When will Mexico's Next World Cup be?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Otaku, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When do you think the next WC for Mexico will be? I heard 2014 will probably be in South America. And I don't think Europe will want to wait from 2006 to 2022 for one so they might get the one in 2018 (or 2014). 2022 might be tme for another one in North America, even then the US might out bid Mexico. So I really don't know what do you guys think?

2. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think Mexico will have to wait another while to host another WC same thing with the US. Look at this way, France first hosted the World Cup back in 1938, the second time they hosted it was in 1998, that's a 60 year difference. Mexico hosted in 1970 and 1986 thats a 16 year difference, I can say that we got pretty lucky there, We shouldn't really be in a rush to host any Major Tournaments especially a WC. If we are allowed to host a copa America I say we should be satisfied with that and we should let other nations who haven't hosted a World Cup get a shot at it before we host it again. Although it would be nice to host for a third time. :D

3. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    According to Blatter there will now be rotation so it will probably happen 2018. The only way it happens in 2022 is if Australia gets it in 2018...which I doubt. Now whether US outbids mexico...thats another story.

Hopefully we do get a 3rd WC...we saved their azzes in 86, how about some payback?

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thank you Sepp "What Else Can I Embezzle?" Blatter.

5. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's what I heard. Basicaly we should get one in North America in 2018 or 2022, and who realistically can host it? just Mexico and the U.S. Canada might be able to, but it would take some work. The thing is I don't think Europe will wait 20 years for a WC with so many able candidates.

I definately think that we should be the 1st to get three WCs before anyone else, just to keep the tradition going :cool:

6. mexicano

mexicano New Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Templológico
    what if FIFA decides to do the WC in the US and Mexico, like the Gold Cup, or like in korea-japan? the final should be in Azteca stadium tough.

7. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I doubt that will ever happen.

8. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    FIFA's already said no more co-hosting events ever. Japan/Korea was a disaster for FIFA. I mean, you had two different countries with different languages and cultures who hate each other, one richer than the other, difficult travel between the two... hey, that sounds like the US and Mexico! :)

I think another World Cup in Mexico would be awesome. I was too young to really enjoy 1986 and 1970 was before my time. It could be possible in 2022. 2010 is in South Africa. 2014 in South America, likely Brazil. 2018 will probably in Europe, for sure, maybe England. That means 2022 would the be the next time for that to happen.

Mexico tried to put together a last-minute bid for 2002 but didn't really get that far with FIFA. This thing with passing around the World Cup like it's every continent's right to host it is insane. Every one should be open to anybody. Maybe rotate it like it has been in the past: one in Europe, the next elsewhere, the next in Europe, then elsewhere. Why the hell does Africa get to host one?

I'd like for the US to host one too but if Mexico got one, damn, that would be a month-long party all across Mexico!!!! Sol for everybody!!

9. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'd love to see new top class stadiums Stadiums , and re-do some of the already good ones like Jalisco, Universitario, El Tech, etc. Give the Azteca new seats (especially in the top), roof, and paintjob, maybe even increase the capacity. One can only dream.....

10. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    First off, a history lesson: The reason Mexico got it twice in 16 years was because in 86 it was supposed to be played in Colombia, but because of all the chaos there it was moved. It wasn't awarded to Mexico until 83.

Also, talking to the soccer writer at the newspaper I work at, she pretty much made it clear that FIFA would love to have another World Cup here in the States, mainly because of the structures already in place, it's easy to travel to, plus the money they could make here.

11. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mexico already had 2, only fair for Africa to get its first

12. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003