Where does Colombia stand at the moment?

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by dapip, Aug 29, 2007.

1. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY

doesn't Heinze play for Manchester?

2. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY

damn son, no offense but that team will take us nowhere....

3. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY

Falcao has too many injuries in his resume, he won't go to Europe unless its a small team and I don't want that to happen because he'll burn out....

Look, Colombia has been sitting around on its ass recieving accolades from its 90s golden age. Growing up, alot of people had respect for us and feared our teams. Now, everyone is putting us down, especially because of the rivalries between Colombians and the rest of South America, particularly the Andean nations who we so arrogantly look down upon. There are so many Peruvians, Ecuadorians and etc that love watching our team fail.

The good news:

This might be a turning point, we no longer have an excuse for being respected. It used to be that people would say, "Colombia is a really good team, they're just going through a bad stretch". Thats not the case anymore, we are an open fridge that everyone is picking at because we started to become very arrogant after the mid-90s, now we're being bitten from all corners.

Why is this good news? Well, if the fed and the coach play their cards right (and the players as well, they grew up with our national heros, they have the motivation) we can become three times stronger than the national team of the 90s. Why? Because we have talent and we are a country of strong soccer fans and a strong and diverse background, both culturally and racially. One can argue countries with African players do well in competitive sports, I won't take up the argument but it can be discussed to one degree or another. We didn't do so bad in the Sub-17, we unfort. faced three really big teams, Ghana, Nigeria, and Germany. We scored on Ghana, and Brazil didn't. We gave Nigeria the biggest scare of the Sub-17 and due to the last 5 minutes we lost.

We have more to prove, we have a name to keep and Colombians are some proud sonsofbitches....

Or the fed can simply f it up until my kids see us in another world cup when I'm 35....

4. Pereira_17

Pereira_17 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    USA
    He transferred to Real Madrid earlier this month. Evra took his spot.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: Giovanni Hernandez, News & rumors (r)

did YOU miss 1998?

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Giovanni Hernandez, News & rumors (r)

Brain fart!!! posted something in the wrong one, let me make the best of it.

When we finished last qualifiers Colombia was probably the fourth team in Conmebol, only that we started with a heavy baggage. With the last results in CA, I think that we are probably 5th or 6th, remember Chile and Ecuador didn't do that well either. Paraguay should be third and Uruguay, given their inmense talent should be fourth, but they do not know how to play together.

Finally the bottom of the confederation are Peru, Venezuela and Bolivia. Geeee, wonder why that group was so even in CA....:rolleye:

7. yj777

yj777 Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Bogota, Colombia
    Club:
    --other--
    Losers always have an excuse for every failure.
    Winners admit their mistakes and move on.
    Look at the arguments and never ending excuses put forward in this thread and see where our team and its fanboys stand...

Nuff said.

8. JPAcolombia9

JPAcolombia9 Member

Oct 27, 2006

seriously who the ******** are you? i think most can agree with me when i say that we are tired of you and your pessemistic take on just about everything. lighten up for ********s sake. if you have no support for our country then get the ******** out of here because theres no use for you here if your going to continue in that manner.

9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In this thread you have asserted we have an overrated side, with overrated talent, are terribly coached, but somehow don't think that we should evolve our style of play? You continually crucify Pinto and yet apparently think he has scraps to work with. These are extreme opinions and they directly contradict one another logically.

My humble opinion is that the truth is somewhere in between. We likely overvalue our talent, but not without reason since our players continually standout with their clubs - they have failed to excel when played together. The phenomenon indicates we should likely change our style of play so that it fits better with what they are doing for their clubs - something I recognize you don't agree with...

I'd also point out that Ecuador and Paraguay have demonstrated in recent years that you don't need a prominently European based team to qualify for the WC. If anything, Uruguay (the highest exporter of talent to Europe per capita in SA) has proven that having a side filled with European based talent guarentees you nothing (they qualified to 02 based on goal difference with us, and failed to beat Australia).

I frankly don't care if Falcao ever plays in Europe if he delivers on his enormous potential and becomes a star at River Plate, for example. We face a generational challenge at the moment, as several key players are transitioning to play in new leagues at the same time and others are just coming of age from a maturity standpoint. The success of our players with their sides abroad, and the success of our clubs within international play reflects the abundant talent we are producing, our FA, our coaches and our players need to make that come together on the NT.

10. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I for one don't mind him.

He's just been going back and forth with a few that do make to many excuses if its not one thing its another.

I'm actually optimistic with our team. We have good players that are playing well at home and abroad. I say that Pinto hates Colombia and that he just wants to torture the people but I don't really believe that. I hope hes just been seeing whats going to work for him because the team that he took to the CA was a joke. We are about to start from scratch, hes called up solid squad for the friendly coming up I think its against Peru.

I don't know if I can go through another qualifier like the last, that shit is bad for my heart. I put to much hope into every game and leave with much pain and agony. I am not going to watch the games this year maybe I'm bad luck. I'm just going to follow the games on the net. See if this does the trick.

I agree with some, that on paper we should qualify 4th or 5th but definitely qualify, it just hasn't happened for us.

11. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good comments, REP.

I hate it when our players go to other countries to sit on the bench. I'd rather them stay at home, but the money talks so I really cant blame them.

12. yj777

yj777 Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Bogota, Colombia
    Club:
    --other--
    Quien soy?
    Mi nombre es Edgar.. Edgar Perea.. y soy TU PAPA..
    TU PAPA JUNIOR de BARRANQUILLA
    :D

13. JPAcolombia9

JPAcolombia9 Member

Oct 27, 2006
    JAJA no pero enserio porque la actidud? pues yo entiendo que no somos el mejor pais pero siempre lo veo hablando a lo negativo.

