When will DC United's Stadium Be Built And Completed?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may have the stingy owner of MLS; but we have arguably the most dysfunctional city council in the U.S. + a stadium site in the ward represented on the council (very shortly) by Marion Barry.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You also have thousands and thousands of acres of wide open land. We're crammed like sardines in here.

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Where in downtown Dallas is Frisco located?

http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=...xas&country=us&tcsz=dallas,+texas&tcountry=us

According to that, it's about a marathon away from the center of the city.

If DC United was trying to build a stadium that far from the District, they could have done so by now.

Although it might be convenient for some, I doubt that a stadium in Woodbridge, VA (closer to DC than Frisco to Dallas) would serve a lot of people good.

In fact, that idea is so pointless that even when United was trying to put in their offices and training facilities in Lorton (next door to Woodbridge basically) the only stadium type of facility they were considering was a 5,000 seater for Open Cup matches.

If you want to go 30 miles west, there is plenty of space out in Loudon County (well, there was, it's all going pretty quickly now too) and a stadium could have easily been dropped in there. Point being, it wasn't a viable solution to the fan base United serves.

I guess when you're a team who averages 9,088 fans a game and considers that a vast improvement over the prior season which was spent on a high school campus, playing in bum********** in a stadium that just looks like a bigger version of Dragon Stadium doesn't matter.

I hope your opening day crowd and the thousands of border hopping Mexicans that come to cheer Chivas drives you guys over 10,000 next year, that'll be a hell of an achievement.

4. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta have Faith.

Please ignore the George Michael riff running through your head right now.
    Oh no, it's too late!
    AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I suspect part of the reason is that, as friends of mine from "the Metroplex" describe, Dallas is sorta like LA in that the metro area population is spread out quite widely, and consequently that most places in the area are equivalent to most other places in terms of how many people are within 30 miles. But still, I do see your point. I would much rather the stadium be in the District than in Stafford (sorry Owen). But still, it's hard to be optimistic about how long it's going to take given the City Council, and given Marion Barry.

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to add a choice that says:

"When United tell DC to fvck off and move to Maryland or Virginia."

7. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I wonder who will actually make a profit first.

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking for the "When Hell Freezes Over Option," but had to resort to "Never."

Never underestimate the ability of the city to make it impossible.