What's the future for Trumpism?

Discussion in 'Elections' started by charlie15, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want the Dems to sort out statehoods for DC and PR. That would lock up the Senate for a good few years plus in all likelihood increase the number of minorities represented by 4%.

Dyvel repped this.
  2. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Without Trump is there Trumpism? When he fades away then who grabs the mantle? Will this be like Islam when one group takes the Shia route and the other the Sunni way? Will it splinter when too many false prophets show up? Trump ain't gonna live more than 10 years. Will the majority of his followers become dispirited and wither away? Will a hardcore emerge trying to keep the faith?

xtomx repped this.
  3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a good piece on what Pompeo has being doing in the past few weeks as he attempts to polish his turd record as Sec of State ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/14/mike-pompeo-lashes-out-reign-ends
    The last days of Pompeo have been played out in a blizzard of self-congratulatory tweets, at the rate of two dozen a day, as he seeks to write his own first draft of history.
    The political point-scoring and aggrandizement have made the use of the megaphone provided by a government Twitter account, with 3 million followers.
    Some of the tweets have been factually incorrect, for example blaming Barack Obama for an arms control treaty that was signed by Ronald Reagan.
    Other claims are contradictory, like his insistence the US has restored deterrence against Iran, alongside his allegation that Tehran is a greater threat than ever. On Tuesday, he called Iran “the new Afghanistan”, alleging – without evidence – that it has become al-Qaida’s hub of operations.
    ------------------
    The portrait Pompeo has painted of Trump’s America has been in dramatic contrast to recent events. Two days after Congress came under an unprecedented violent attack by a mob egged on by Trump, Pompeo blithely tweeted: “Being the greatest country on earth is not just about our incredible economy & our strong military; it’s about the values we project out into the world.”

charlie15 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once the Trump dynasty is felled the white supremacist right will fall under the spell of an extremist, someone with the right- wing appeal of Wayne LaPierre, Ted Nugent or any one of several evangelists. Only the nut jobs will follow.

The center and left of the party will regroup and disown the Trump legacy, hoping to regain the center. