Whats with the kids?

Discussion in 'England' started by Hushx, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always wondered this, and I know they probably do this here in the States as well, but it seems much more prevalent in European leagues; Why do the players walk out with children at the beginning of the game? Is it some tradition? Is it some sort of safeguard against bad showmanship amongst players of the two teams when walking out onto the pitch (i.e., you wouldn't slug or swear someone on the other team if there are children around)?

2. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Match mascots, usually from kids from the youth set up or local brats who've won a prize. Helps the clubs maintain some sort of semblance of a link with the community despite the fact that they've become financial juggernauts who fleece their supporters at every opportunity.

3. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    Remembering Everton charging kiddies families stupid amounts of money to become mascots. Absolutely disgraceful. :mad:

4. CaptVimes

CaptVimes New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Traditionally was supposed to be a special day for the kids as said. Shown around the club, given the kit they wear and meet the team. Was usually from the youth teams or junior supporters clubs, sometimes even players kids. Though some clubs (not all thankfully) are now charging vast amounts for the privilege.

5. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't stop Roy Keane...

6. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i remember everton were asking like £800 just to walk out onto the pitch with full kit and have a 5 minute kick around and go sit down and watch the match woohoo

my local team has mascotts and they go into the dressing rooms meet the players get free kits and watch the match and i think they get free food aswell and i think its like £10 or it might be free i think its a prize to be won

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    I remember hearing somewhere that it was some crap about being united. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. :confused: