Wheelock: andres cantor's thoughts on hispanics&mls

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MD_05, Nov 13, 2003.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    "Whoever is thinking that Chivas USA is going to be a representative of Hispanics in America is wrong," Cantor said. "If they have the same colors, the same tradition, if there is going to be a strong association to the (Guadalajara) team, then this is not appealing to Mexicans who don't support Chivas. If there was a club in the U.S. called Manchester United USA, then you would not support it if you followed Man City. No one is going to say 'finally we get a Mexican team.' Only a Chivas fan will say that."

2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    very interesting perspective. If "Chivas USA" associate themselves with the real Chivas, they will not only piss off the real Chivas fans, they will also receive antipathy from Hispanic fans who don't like Chivas.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have very few quibbles with what Cantor said.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i must say... i have been rather interested in hearing what this man has to say about mls... and i'm glad someone went after it

well done

6. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

7. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    yeah, a good article by sean wheelock

also, maybe some advice before it's too late:
    I don't live in an MLS city, so i see absolutely no marketing the Crew does, if any, but I imagine all teams make this mistake?

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Good catch. That was one of the major problems that the WUSA had reaching out to local fans. They played up each match as a 1 v 1 featuring the local "founder" and whatever "big name" was coming to town. The local squad might as well have been the Washington Generals waiting for the the Harlem Globetrotters to show up.

After a while, who wants to see the Generals?

9. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I think Andres Cantor himself has been missing from the MLS picture for far too long.

Telemundo has him shunted off doing these god-awful Jaguares de Chiapas matches on Saturday afternoons. It's like they only have rights to them and Atlante or something.

I say: ANDRES for Fox Sports World en Español.

He could do MLS in Spanish, Futbol Argentino, Copa Libertadores matches, tons of top quality work with great exposure.

I hope he can get out of his Telemundo contract soon and get back to broadcasting something better than the dregs of the Mexican League matches.

He's too valuable a marketing asset to be rotting away on Telemundo.

10. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Not the Revs. They just don't market period.

11. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, when the Galaxy came to GS the first time around, MetroStars were practically playing an away match, as the match was hyped strongly in the Korean-American community. Each touch by Hong Myung Bo was followed by a chorus of thunder sticks and high pitched screams.

And we thought this was a problem only for the UMSNT... :)

But hey they sold the tickets, right?

12. reverebulls

reverebulls New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Cantor definitely hit it on the head.

Chivas USA will not generate as much success as people will make it out to be.

When you have a rich investor such as Vergara, who obviously has a business interests in other areas having it exposed to soccer, it is the MLS best interest to let him in to hype how the league is doing very well with investors. Of course, it does not help as much as people think in the end.

13. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas=All Mexico Players
    Saprissa=All Costa Rican Players
    San Diego=An American City

This is getting old.

14. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article, but i think the last part has some innacuracies....I believe there is a significant percentage among members of all communities living here who come from abroad who do want to see a player from his/her country, and find it hard to follow an MLS team if this is not the case...Obviously, i disagree with this attitude, but i think it happens more often than Cantor thinks

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What's also getting old is pointing to the map:

San Diego
    Santa Ana
    Los Angeles
    Santa Monica
    Santa Barbara
    San Luis Obispo
    Monterey
    San Jose
    San Francisco
    Sacramento
    Fresno
    Modesto

See a pattern? All cities in Alta California, which lies just north of Baja California.

The state is about 35% Latino.

Chivas San Diego will reflect the hybrid-Latino-ness of the state, an emphasis on Mexican but peppered w/ a melange of everything else.

"Despite strong and continual denials from MLS, a rumor persists that the MLS Chivas club would try to add additional foreign players to the squad, in an effort to make it an all or primarily Mexican side."

Notice how he didn't source his rumor. Because he took it off a poor translation. Great reporting...

Cantor:
    "I live in Miami," Cantor continued, "and when the Fusion was there, I would see ads in the paper that promoted the other team; Valderrama is coming. Etcheverry will be here. John Harkes. They were selling the other team, the rival, not Leo Cullen or Diego Serna or the Miami Fusion. This alienates the home fans, and does not get the attention of the loyal home fans."

I've lived and traveled in a ton of different markets. It's quite common for teams to advertise a star player coming to town, especially when the local team is not a leader. But the Lakers promote opposing teams in order to generate interest (t.v. ratings).

16. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

Telemundo has the rights to the Mexico national team. That is huge right there. They also have the rights to the US team in spanish and the only ones with the right for Mexico´s WC qualifiers. Plus the Olympics. They also had the best team that used to be in Univision (hidalgo,Losada and Longo before he died) and have been partners with Cantor for a while. I don´t think he is a hurry to leave especially when he can also call the world cup for the radio.

17. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    What I find interesting is the selective quoting of this article. Sure, he says Chivas won't be all things to all latinos. That's almost neither here nor there as to whether we should do it or not. The idea has always been that Chivas has the biggest following in Mexico, among a handful of big clubs. Just becuase Chivas can't capture the whole pie (which certainly no one club has managed to do anyway...) says nothing about whether we should do it.

In general, though, Cantor says a number of things that support more "catering to" latinos than the status quo. Cantor says latinos have been ignored by MLS, that US soccer hasn't done a good job scouting them and that latinos don't just support latino players.

TO attempt to use the article as a reason not to do Chivas seems a stretch.

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks to me as though Cantor is pretty much restating what Don Garber said recently:

"This is a very storied and famous Mexican club that has millions of fans here in the United States," Garber said by telephone. "To expand their brand into an American soccer league will give us the ability to tap into their current fan base and give us a very credible and meaningful team."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20031027-1141-soc-mexico-mlsexpansion.html

My understanding is that Chivas are a bit like the New York Yankees or Dallas Cowboys of Mexican soccer -- fans either love or hate them, and there're few with neutral feelings toward them.

Presumably, Vergara's aim is draw 2 new sets of fans to Chivas USA games in addition to the fanbase MLS teams draw now: 1) Longtime fans of Chivas who will come out to root for Chivas USA, and 2) Fans of who've grown up hating Chivas, and will show up to root for any team playing Chivas USA that week.

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Exactly, except throw in the international factor absent in baseball (World Cup) and Chivas becomes the MFL incarnation/representation of the national team. This is how Chivas surpasses the aforementioned.
    3.) Central American fans who will automatically hate Chivas.

20. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    The brings Sean Wheelock's good articles on soccer to a grand total of 1. Interesting thoughts from Cantor, and Wheelock, for once, had the good sense to get out of the way.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which could prove interesting because the early word out of the MLB offseason is that "due to the success/popularity" of the FIFA World Cup, Major League Baseball is apparently on the verge of putting it's stamp of approval (and releasing players) for a March 2005 FIBA World Cup.

I for one would find that quite exciting (assuming it doesn't interfere too badly with the Hexagonal!)

22. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Not in Chicago

[​IMG]

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Cantor is dead wrong on one point. The Latino fans are slowly coming back to MLS. If you walk around RFK, you will see a lot of Latino families and Latino yuppies at the games. I'm pretty sure this is true in other markets, especially LA.

Everyone seems to have this image of Latino Soccer Fans as young men with working-class jobs that hardly speak English, etc. But that's not the real Latino market. The middle class families (and there are LOADS of them) are the sweet spot for MLS and the sponsors.

And those people, ever so slowly, are turning out, buying season tickets, etc.

Sachin

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City