Where In The World Are Former Quakes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Great! I thought Quincy's career might be done. He's 33, and I don't think he played much for Las Vegas. Now he's back in the bay, and besides the soccer, it's a good place for him to continue to probe around with his entrepenurial instincts..

TyffaneeSue, markmcf8 and Goodsport repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Quincy keeps coming back! :thumbsup:

TyffaneeSue, bsman and Goodsport repped this.
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. This may explain why I never got the Juneteenth shirt I ordered. Good for Quincy tho that he’s still fighting to play

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did you pay for it??? :eek:

6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and I emailed them and no one replied. I guess I’ll email them again.

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    B3178506-2F6F-4A4B-8575-0CBB43226F23.jpeg
    Back in the day. Great guy in and off the field.

NedZ, JazzyJ and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 and LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  12. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the US v. Panama game (with Godoy and Cummings), I looked on Wikipedia for information about the current Panama coach, Thomas Christiansen (Danish by birth, but played for Spain). I found this little tidbit: "Christiansen signed a four-year contract with Barcelona in July 1991, when Johan Cruyff was team manager, with a dream of playing alongside their Danish playmaker Michael Laudrup. He started competing as a senior with the reserves, where he soon was joined by compatriot Ronnie Ekelund..."

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  13. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You forgot Alberto Quintero, the best of the three Canaleros that played for us.

14. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right, I did. But at least based on performances in a Quakes’ shirt, I thought Godoy was by far the best of the bunch.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would nice to see the Quakes bringing Justin Morrow back as some type of youth coach.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I agree. Quintero was OK but not that impactful I didn’t think. Scored 3 goals as an attacking wide mid, which doesn’t sound all that bad in retrospect, on the “Espinoza scale”. :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #2417 NedZ, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    DotMPP, mjlee22, Quakes05 and 5 others repped this.
  18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After excelling in interviews and presenting the club with a comprehensive plan, the Dynamo officially appointed Onstad GM on Monday.

Apart from the grammatical error (I don't want to keep being that person, but really?) was there ever any indication that Jesse came in with "a comprehensive plan?" Or that our club expects that now?

And

“There will be a materially higher spend. Pat and I have talked about that objective," majority owner Ted Segal said. "I think when you see the salaries released at this time next season, it will be significantly different than [note: he means "from"] today. It will be fitting for a city of this size and the support Houston gives.”

Added Onstad: “This is a gentleman who believes in the city and is willing to support the club. I’m excited to have an opportunity from a budget standpoint to build this club and make it successful. I wouldn’t have taken this opportunity if I felt I didn’t have the support of ownership.”

Suppose our owner read this, and if so, what was his reaction? "Ted Segal sounds pretty clueless!"

Quakes05 and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Easy to talk big (remember Kaval saying we'd be in the top half of spending in MLS)? We'll see how it goes when it's time to walk the walk.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't know what he told Kaval or the ownership in terms of a plan. However, when he spoke with SSV he talked about some things which sounded like they were part of a plan. Many of those ideas reflected some of the elements in a paper he wrote. If you google this you can read it online.
    Why Invest in Italian Football - FIGC
    https://www.figc.it

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Jesse was kind enough to send me a fairly lengthy document with some of his ideas in it, in response to a long email I wrote him once. So my sense was that he was a kind of strategic thinker. But then there's where the rubber meets the road - that's where it gets hard. Maybe not fair, but I look at Jesse and Doyle as sort of opposites. Jesse was a strategic thinker but the execution of that plan didn't always come through. Doyle executed stuff, but w/o a plan :).

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never understood these cliches.

Just curious but which GM doesn't want to seek or sign "top-end talent"?

Its kind of like, 'oh I'm sure the coach wants to win'.

Who doesn't want these things for their club?

23. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wanting to sign top-tier talent, sure. Having the owner say he'll write the checks, that's a level of commitment that we certainly have never heard. Not to suggest that anyone should spend foolishly, but a budget-centric strategy is going to backfire.

Goodsport repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Wolff and Fisher took over the team in ‘08, Lew explicitly said that the salaries for soccer players were lower than for baseball players, and therefore, they would have no problem signing some big time players.

Of course, they never spent serious money on a player. Maybe after shelling out serious dollars for Huckerby, and then having his career end, they felt a bit gun-shy about signing more players for high dollar amounts?

It’s hard to say what exactly was or is up with our owners, other than that they were and are cheap.

And Jesse had a plan when he came in as GM. I think he changed his plan at least twice, but he pitched Kaval and Fisher a plan.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

TyffaneeSue and NedZ repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seemed to me that when Jesse Fioranelli first came in with Dom and then Stahre, he had plan to go for more of an European look.

Danny Hoesen, Florian Jungwirth, Valeri Qazaishvili, Jahmir Hyka Magnus Eriksson Joel Qwiberg and François Affolter.

When Almeyda came in, he went with a Latin look signing South American, and Mexican players.

Looks like both methods failed miserably.

26. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #2425 JazzyJ, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Contrary to popular belief, to date I don't know if any correlation has been shown between spending and results in MLS. This is the last set of data that I have seen. You can see the data points plotted - SS ranking (essentially finish in an overall standings) vs. payroll ranking from 2007 to 2018. It's just a bunch of dots assembled randomly - no correlation whatsoever. If anything I see a greater concentration of higher finishes for lower payroll rankings!

So I continue to believe strongly that the most important factor in obtaining good results in MLS is "smarts". If you're smart you can be successful, even at lower payrolls. If you're dumb you will fail, even at high payrolls. We haven't been smart in a very long time. The new GM gives us a new opportunity, if we don't blow it.
    [​IMG]

https://www.epluribusloonum.com/201...or-league-soccer-payroll-performance-analysis

SeaJayBee repped this.