes. Oh wait that's homewood il and I'm pretty sure they have the last remaining crispy creme. I'm so moving

bunge and xtomx repped this.
  18. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All jokes aside I really reccomend spending 3 days in rural Iowa. It will make the Portillos off the expressway so much better

skinut repped this.
  19. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Scotland took it seriously and bent the curve. The English gov't. in Westminster, not so much. This may be the final trigger for independence.

bunge repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, I am finally beginning to "settle" in Northern Wisconsin.

We officially closed on the house two weeks ago today, but the movers only arrived yesterday. Thanks, @skinut, for asking. They sent three retirees as the moving crew, but they did a great job. Hardy local folk.

We have nice house, just outside Wausau, in Marathon, Wi. Flagstone front, huge (really, way too big) fireplace, vaulted ceiling. This is the front of the house:

[​IMG]

We purchased a 12 acre property with a maple forest in the back, a pine forest in the front, a crab apple orchard on one side, two acre yard and, well, a mobile home park adjacent to us on the other side. We are right off of Highway 29, which is both great (10 minutes to work) and kind of sucks (we can hear the traffic, the pines to deaden the sound enough).

Overhead shot of some (maybe 1/3) of the land (the maple forest is starts at the top of the picture and goes back a few hundred yards) Having had to work almost every day since we moved (and not having appropriate footwear), I have not even explored most of the land. This weekend, perhaps.

[​IMG]

We have three families of wild turkeys that inhabit our land (squatters), deer come through daily to nibble on the crab apples, along with a variety of critters, chipmunks, frogs and toads (when was the last time I saw a toad? 20 years ago?), a few bats, and birds aplenty. Oh, and mosquitoes, plenty of mosquitoes. The dog had her first encounter with a garter snake. She was very confused by the "stick that moved and tried to bite" her. In fact, as I lounge in the front, there is a deer walking through the yard. Too dark for a picture, though.

The house is in great shape, but we are replacing the floors (replacing carpeting with engineered white oak hardwood), had to buy new appliances (the house only came with 1970-era washer/dryer) and we had to order satellite internet, as the local cable companies do not go this "far" out (We are about 5 miles from downtown Wausau). No cell service at all (other than through wifi). Our new appliances won't arrive until mid-September, damn COVID-19 "back order."

Tomorrow, I make the all important decision of what lawn tractor to buy. As part of my research, I have been getting tips and suggestions from the "locals" and have it narrowed down to two, a John Deere X354 or a Husqvarna. I was at the Husqvarna dealer today and I a 90% sold on it.

I also have to purchase a new chainsaw, my electric is just going to "cut it" up here. I have about a dozen pine trees that have died and need to be removed. I will give a couple a shot, then, I suspect, I will give up and hire someone to do it.

There are three brewpubs within 10 minutes of me, a Menards, and as @GHjelm pointed out, an Aldi. I am pretty well set, then. Fish fry tonight at a great place right on Big Rib River.

I have way too much work at the moment, but that will lighten up when I catch up a bit.
    It is going to take a while to adjust, but so far, not too bad. Without our stuff in place, it still quite a bit like being on vacation.

Go Fire...eventually.

LIZZIE, bunge, GHjelm and 1 other person repped this.
  21. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have now discovered an Aldi in Rhinelander, even closer to my home away from home. It's been nice being in the North Woods for such an extended time. Some hard work needed, splitting wood, clearing dead trees, shoring up the lake front, etc. But, it's super rewarding to work with the old hands and give the brain a little break. Hope it's equally true for you.

skinut, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  22. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May you enjoy your new home, and have much happiness there. It looks wonderful. What a beautiful place to live- I went to UW Stevens Pt, and still have friends in the area. They are heavy Trumpers up there, though!

xtomx repped this.
  23. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And - perhaps you know all this, if so I apologize. Esp. with your doggie, and your beautiful deer-containing woods, watch the ticks up there. Wisconsin has quite a few very nasty tick born diseases I have never heard about living close to the city. One other serious illness, which has taken one of my friends's dogs, is blastomycosis, a nasty fungal infection.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, yes. The week before we left, we took her to the vet and loaded up on tick medicine.

Thanks

25. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But now you get to learn all of the intricacies of forecasting the weather for the Cranberry Bogs. Good times!

xtomx and LIZZIE repped this.