Where does a newbie start?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by TheFallen29, Jul 29, 2002.

1. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just been asked if I would work with the U10 girls. Seems my son's team is adequately staffed so this is where they need the help. Happy to oblige. Not confirmed yet but here's to hoping. Totally excited................!!

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    It is a really good age to work with. Best wishes.

3. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Okay so I met the team yesterday and got to work with the other U10 coach. it seems that we will have a combined practice but for the games we will split into two teams one of which I have. The cool thing about the other coach is that he seems engaging, willing to let me contribute. At first I thought I would have a team for myself but i this arrangement I am happy to play the role of assistant if necessary.

I showed up with questions in mind for the Club Director to get an idea of how they do things (and much of those questions were shaped by y'alls responses so a big THANK YOU) Turns out they are focused on the development of the players and are taking time to balance the need the players have to win and have fun with making sure they learn the right way so I am happy for that.

I did notice though that they played the scrimmage with GK and defenders and two things jumped out at me instantly - the touches the GK got was far less than the other players( the defenders too). Becasue of that they just stand there and drift mentally. THe GK got so out of tune she started giving fashion tips to the defender in front of her, using the training bib to illustrate her point (Hey Ashley, look at me. I am a model on the runway. I am a fashionista!) Totally hilarious!!!

Second thing I notice was that the defender thinks that they have to stay back. I even heard one player say that. I quietly told her once you can get in the game too, move around to get the ball and then on one other occassion ushered her to the side so her teammate could pass her the ball. I ended up telling the other coach to rotate the defenders and GK which he did.

I think those are the things I am going to bring up with him to address. I am going to suggest that we scrimmage with small goals (like 4 - 5 ft wide as opposed to 6-8) with no hands for the GK so the GK is really a defender OR he plays the role of Defender on one team and I do the same on the other and by example show that we can move, get open and not be static and stationary. I figure if they see us doing it they will be inclined to follow.

Oh one more thing, when he was starting scrimmage he said "you play defense you play forward (the player he was pointing to said what's that - totally funny)" I am toying with the idea of telling him to say instead "play in the back" as opposed to play as a defender. I want to suggest that players play in the back but we defend as a team. So I am thinking that at the start of each scrimmage we say that to the players as we assign "positions" (yikes!) Over time it might help frame the thinking of the players??

What do you think? Think I should make those suggestions to my counterpart? He did say that I could take over parts of the practice as I am comfortable so I am think I would do the scrimmage part for a couple weeks.....

Sorry for the long winded post just totally excited (and really i have no one else to tell. my wife is like what the hell is scimmage?)

4. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    You are running into typical problems youth coaches face. 1) players need to unlearn bad technique and tactics. 2) most youth coaches are well intentioned but don't have playing experience so we have a generation of rec players who grew up playing "one way" and not understanding how to support off the ball. It is the American football mentality of "formations" rather than "systems of play" with "positions" being roles rather than "spots" on the field.

The goal is ball mastery by age 12. The key is packing touches into your practices. One solution is to incorporate ball mastery exercises into the warmup. You should be able to pack 500+ touches into the first 20 minutes of practice this way. The USSF solution (one-size fits all) is to use small sided games during practices. 2-8 players per ball gives more touches than 22 players per ball. I prefer the coventional mixed approach (individual exercises through SSGs ending with a scrimmage). I feel its easier for novices to figure out how to apply techiques in a match using this progression.

The other thing you caught on to was the unintended messages by your communications. I never used "defender" or "attacker" to describe a position. (Everyone attacks and everyone defends.) My personal goal was to never say the dreaded "stand here" to a player.

My suggestions: 1. Tact and patience.
    2. Coerver ball mastery drills. http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~dgraham/daily_drill.html This is really U12 level homework assignment because of the repetitive drill aspects. But might not be too old for your players. I would teach the exercises gradually during the warmup section of your practices with a view that they could practice them on their own during the week. Even if you don't use this handout for this team, I think it is useful as a benchmark for what ball mastery at age 12 means.

The reason this age group is so great to work with is that you will see real improvement in their ball skills in the few weeks you have to work with them. And enthusiasm for the game is contagious at that age. Even a little bit of help from you may have a large influence.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The 'fussball table' formation. Every rec team is guilty of it.

In a scrimmage don't assign positions. Teach the concept of width/depth/length offensively and pressure/cover defensively and allow them to 'problem solve' to fill the field (best done in a smaller field, less players). When they start to see, getting numbers up forward or back helps them keep or win back the ball, position assignments are given, but they understand the flexibility of the lineup and helping out. Even the goalkeeper, should be more of a sweeper keeper.

U-10 girls - learn to make them not to be afraid of the ball/players. Using their body to trap the ball (shoulders down). It won't happen a lot in the matches but girls tend to be a bit afraid of contact. Try to break them of that before they become the girls that yell 'ooh, sorry' every time on the field.