What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Apr 15, 2019.

?

What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

1. There's absolutely no preference

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. There's a preference - it's deserved because they fit better with the system

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. There's a preference - it's deserved because they're better players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Way too early to say if there's a preference

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Not ready to indict but early signs are ominous that there's an MLS bias

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. It's obviously a bias and it's bad for the USMNT

53 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I know it is somewhat arbitrary but I wanted to get an idea of which players people believe are ready right now based upon their performances right now and you have to draw the line somewhere. I think that is a good place to draw it. I didn't want to get into speculation on players with high upside that MAY be ready soon. It is also the reason I want to avoid players that have been injured. It also keeps with your focus on meritocracy. The players that are in the second team or youth team may have convinced their teams that they will be top players but they haven't (to this point) convinced the managers that they belong in the first team (at this point in time.

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Holmes isnt the best midfielder or winger to play the game, but that shouldnt be the question. He is clearly better than Roldan.... make that all the MLS midfielders that we have seen this year.

1198801154085244928 is not a valid tweet id

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Five of these guys would be in my first XI. Add, Steffen (had a rough weekend... hopefully he learns from it), Alvarado, Yedlin, Holmes, and Sargent and we are one shy of a starting XI.

Adam's and Weah are hopefully close to be back from injury. While we wait, we could be rotating kids through to help them adjust down the road, go with a guy like Sabbi who has had some success in a lesser league (all these guys should get a look), maybe play Robinson and push Dest higher up the field, and of course, Morris and Cannon should get a shot.

1198790080267198464 is not a valid tweet id

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Ok. But there’s not a USMNT player in MLS who would make the first team a Dortmund now either so it’s a limitation that favors MLS simply because it’s a minor league that’s easier to play for.

Namdynamo, Sufjan Guzan and russ repped this.
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    another way to look at it:

why does playing in MLS mean that the player is “ready right now based upon their performances right now” and playing in the reserves of elite teams doesn’t? I don’t think it’s correct to say that they’re definitionally too raw or young - they’re just not better than the first team alternatives right now.

can we agree that the comparative group (US MLS players and the reserves) is all not good enough to play for the first team at Dortmund or similar teams? Or do you think that some of the questionable players Berhalter is calling in are potentially good enough?

Do you think that these players wouldn’t start in MLS even though they outperformed their MLS peers in U-xx competition and that’s earned them the opportunity to train/compete with the best?

do you disagree with my assertion that the top 100 reserves will have more future UCL players in it than B2/championship/MLS?

I understand why someone would draw the line there but the consequence of that decision by the USMNT coaching staff is certainly something that works to MLS’ benefit. To the extent that some of these reserve players are better than the alternative right now, that hurts the USMNT in the short run. If it keeps players in MLS as opposed to training with proven programs, that hurts the USMNT long-run.

Patrick167 repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    First, so we are on the same page, I really didn't intend this to be a Europe vs MLS conversation. I tried to word the "rules" so that it was only a look at what players we have in Europe that are national team level right now (based upon subjective opinion of the poster and on a few simple eligibility requirements: must be in Europe, must not be playing in a youth team or a second team.

second: my reasoning for drawing a line is simply that I think a line does need to be drawn somewhere. If there is no line, than it gets unmanageable (IMO). I understand that it is somewhat arbitrary but my opinion is that youth players that are playing against youth and players that are playing in 4th division (or whatever level the 2nd team is playing at) shouldn't be deemed ready now. I am not saying that they aren't or that they shouldn't be called in for evaluation but if you are writing a starting lineup, it is difficult to say that a player (no matter how talented he seems to be) should be in a lineup if he hasn't played above the U17 or U20 WC level (for example). I can see an argument for a guy like Richards with Bayern but primarily I wanted this to be a right now, that reduces the amount of speculation on ceilings, projections etc as much as possible. Accurately predicting the career trajectories, even for the "sure things", is a real crapshoot. For now, I'd prefer to stay with what we know. You want to look at a guy like Holmes, for example? he has been playing in a first team for awhile now (as far as I know). He has a track record and has had a chance to settle to the point that we should have a somewhat better idea of what we get with him.

Third: this is just an exercise in what players are "ready" right now based upon the criteria I listed and the opinion of anyone that wants to respond. It is, in no way, shape or form, supposed to indicate which players should actually be called into camp (there are far more reasons to be considered for that...some of which include reasons that you have mentioned.)

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    fair enough. As I mentioned, it’s a defensible opinion even if I disagree with it.

My main concern is that it’s entirely possible that this cutoff favors less talented players (right now as opposed to the future) over those who are competing to play at an elite level. i think that’s absolutely the wrong incentive to give.

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal

no. I didn't say make a team with the best players and when there aren't any left, just fill the roster spots with the leftovers. What I intended (it may not have been clear) is for people to fill the spots with players that are legitimately ready for USMNT based upon their opinion and a couple of basic criteria (no youth or second teams). Any spots that didn't have someone would have an empty slot. If a position was 2 or 3 deep, then include all if you choose.

