When will we be free of Beckham?

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by gringotuno, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ruudgullit

ruudgullit Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Peace Up,A-town Down
    I have always been a big Beckham "hater". His "effort" was what eventually won me over. Especially his "effort" in games that some of the "Galacticos" deemed lost causes (at least it looked that way to me by the way they were casually strolling about the pitch). Last season there were games the team came to play, for example the match in Madrid vs Barcelona they were all flying around the field and the first CL game against Juve. I don't know for some if it's lack of motivation, increased age, poor conditioning, laziness, coaching tactics, or not being able to produce this effort all the time because of demanding game schedules. If everyone duplicated Beckham's effort from the onset of games I think you would see an entirely different look Madrid. I'd rather have a team of moderately good or borderline great players that gave maximum "effort" than a team full of superstars that think the competition should roll over and die because of who they are!

2. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    Men hate Beckham because he is good looking, rich, plays football for a living and cheats on his wife and gets away with it.

3. nuff_said

nuff_said Member

Jul 25, 2005
    BigSoccer - RM Forum
    "I'll sell the Bernabeu Stadium before I sell Beckham," Floerentino Perez

President, Real Madrid FC

I'm guessing never

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    You maybe on to something. :cool:

5. rainr2d2444

rainr2d2444 Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Singapore
    Well I wonder where Beckham will be now if he was ugly...

6. nuff_said

nuff_said Member

Jul 25, 2005
    BigSoccer - RM Forum
    NOT Making a zillion dollars a year

NOT married to a spice girl

NOT at Real Madrid (maybe)

7. kraayzizou

kraayzizou New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    St. Louis
    He never would have become overrated enough with Man U to have this debate in the first place... if he was an ugly player of his same quality, he'd be playing somewhere big still, he's a fabulous player...but he wouldn't be the face of Gillette Mach 3, that's for damn sure! :D

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    W[​IMG] With a star like this why would you want to get rid of him ?
    [​IMG]

9. Xerxus

Xerxus New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    In a Palace

Well said.

10. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the argument goes on.....

LOL, I don't think he had gotten away with it considering the whole world knew. But to be honest with you who is the Spice Girl going to move on to?? But in a way I guess he had gotten away with it in that respect. Either way it is fricken hilarious :D

11. Xerxus

Xerxus New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    In a Palace
    I am unsure if it is true or whether it is just a load of bollox by the tabloids.

The woman he allegedly had an affair with is this:
    [​IMG]

Seriously?
    Judging from the picture i am inclided as to say: "No bloody way".

12. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
  13. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Beckham is alright for RM at the moment (total commitment, hard work etc.) and it is expected that he will receive kudos from the fans. However, to suggest the following regarding him is absolutely absurd.
    LOL!

ROTFLMAO!!

Becks better than that Barca Rivaldo? Funny stuff. Not to mention Figo, Ronaldo (especially at Copa America), Zidane etc. playing at their peak or close to it in 1999. The truth is that Beckham was never anywhere close to being the best player in the world, nor will he ever be. He wouldn't even dream of playing at the level of Rivaldo, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo etc. He himself is aware of that. However, he is definitely much above average being amongst the best on FKs and CKs, and has the right attitude and skills to play at RM.

14. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Becks has contributed greatly to Real off the field... Real have gained at least 5 times more than they have payed for him because of his promotions... On the field, he has been inconsistent, but he has showed many signs of returning to form in mid-season last year.... Expect a huge year from him this year.

He is not the best player in the world, but the effort he puts into every game is outstanding!

15. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Beckham is a good player, not great. He does provide one thing and he does this very well, crosses from the wing to attacking strikers. With all the offensive weapons that RMCF has, Becks is a set-up man that is needed. Zidane provides passes right up the middle of the pitch, well they need another option.

Also Becks provides even more allure to the idea of Los Galaticos. Whether you like the name or not or don't care for the all the buzz that surrounds Becks and Real Madrid, it is very real.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    You can't have seen David Ginola play. United won the treble, yet Ginola was PFA and Football Writers player of the year for Spurs.

17. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I agree! He give Real another dimension in attack.

18. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jealousy is always going to be a problem.

Revelian

19. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I deat erpu see n e day.

Revelian

20. judge10

judge10 New Member

May 12, 2005
    That picture makes her look like Bruce Forsyth. I'd sleep with her for that - it would be like shaggin' Brucey!

21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    With Becks signing an extension, it seems Joaquin won't come to Real next year either...

22. mdrite

mdrite New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Miami
    Damn, Damn, Damn, Curse my luck
    2009? What is the man thinking? Now RM will never get Joaquin and Juanfran will never live up to his full potential in Madrid...
    Can't senor see that number 23's market value is on the wane in Asia? Getting hammered and spit on by Tokyo Verdy will not increase shirt sales, mind you. Unless he's keeping no. 23 because of his playing quality... (hahaha, yeah right :rolleyes: )

Btw, who the v^ck handles contract-extensions in Madrid? Look at the renewals of Solari (who could've been so stupid to put in that damn clause...)

23. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, Beckham is responsible for a huge chunk of Real Madrid's brand name sales, in truth you can't just send him out like that. Actually, I think that is the only thing keeping Owen around, he can go if he wants to, the price we'll get we'll always make up for the small amount paid for him, but nobody is pushing him out either. Owen sells n.2 in Asia, behind Beckham.
    Now, I agree completely with you about Joaquin and Juanfran, even though the second has yet to be proven give real opportunities, Joaquin is Joaquin and could explode into a formidable star with the team we have, but... even though I do not like Beckham, I think that he is mostly business and we can do better in the field than him, and in the dressing room (it's almost like he isn't there it looks like), but I can understand Florentino's disposition to keep him. Bekcham plays ok, not extraordinarily ok (he is not going to get any FIFA WP or any other price, he wouldn't even make it in the top 10), but he is a decent player who does have some useful features, particularly where he is going to play now (where he wasn't before): Figo's position. He does cross very well, has a great long pass, and can shoot fouls and dead balls with great precision, and often enough he also gives a very good workrate. I mean, Beckham doesn't suck and he is a reasonable replacement for Figo. True, I would prefer the superior technique and speed of Joaquin, who is better than him in everything except foul kicks, but if you put everything together like I am sure Florentino has, sales and play, it is not such a bad deal. I can understand it. I couldn't when he was CM, but now....it is not the worst thing Florentino has ever done, definitely.
    Also, Beckham is going to age very soon, I wouldn't give him two years, let's see if he survives this one without losing ground, but after a couple I don't think that he would be a starter without any oposition like this. He will gradually let go until 2009, still keeping the sales part. Sooner or later, for as long as Joaquin does not move from Betis, and this year he isn't, Joaquin will come and give us some 3 or 4 years of good soccer, with Juanfran reaching maturity as well.
    Also, coming to think of it, I see Juanfran getting some minutes this year. Beckham could be absent making commercials or just injured. Luxemburgo can still make the team quite easily without Beckham or Juanfran, but he will be an option in these cases that would be thought of no matter what, enough for the chances of Juanfran to get some playing time to be pretty high. Now, if we had gotten Joaquin keeping Beckham, it would be a much harder deal for Juanfran. This one I don't think is such a bad deal.

24. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    He had an affair with that ??...wait, let me erase what I just posted above....sh.t, I can't... :D

25. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    For those in the US, Beckham's on the cover of ESPN Magazine. The article basically discusses his popularity across the globe and the eventual possibility of him playing in the MLS. Barely a mention of the team, or La Liga, or anything like that, but I believe it is the FIRST time a player wearing the white shirt has appeared on the cover of a major US sports magazine.