When Will This Nightmare End?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by SABuffalo786, Sep 14, 2003.

1. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I'm all for a better bottomline for MLS, but this is just disgusting. There have been absolutley no positives to Southlake. Not one. There was no "Naperville Effect", no increased fan base. If anything, Dallas has lost fans instead of making any new ones. That horrendous surface makes MLS look so incredibly Minor League, and the fact that it's a HIGH SCHOOL stadium makes things that much worse. Please Dallas, it's only one year, go back to the Cotton Bowl.

2. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what Dallas really needs is a better team. With that, the pain would be far less. Hopefully, they'll get some improvement in the offseason.

3. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    What about a better coach

What about a "frigging better coach", when is people in USA is a going to realize that a coach could change the face of the whole team, We already try too many years with the BLOODY COACH CARROUSEL" don't you think is time for a change ?? or did we learn something from the KOREANS???

4. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: What about a better coach

A few months ago i started a thread stating what an awful idea it was to sign coaches to multi-year deals (as it's been done with the Dallas and LA coaches), but it seemed some posters were of the idea that this being soccer in the US, we did not have to do things like they do in other places...I guess they were not exactly on target in this particular case....Neither Jeffries nor Schmidt (sp?) have shown ANYTHING this year, but they won't be fired because the money to be lost (i wish i had some figures) would be significant (i guess at least when compared to the team's payroll).....If there is one thing we could be safely certain of in this league is that our average coaches are not good enough to go coach abroad (at least not in England, one of the few places i could think of with competitive salaries and no language barriers) ....Unless they'd like to coach in the A-league or lower divisions, i do not see why we cannot keep our coaches to one-year deals with lots of incentives (for performance) in them....That way if they do not work out we can keep giving opprtunities to other up and coming coaches who could do a better job (not that i've seen/know of many of them). At least it would give teams like LA and DAllas the chance to change coaches and see if this brings something new/better/different/remotely positive to their teams

5. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    Re: Re: What about a better coach

How many MLS managers do you think can speak Spanish? I would venture that it would be a high number.

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: What about a better coach

Of the former coaches that i recall: ZAmbrano (Ecuador), Mondelo (Spain), then there is Steve Sampson (no former MLS coach, but someone i think at some point could be)....There was someone i would never have guessed spoke Spanish very well (at least on an interview i saw) but i cannot recall who it was....I'd be really surprised if of the current bunch two of them spoke decent Spanish .

7. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    The problem is both the coach and the field. Getting rid of either one would be helpful. Getting rid of both would be even better.

Of the two, I think the field is a worse problem than the coach, in the end. The Burn have only lost 3 or 4 fewer games than the Revs, but tied a lot less. If they had a homefield that was worth a crap, they'd have won 4 more home games, maybe tied 3, and the West would be a tight race, even in a rebuilding year.

The Fire and Metro play on it...so what, they don't play at sucklack and if they did, maybe they'd have been the same kind of basketcase the Burn is.

My scenario: Jeffries gets fired in January after the SMU season is over. Schellas Hyndeman (spelling is wrong, I know) will take over, and bring his SMU prodigy with him as the number one pick in the draft.

8. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Re: Re: Re: Re: What about a better coach

That coach that spoke Spanish has a name: Bruce Arena ex DC United coach. Also, former Metros Carlos Quiroz, Boro Mulutinovics and Juan Alberto Pereira

9. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Re: Re: What about a better coach

Do you think that Gus Hiddijk speak some KOREAN???? or Bora speak chinese ? my problem is with the lack of "ACCOUNTABILITY" If a coach can't get results in 4 games we need to get a new coach .......This lack of ACCOUNTABILITY is going to edge MLS to mediocrity ,failure and demise and we the fans need to get more involve, we have the responsability or our SAD ASSES WILL BE POSTING ON A QUILTING BOARD VERY SOON

10. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Friggin great

Hey I love the idea but I hope this guy contract is base on performance I also would like to see Hassan Nazary get a shot ....Lets get the PICK AND HACKS AND BURN THE COACH CARROUSEL.....I hate the M F

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would really suck if the new stadium deal fell through & the team was stuck at Dragon forever.

12. akimmel

akimmel New Member

May 19, 2003
    Frisco
    The stadium deal will not fall through due to the team's current woes. The majority of the funding is coming from city/county sources that don't give a F*** what the current team's record or attendance is. They want a brand new stadium complex to brag about and for their high school teams to play on. Yeah, thats right, high school football and futbol teams will play at this new stadium when its not in use by the Burn. Don't worry about the stadium, worry about the coach and the team.

13. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    so far I'm off by 4 months. But the assistant agreed to coach the team until...who knows...

14. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 2005.