14. yj777

yj777 Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Bogota, Colombia
    Club:
    --other--
    I never said our players are overrated in the marketplace.
    There are certain people here who think that our soccer is bigger and better than our neighbors', and they don't mind a bit putting other NTs and leagues down in an instant.
    I have a problem with that, especially since we don't really have much to brag about.
    Those people do not like to hear the truth and hide our failures with never-ending excuses.
    Not all my posts are negative, i post more information and article links than most of the people who trash me here.

We have some really talented players, but let's stop hyping people who do not deserve to be hyped, like Troncallega and Pinto.
    Weeks ago a lot of people here we talking about how Rodallega was coming back, blah blah.. now they're are not saying anything..
    guess who was right about him all along?

Let us let time run its course and see what happens when Pinto takes our best players and changes the way we play.
    Time will tell who is right and who isn't.

I agree, most of the players in the much maligned early Maturranga NTs used to play locally, i have never said anything to counter this.

It will be good for our great players to go to Europe to become starters, because they open the door for other Colombian players.

Just like the first set of guys who played for Boca (Chicho Serna, Cordoba, etc) opened the door for other of our players in Argentina..

Just like Hamilton Ricard opened the door for Valentierra in Uruguay..

Just like Mondragon opened the door for Cordoba in Turkey, and now Neko and the other goalkeeper we have there..
    Now every soccer fan in Turkey knows we have great goalkeepers (or at least they think we do :D)

Just like Amaranto Perea opened the door for other Colombian defenders in Spain (Aquivaldo)..
    I want to be proud of our guys, i want to show the world we are good.

What i don't want is people talking S**T about how this NT sucks and how our team is better than yours, and why we didn't qualify to the WCs because Maradona wasn't born in Tunja, blah blah blah

If we are so good, let's PROVE with results, not lame excuses and putdowns to our neighbors.

Let's give Pinto a chance.. it seems like he is finally getting a good team together.. let's give Angustias a chance to play in a friendly to see what he can do.. I still think Pinto is going to fail, just my opinion.. but at least he deserves a chance to do so.

15. JPAcolombia9

JPAcolombia9 Member

Oct 27, 2006
    yj did u watch the qualifiers? do you regularly watch most of the matches which we discuss here?

16. yj777

yj777 Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Bogota, Colombia
    Club:
    --other--
    sure Hermano, i watch / record whatever i can and whatever is worth watching / recording.
    I usually don't comment on games, teams or players i haven't watched play.

I have every game of WC 2006 edited, converted and burned to standard video DVDs. 50-something DVDs.
    I use a custom PVR i built myself to record all the games / TV... it took me over 6 months to research the hardware, built it, install the software etc..

It got a little tricky towards the end of WC 2006, because there were concurrent games and i had to rig a second computer / capture card to record both games.

Also, i have all the Copa America 07 games recorded, (except the final and the 3-4th place game, which i wasn't able to record, cos i ran out of HD space) which i am editing and burning to DVD now to make room for recording the friendlies and qualifiers.

I also have every single WC game on VHS tape from 94 to 04.
    Someday when i have time i will convert them to DVDs, i just need the time to do it..

If anyone has the 07 Copa America final game or any Colombia WC90 games recorded /converted to hi-res mpg format, give me a holler so we can trade games

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But you put us to the bottom of the pile after Copa America. Do you really think we suck that bad at this moment? I think we have the potential to be fourth or fifth, but of course it is going to be hard and probably some of the bottom three teams will be in the contest too. Easy? Nope. Doable? Probably. Also you forget to mention that the other countries have their share of trouble too.

You were right about Rodallega, but he showed some potential and then he proved everybody (but you, ok) wrong. Right now it is impossible to understand why Pinto is so much in love with him.

Here is where, at least I, do not understand you. Should we or should we not change our style?

Speculation is part of the idea of this forums, specially the pre-game threads. You always are allowed to wonder what could have happened and nobody is calling for the second comming of Pibe or something similar, only that what if we didn't start on the wrong foot in the las WC, if our federation had the wisdom some of us showed when we were incensed about choosing Maturranga as our coach. Or most recently if Caracho had scored on the PK. I think it is half the fun of this site.

Well, it is too late to get a different guy. I guess we'll have to see how he fares from now to the end of the year. My logic says he will have it very hard to get some results. Deep down I hope he finds his touch.

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A fine post, as usual, DaPip. Sums up 99% of what I was about to respond.

I think you maybe give the lad too much credit on Rodallega, I think a quick glance at the thread on Hugo will show that around 1 or 2 people were convinced of his form while most were (me amongst them) quite skeptical of his form and waiting to see more of him at Necaxa before passing judgement. The difference between yjj and the rest of the skeptics on Rodallega is the vitriol and hatred he expresses towards the kid.

19. Amercali

Amercali Member

Mar 28, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    heres the bottom line.

if we don't beat venezuela in colombia then we won't make the world cup. if we dont win that game, its all over.

20. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I think he was kidding:rolleyes:.. sarcasm boys...sarcasm...

21. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
  22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sorry!

vitriol [vi-tree-uhl] - Something highly caustic or severe in effect, as criticism.

23. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    puffffffff

gracias hermano - crei que era algo peor y sucio!

24. Alonso#13

Alonso#13 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    New York City
    History for what? First team to fail to qualify after not gaining a single point? No doubt they could accomplish that.