It is not a question of who would or would not make Dortmund's team. I think it is pretty safe to say that most of the players we have in Europe probably wouldn't play for Dortmund. Heck most of the Americans at Dortmund didn't or won't play at Dortmund. Gio looks promising. What about the others? There are still at least three there now right? (I'm drawing a blank right now).

I simply said make a roster of players based in Europe. i also said that if there is a position where you don't have a player then leave it blank.

If it were MLS I was asking about, you could leave positons blank also. (assuming you don't believe there is anyone that is at a high enough level. Of course you, as the poster, get to determine what is a "high enough level".

If, for example, it were MLS I would probably leave forward completely blank. Jozy would be my pick as one of the two but he is injured so much we can't depend upon him. Zardes i might consider a backup on the wing competing with Ariola (similar to how Klinsmann mostly used him). There are a few players that I believe have the potential to fill that void in Toye, Ebobisse and possibly a few more eventually (Pepi?, Ferriera?) but they have a ways to go. So that leaves my forward spot completely blank. (that doesn't give me two more spaces to put in extra defenders)

9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    That's fine but that question (who will be best for the NT) or should we waste time with a player that is marginal at the expense of a player that seems to have a higher ceiling is 100% disjointed from my "exercise".

Agan, it isn't even asking people t say who they think SHOULD be called in. someone could say, for instance, that Cameron is good enough to be in the team (and hence, on my list) now but they don't think he will be good enough when the hex or wc comes. They are two completely separate questions. What do we have right now, and what do I think we will have tomorrow? I'm asking about now.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    understood. I’m saying that there may be players who can help right now who are playing in the reserves for elite teams. If these same players had simply chosen the easier path to minutes, they would be inside of your boundaries.

Making a hard line based upon reserve play doesn’t even give them a chance to compete for a spot - I think that’s short sighted.

Dest didn’t become much better when he stepped in and played first team minutes - he was the same player as a reserve but we simply learned that he was good enough to compete at that level. If Reyna, Ledezma, Llanez and Richard are soon to be practicing with the first tram, I think they could easily outperform the lower end of the USMNT pool RIGHT NOW. YMMV.

11. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    That may very well be true. I don't argue that possibility. I just think that the level of uncertainty goes up significantly the further down into the development system you go down. talent analysis is subjective and difficult enough...especially when comparing different players in different leagues across Europe but even more so when you are projecting how a player will do playing up, so to speak. I can think of two players right off the top of my head that stand out as players that were with elite teams, that seemed like they really had a chance to be top USMNT players but haven't done so (at leasts to this point): Greene and Zelalem. Zelalem is having trouble latching on in MLS and Greene many argue should be included in the pool but is hardly at the level many projected. Throw in players like Josh Perez and countless others. We have had two unqualified successes in Pulisic and McKennie to this point and a few others that seem well on their way (Sargent...Weah if he can heal) but until they can make their first team (at least on the bench) I think it is too early to pencil them in.

As far as competing for a spot, they can do that in at least three ways:
    1. get called in the USMNT for a camp/evaluation based upon scouting reports, detailing current level/progress at club team, youth nt camps and games (not qualifying for my hypothetical team does nothing to eliminate that...)
    2. get called in to a camp based upon the manager's evaluation of that player's potential (not because he feels he is ready but because he wants to let him get his feet wet, as a reward or whatever...mgr's choice/prerogative....again, these players would not qualify for my arbitrary line)
    3. start at least making the bench. I said playing but there is obviously going to be an argument that can be made that making the bench at a team like Bayern is a significant accomplishment in and of itself that can't be ignored.

Finally, for what it's worth, if I was the manager, I wouldn't pick my team based only on who can help me right now (I would not use the rules I imposed). I would lean toward youth and would try to exclude anyone over 30 or so that wasn't an exceptional talent (yeah I know...) I would try to focus on finding a few vets in the 24-28 age range, Brooks, Long, Ariola, Yedlin, Morales are possibilities.. Holmes I don't know one way or the other and there are more...Hollingshead for instance. The main thing is that I would really want to focus on focus on finding the right youth (to me this does not mean following my exercise.). I would like to see some of the U20's get more of a chance but I also feel that during the season, it is also important to weigh the benefits of a callup. It probably had nothing to do with his not getting more than a token appearance but I think Pomykal needed the rest and getting games could very well have set him back for the season or even his career.

DHC1 repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I appreciate the civil back-and-forth - we simply disagree but i don’t think your argument is irrational / hypocritical.

On this issue, in summary, I don’t want to draw an arbitrary line which specifically excludes talented players who can help right now (e.g., Dest a few months ago) simply because they chose to compete against the best players in the world and haven’t hit that high bar yet. Drawing the line so it includes top reserve programs would add maybe a handful of players - doesn’t seem so hard for a coach to add them. YMMV.

At the very least, I’d hope that they’d get a look as soon as they get one minute for the senior team - sure, you can exclude the Haji Wrights of the world who got minutes only because their first team was decimated with injuries but that different from a hard and fast rule.

