When will the US roster for Jamaica be announced?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I imagine Bruce will be gathering the boys - at least the MLS-based ones - in Columbus pretty soon, if they're not there already.

When do we expect to hear who has been called in?

And, besides Russell and maybe West, who have we heard is coming in?

2. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As per Buzz,

EJ and Cory Gibbs will be called in.

3. Justin Cedar

Justin Cedar New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Edwardsville,IL/STL
    This is also the main question on my mind. I can't wait to find out, and I can't wait to get to the game. This will be my first live USMNT game and I'm jacked out of my mind!!!

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think someone reported that Convey will be flown in from Reading.

Also, there is no real reason to keep Donovan off the roster.

Here the guys that won't be able to make it because of MLS Cup.

Kerry Zevagnin
    Josh Wolff
    Earnie Stewart
    Ben Olsen
    Alecko Eskandarian
    Nicky Rimando

Goff reported that the DCU 3some were being considered and that Esky was "likely" to be called in if they had lost against New England.

Also, Reyna and O'Brien are currently injured.

Beaser has a Eriedivisie match against Vitesse on the 21st, and then the following wednesday they Host Arsenal in a Champion's League match, so he is probably out.

Fulham have a Saturday match @ 3rd place Everton that likely means that Bocanegra and McBride are out.

Preston North End play on the 19th which means that Eddie Lewis will probably be out for this match. More and more, its looking like Convey, Gooch, Howard possibly, Gibbs, Eddie Johnson, and Landon Donovan. Plus fill your MLS players here. Anything after that is pretty much up in the air even though you can make educated guesses for Brian Ching, Edson Buddle, Chris Armas, and Eddie Gaven.

but I think these are the locks:

----Hejduk------Gooch------Gibbs-------????----
    ------------------------------------------------
    --------------------????-------------------------
    ----????-----------------------------Convey-----
    --------------------Donovan---------------------
    ----------Johnson------------????---------------
    -------------------------------------------------

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Will the foreign-based players be called in if they can't make it till Sunday or Monday? This weekend the Euro-clubs all have games so that won't give the US players based abroad much chance to train with the team.

6. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I agree. I understand calling in Russell and West (pre-injury) because they're now out of season. For that matter, Wade Barrett would be a perfectly reasonable callup as well, though he's apparently not as high on Bruce's overall radar screen. But why call Onyewu away when he has league matches on each of the surrounding weekends? With Convey, Bruce could at least talk to Reading to discuss it, since, he's unlikely to play 90 in each of his club matches on the surrounding weekends.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yanks-Abroad has already reported that Russell will be called in. And this link ihas Coppel saying that Convey will be in for the Jamaica match

I'm pretty sure the one question mark players we have form Europe are Tim Howard and Gooch. and maybe even Spector. The others have first team matches.

8. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing we qualified with a game to spare because this is a less than ideal situation in which to have to pull together a starting line-up. However, this is good news for the new jacks, who will get valuable wcq experience (Gaven, Gooch, Johnson). BA usually likes to mix the old with the new. He might have to or decide to have more "new" than he would normally like.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would call Onyewu because we need to see how good this guy is in a real match. Otherwise, we're forced to possibly end up using him in the hex in a high pressure situation with almost no guage on him, if there are injuries or suspensions. He has to play. There is no risk at all of him losing time at his club because his manager is mad, because apparently he is one of the 2 or 3 best players on the team. Convey on the other hand should stay home. This guy is getting little playing time right now, and is in danger of falling even lower on the depth chart.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I agree. But it seems that Coppell understands his plight and seems resigned to losing him for this match.

Besides at least it would give Bruce a chance to see how Convey plays on the left wing. Injuries do happen and what happens if both Beas and Lewis are unavailible?

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, according to US Soccer, the players arrived in Columbus today so obviously they are already training in Ohio.

U.S. MEN ARRIVE IN COLUMBUS, PREPARE FOR QUALIFER VS. JAMAICA ON NOV. 17: The U.S. Men’s National Team arrived in Columbus today (Nov. 8) to begin to gear up for their Nov. 17 clash against Jamaica at Crew Stadium in the final match of semifinal round qualifying for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=124030&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

Of course, US Soccer couldn't be bothered to actually announce which players got called in. Maybe Bruce is keeping it a secret again like the last time we played Jamaica. 'Cause, ya know, that worked so well for us. :rolleyes:

12. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me too!!! I'm so stoked! :D

13. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, just tell me where they're practicing, and i'll go stake it out. :)

14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I would guess...

------Johnson-Twellman
    --Convey---------------LD
    --------Pablo-Sanneh
    --Hejduk-Pope-Gibbs-Russell
    -----------Howard

I'd like to see...

--Johnson-Twellman-Mathis
    ------Convey-LD-Gaven
    -Spector-Pope-Gooch-Russell
    -----------Howard

15. rwhunter4

rwhunter4 Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Home of the Brave
    Seriously, if anyone knows the times and places of where they're practicing, let me know. I'll go check it out and give y'all the rundown.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Is there a hotel near Crew stadium where they would stay? Where do the Crew practice?

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I agree but a good showing with the nats could give him his confidence back.

18. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Four Revs called into camp:

Twellman
    Dempsey
    Ralston
    Reis

19. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    link? I would really like to see what dempsey can do with the nats. I think he could be a pretty good dmid

20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Me likes add Curtain, Marshall, Gaven, Gooch, Russell, GrownAssMan, Buddle and we have a good start.

21. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not linkable info.

Evidently, so does Bruce.

22. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are a couple of hotels near there. the Crew practice in Obetz (i'm pretty sure) which is south of the stadium.. i'm sure some of the really die-hard Crew people can hunt them down.

23. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    The only time Fulham need Mcbride is when someone is injured so Bruce will probably be free to call Mcbride into camp since no one is injured from the match yesterday(although John did have something go wrong).Fulham play that Saturday and will probably be a big match so Boca is out(or at least should be).Buddle will probably be in the squad and he should be. There still should be some quality players for the Jamaica match but, alot of European teams have their matches on Saturday just 3 or 4 days after this match.

24. xkimo_fire

xkimo_fire New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Iowa
    Where's Ricardo Clarke?

These two could be the holding mids of the future

25. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the person with the NE info only heard about NE and not the Metros. That info out to be coming very soon, I'd expect.