What's wrong with KFA? (official thread)

Discussion in 'Korea' started by rkim291968, Nov 2, 2004.

1. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Subject says it all.

2. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There ********ed in the head i thought you would of known by know

3. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    what's wrong with kfa? EVERYTHING.

that one word just ends this thread..

4. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Bureaucrats.
    They find joy in messing things up for people who are capable. Their job is to make sure resources do not go to these people who are useful.
    I think Koreans are among the worst in the world when they're stuck with bureaucratic duties.

5. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    lack of football intelligence...

6. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    i.e. bureaucrats.

7. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Double digit IQ of the KFA members. Had too many headers in their playing days.

Factionalism, favoritism.

Relying on Jung Mong Jun to make all the important decisions.

Don't know much about other teams. Can't provide effective data on opposing teams.

8. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    I think a lot of people just hate KFA without any valid reason. I wonder how many here actually made an effort to find out logics behind KFA's decisions. It's not like our media are of any help. And no, I don't have any relatives working for KFA.
    If there's anything to complain about, it's the government, its adminstration, system, and ultimately us who make up the whole thing by harboring all of them.
    Did you know KFA is just a private organization that has absolutely no power to change anything? I bet a lot of people still belive that KFA is funded by our tax.

9. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LOL explains why we have a ************ coach

10. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    What do you mean? who do you think chooses the national coach, and manages the K-League? The government? While it's true that KFA's not funded by tax, and it's budget's only 1/5 of JFA, it still is the biggest sporting organisation in Korea (it's possible that KBO is bigger but, hm).

11. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    In Korea, most of these sports organization is funded by a wealthy chairman. In soccer, e.g., its Jung Mong Jun. How much a chairman happens to fund the organization and the sport largely decide how successful the sport is going to be. In return, these chairmen get a bit of media play and sometimes wields power beyond what they should. In case of soccer, Jung is actively involved and probably decides (or is the final approver) on important issues. Without Jung, Korea NT would not have been very successful in WC02. So, yes, KFA has power, and it comes from Jung's $$$$.

12. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea

What I'm saying is a lot of criticisms on KFA are unfair. KFA does choose NT coaches but with given budget which is far less than say JFA or SaudiFA. K-League is managed by KPFA.

13. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    If power is all money, yes you're right. But there are things that money can't change. 4강제도 is one of many examples that money can't change. Military duty is another.
    About Jung Mong Jun, he did benefit in terms of media exposure by being a KFA head. In fact, he tried to leverage '02WC success and ran for presidency. Unless he used the position solely for his political ambition and didn't care about football at all, I don't think it's something to be condemned. G.W. Bush utilized his father and ownership in Texas Rangers to become Texas governor and later president.
    Lastly, I don't think Jung has that much money to fund entire budget of KFA. KFA's major source is FIFA and sponsors. If Jung is being any help financially, it's probably having Hyundai as one of its sponsors and maybe hyundai buses for various teams.

14. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Jung picked Hiddink.

15. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    And stuck to it. He is funding KFA and made many right decisions for KFA. Hiddink decision is one. Pushing Korea to co-host WC02 with Japan after Japan apparently was winning the "hosting" push is another.

I've started the thread to get a discussion going on KAF members, not Jung. To get back to the topic, I will add a few more wood to the fire.

KFA is dominated by former soccer players who are poorly educated (yeah, they went to college but how many time they went to a class?). Other than coaching job here and there, they had no real jobs in their lives. Very few jobs in KFA pay well. So they have to kiss up to Jung to keep their precious jobs. All these lead to corruption and political intrigue. In this enviornment, it's hard to do a good job.

Some of these statements I am making comes from my deeper knowledge in how Korean Boxing Association was run in last 30 years.

16. the_13th_redneck

Sep 3, 2002
    Boxing run by ex boxers?
    That's great isn't it? They got to use their heads after their brains have been bashed out.

17. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    A scientific study claimed that soccer players lose more brain cell with all those headers and header practices than boxers ever do.

And I boxed for 12 years but I can still read and write :cool:

18. buggy

buggy New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    it's always helpful to still be able to read and write...! :D

i heard this study as well... I guess football players use the header many more times in their life than boxers get hit on the head. But boxers probably get hit on the head much harder when it does happen...

19. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Technically, not on the head. Rather, boxers get hit on the jaw and face. When a jaw is hit left to right or right to left (we call it a flush), it jars the brain up an down inside head causing concussion. Luckily, I had a boxing style that stayed away from getting hit which helped. When I play soccer, I avoid hard header as much I can.