Whats Wenger going to do?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by 433tom, Nov 2, 2006.

1. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
  2. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    This is a Sepp Blatter idea so I don't think Wenger or anyone else will ever actually have to worry about it..;)

3. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Ah, they would just go to the local pub and hire 6 locals, pay them a couple of quid to sit on the bench and watch the matches. :)

4. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    6+5=11.. I think Sepp has in mind that at any given time you must have 6 locals on the pitch...
    That would sure change the balance in European football.. In what way, it's hard to say but it would make for an interesting debate..:)

5. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The G14 will fight it tooth and nail. This would potentially affect a number of their clubs, and I don't see them accepting this without at least protesting to the EU.

6. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Suppose it comes down to what constitutes home-grown. I think similar proposals in the past have included players who have been at the club from a certain age or certain length of times. Some of the proposals also included players that had been in the country but at another team from a certain age.

i.e. players like Senderos, Diaby, Fabregas, Clichy etc. might still be classed as homegrown if they were to go along those lines again.

Anyone got the definitive definition for this latest propsal?

Don't Scotland already effectively implement something similar? I think they have something along the lines of 2 or 3 players having to be under 21 in the matchday squad which pretty much means they are home-grown talents on the most part.

7. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, somegrown does not have to mean English. Probably Rossi and Pique would be considered homegrown by us, even though we got them from the Barca youth system. Arsenal players like Cesc would be the same.
    Chelsea would suffer more.

8. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ^Maybe they'll just buy more Englishmen ..

9. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Rule B8.1 in the Scottish League Handbook states that each team must have at least 3 U-21 outfield players in the 18 man match squad.

The complete handbook in .pdf format:
    http://www.scotprem.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/3e/7c/0,,10002~31806,00.pdf

10. Moederneuker

Moederneuker New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    He'll simply sign them when they are 8 and when they are 16 or summat they will fit in as home grown

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Too, too easy...

12. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cheers mate, good to see my time as Aberdeen manager in FM 06 wasn't completely wasted as that's where I remembered it from. :)

13. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A bit random, but when UEFA say local, what does that mean in the England? Guys like Fletcher, would they count towards this rule? At the moment, our English players would be

Rooney, Smudge, Scholes, Neville, Ferdinand, Carrick..then the guys I'm wondering about would be Fletch, Giggsy. I'm probably missing some people, but I'm really just wondering about the rule.

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Since the stated objective of the proposed rule is to boost the national teams, it wouldn't make sense for them to be thinking of calling Rossi and the rest "homegrown" when he plays in England.. They mean players who qualify for the national team of the nation they play their club football in.. Rossi in Italy/USA.. Rooney in England.. etc.. Not which country they went to a youth academy or the team that gave them their first team starts..

15. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That would make more sense but remember this is Blatter we're talking about here. :) It's still a little confusing to me as past propsals of this nature have included foreign players brought up through academys irrespective of where they are born. Like this one for example.... http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20060414/ai_n16169243

It still remains to see what UEFA, and as already mentioned the EU and G-14 make of it all as it sounds like he's hoping they don't kick up a fuss. Unfortunately for him I can't see it being accepted without a fight.

16. Moederneuker

Moederneuker New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    If Freddy Adu can be considered as home grown then Wenger can find the players. And the decision is with the intent of boosting national teams but it is down to the players. Reo-Coker is cockney but he can choose to play for Sierra Leone.

17. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Freddy Adu is a US citizen who came here at the age of 8 and has played all his organized soccer here and played for US national teams..
    Don't see how that has any meaning to this situation unless you are saying Wenger will just start looking for talented kids and get them naturalized in the UK before they even turn pro.. ;)

18. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that they will make the definition of "homegrown" broad enough that most clubs will have little trouble complying. For instance, "homegrown" may be defined a player who signed his first professional contact with that club or a player who comes to the club before a certain age.

19. Moederneuker

Moederneuker New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    My first statement...
    Homegrown should mean the players can play for the National teams of the countries they play in. "CAN" being the operative word here though.

20. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It doesn't feel right but I find myself agreeing with everything Wenger says there. :eek:

22. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Finally ..
    Cheers .. for good football .. ;)

23. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    IMO the only restriction that should be in place is that a club's squad (not necessarily any match-day team) should include a cirtain number of players brought through the club's academy, nationality not considered.

This prevents the Madrids and Chelseas of the world from gaining success without providing a platform for development of youngsters to further the game.

To the best of my understanding, there's already restrictions on squad players in European competition, something like at least 3 local (ie ENGLISH) players in the 26(-odd) man squad as well as at least another 3 home-grown (ie from the academy), and these can overlap (eg Richardson counts as both [hence his continued presence at the club ??? Food for thought]). Bringing such restrictions to a match-day squad would be ridiculous IMO.

And one flaw in Blatter's reasoning is that this only promotes football in the countries with well-established leagues. What then happens for a country like Kenya? Our league (leagues actully, long story) is no longer recognised by FIFA, how does the national team grow if our contingent of foreign-based players are outcast from their European club teams because Nantes must field a French kid with no hope of ever playing for his national team to meet FIFA's regulations?

It's a stupid, stupid idea by Blatter, and Arsene Wenger is 100% right.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    There are a few issues to be fixed but an idea like this is the only way forward. Great to see Blatter continue to force the issue. Only managers who have no faith in their ability to promote youth will be scared by these proposals. Given the climate of the current game, anything which helps youth development is a good thing.