FWIW, Greene and Zelalem are totally different. Gedion was a very young prospect who was never really close to the first team IIRC; he’s more similar to today’s Konrad de la Fuente at Barcelona, whom no one is talking about at the senior level. Green was prolific at Bayern II so that’s a better comparison. I also think Greene is a player who is and has been worthy of roster consideration (which he’s not gotten under Arena/Berhalter).

13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Thank you. I didn't take it that way.

FWIW, there are many on this list that I disagree with or agree with. One of my criteria on whether or not to engage is their level of civility. I get frustrated sometimes when I don't think you understand my intent (perhaps due to my lack of clarity at times) but I do appreciate your attempt(s) to keep it civil. The topics we discuss really aren't that important...they're not worth lowering ourselves by attacking others.

As you say, it is ok to disagree. Several years from now we may look back and see that we are both wrong.

14. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    The reporting chain:

Gregg Berhalter < Earnie Stewart < Jay Berhlater < Don Garber

one can conclude, we have several Commissioner Picks similar to MLS All-star game.

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I thought this was creative thinking (FYI - there's nothing here about contractual matters) but in terms of thought process, here's a quote from Arena that is spot on in terms of percentages:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/16/bruce-arena-says-two-thirds-us-player-pool-will-come-mls

Speaking in a live Facebook Q&A with fans on Friday, Arena said that “two-thirds” of the USMNT player pool comes from MLS.

“Probably two-thirds of the pool is comprised of players from Major League Soccer,” he said. “So this camp's going to be very important. US Soccer has anywhere [from], by anyone's count, 10 to 20 players that are outside the US, and by that I refer to players in England, Germany, Scotland and Mexico. Therefore, we are going to depend on a lot of players from Major League Soccer.

I'm sure that it's purely coincidence that USSF pretty much hits the very same number across almost all camps for MLS participation. Nothing to see here.

Patrick167 repped this.
  16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    MLS players only make up 50% of the POY nominees. My guess is that they were confused by the math.

Patrick167 repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #592 DHC1, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    [moved]

A lot of the discussion about the roster and MLS vs. other leagues often comes down to "well, Berhalter is going to pick the players that he's familiar with"

I think a big portion of being familiar with a set of players is also knowing where their ceiling is and in this respect, Berhalter has done a terrible job in picking (and continuing to pick) players who simply aren't good enough. What's the point of familiarity if the players you are familiar with and loyal to are below the standard necessary?

If anyone should have known that Trapp wasn't good enough, it should have been Gregg!

bsky22 repped this.
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If US Soccer thinks Ream and Long are two of our best players, we have much larger problems than math.

bsky22 repped this.
  19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Ream and Long are one thing - Zardes as POY?!?!?!?!

I'm one who appreciates Zardes' engine and luck but this is crazy.

Also, the fact that Gregg has built the team around the regista position and there isn't one on this lackluster list says a lot about how the year has gone.

Patrick167 and bsky22 repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Whom would you list as nominees?

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    For posterity's sake, I predict that Ream will return to MLS/USSF as either a player or coach in reasonably short order just like Omar Gonzalez did.

22. mannycoon

mannycoon Member

May 13, 2009
    A lot of guys better than them missed a lot of time and barely played this year. For an award like this playing a lot of minutes matters, regardless of whether they were the right choice for those minutes or not. Weston and Pulisic are really the only viable choices to actually win though.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Morris could easily be POY.

24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I fully expect Morris to win it as I believe over the years, performance on the US team is supposedly what they use to judge and McKennie hasn't been his best for the US awhile Pulisic has missed too many games, although his year thus far at Chelsea has been impressive. Then there's the part of me that loves watching heads explode and is thus rooting for a Zardes win.

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC

Here's a crack at it.

Goalkeepers (2)
    Zack Steffen/B1, Ethan Horvath/Belgium,

Central Defenders (8)

John Brooks/B1, Matt Miazga/championship, Tim Ream/championship, Alvarado/LigaMx, Carter-Vickers/championship, Cameron/championship, Palmer Brown/Austria, Richard/German reserves

Central Midfielders (8)
    Tyler Adams/B1, Weston McKennie/B1, Morales/B1, Duane Holmes/championship, Green/B2, Diskerud/Norway, Ledeszma/Dutch reserves, Williams/Islands

Outside Back/Wing (7)
    DeAndre Yedlin/EPL, Dest/Dutch, ARobinson/championship, Tim Chandler/B1, Eric Lichaj/championship, Fabian/B1, Moore/Spain 2

Attackers (14)
    Christian Pulisic/EPL, Timothy Weah/France, Josh Sargent/B1, Tyler Boyd/Turkey, Gall/Sweden, AronJo/Norway, Wood/B2, Amon/Norway, Siebatcheau/France, Sabbi/Sweden, Reyna/German reserves, Novakovich/Italy2, LLanez/dutch reserves, Wright/Dutch

Starting XI (352)

Puli/Sargent
    Dest/morales/adams/morales/yedlin
    alvarado/brooks/miazga
    Steffen

second XI (442)

Weah/Boyd
    Ledesma
    Green/Holmes
    Palmer-Brown
    Fabian/Ream/CarterVickers/Chandler
    Horvath

Namdynamo, Mahtzo1 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.