When would you expect the official vegas odds for the World Cup to come out?

Discussion in 'Wagering' started by ToonUSA, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I would expect next spring, but if it is earlier I would like to get the action while it is easier to manipulate.

2. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Why Vegas? It's all about "US sports" not soccer or the World Cup. For the World Cup I'm sure they'll just life some European, probably British, bookmaker's odds from the Internet.

All the major bookmakers have had prices for the 2006 World Cup since the moment the 2002 World Cup ended, if not earlier.

Williamhill
    betandwin
    bet365
    gamebookers
    canbet

plus literally hundreds, more....

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    europpean lines will show earlier

4. GoDizzGo

GoDizzGo New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Los Anchorage
    His profile says he's from Southern Cal, so we can assume he's just a day trip or a short flight from placing a legal wager.

Nevertheless, he brings up the topic: What books in Vegas are the most soccer-friendly? (offer the most lines on a regular basis, possibly shows a match or two on TV at the book)

I'd like to know. One'd think with as many UK tourists that go there they'd offer the "big 4" lines every week (EPL,Serie A,La Liga,Bundesliga) and possibly Champions League.

5. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    You got it. I am only 16 though and my Dad or my Dad's friends usually put the bets down for me. Vegas in 2002 was very weak when it came to betting and watching. I hope they have improved for 2006.

So who do you guys like? I know it is early, but I like the Czechs.

6. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Points taken. I would say the only significant difference you'll see between the prices online and at Vegas would be a lower price on the US, since presumably people will be more willing to bet on the US in Vegas than in Europe.

And I always say the Czechs are a good bet going into WCs and European Championships. A great team with prices usually higher than the other top European teams. Of course on the other hand, they haven't exaclty been winning these tournamnents.

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i was wondering when it would come out and the czechs are a good bet i see them going far but my two top picks would have to be england and brazil is seek know other team coming between them unless portugal or another team having a good tourney

8. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I advise you not to bet on one of the biggest chokers of all time England. I had 20 on them in Euro 2004. Brazil maybe but you know the story about SA teams in the Euro WC's. Germany as hosts may also be worth looking into.
    The Czechs are at favorable odds in most books at the moment, 26-1 & 23-1. The thing is they aren't qualified yet, but they could win outright or take one of the best 2nd place finisher spots. I would put money down in vegas but they are stingy and would probably wait until all teams are qualified and the groups are announced until making odds.

9. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    england are chokers but this is a different world cup new era

10. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't have any money on England, that's for sure.

It is possible what they say about SA teams in Europe.... but Brazil has been in 3 of the last 4 finals, won two of them, and has a team that could quite possibly be the best they've had in a generation.

I just don't see how anyone can stop their full-strength squad. I do think a lot of teams will overlook Mexico, and they could make a run.

Last I checked, Bet365 offered Brazil at about 4.00... so not very much at all. I haven't checked since they ripped up the Argies in the Confed. Cup, so I can't imagine it got any better!

11. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    They were at 5 last time I checked. Argentina was at 7 and England at 9.

12. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    this are the lines from my office

Brazil +350
    Germany +600
    Italy +750
    Argentina +500
    holland +1000
    france +1100
    Spaimn +1400
    england +700
    Portugal +1200

risking 100 to win +XXX

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The odds are very low on Brazil. Besides, they will have trouble winning the Cup in Europe.

A European side will most likely win.

Holland at 10-1 looks interesting. With the teams they've had over the years it's a shame they havn't won a World Cup.

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    very true holland has an outstanding team

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had the best team in 74, 78, 90, 98.
    Of course, the best team doesn't always win.
    The Dutch are due to win one of these things.

Besides 10-1 is a decent payout.

16. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10-1 is excellent. But I just don't know... I mean if Robben gets injured, do they still pack that punch?

And I'm not sure I believe Brazil in Europe... they made it all the way to the final in 98, just one game from dispelling all of that. And it was against the hosts anyways. And their best player was mysteriously sick.

That said, I think Germany has a very good chance. But it will have a lot to do with the draw. I really enjoy watching Schweinstiger... and no, I don't speak German so excuse the spelling.

17. GoDizzGo

GoDizzGo New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Los Anchorage
    I could be wrong, but with (almost?) all of the Brazilian and Argentine team now playing in Europe, the "home continent advantage" won't be applicable in Germany.

I think the Brazil odds are probably good to take in order to play against them starting in the quarterfinal, semifinal and/or the final so that one can win regardless. Of course it's very early, but this Brazil team should make quarterfinals quite easily.

The only problem I see for them is them being fatigued by a long club soccer season. It'll be interesting to see what the Brazil call-ups will be now that they've practically qualified already.

18. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denmark and Holland both had the measure of them in that tournament.
    If Schmeichel or Kluivert played average games, Brazil wouldn't have made the Final.

Anyway, what's the fun in betting Brazil 3-1?

19. GoDizzGo

GoDizzGo New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Los Anchorage
    It's probably favorable odds that one can win with if you believe that Brazil will get past the 1st knock-out round. If I had to guess what odds a bookmaker would give you for that, it'd probably be closer to 1-3 odds. Then one can make a schedule of bets against Brazil to moderate your winnings and come out winning some coin.

Betting the World Cup and coming out ahead is difficult, so this is just another tact I'm suggesting.

20. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winning :D

Nah, I'd rather take smaller odds just for them to win the group, even if it's 1.25

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I don't like the Dutch so I could never put money on them. The team seems to be lacking something. The real test will come against the Czechs in Prague.