When is Portland going to turn MLS

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Hierarchyfive, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what is going on with the owners group of the Timbers and what we can do to voice our need for an MLS team in Portland?

2. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    Ownership is resolved when TIAA-CREF either bends over, or bends over the city and/or the Sacramento interests trying to buy the team. TIAA-CREF is someone who virtually never bends over.

If that's resolved with the sale going forward, it's for the benefit of the Portland Beavers baseball team. If everything goes south, then the can of worms is opened, and anything can happen.

Some big money needs to step in if MLS is to be a factor. My guess- someone with enough clout has to come in and get someone to build a new stadium, because I seriously doubt that the city of Portland will find any option "profitable" to them regarding PGE Park... other than selling the land to developers. I'd love to be wrong on this, BTW.

3. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    From the looks of things as of today, we'll be lucky to see the Timbers in any League come next year. Minor league baseball seems to be doing it's utmost in destroying any competition and no none in the Portland press seems interested in revealing such a sorry situation.
    Maybe things will shake out in a few months, but right now I'm not optimistic.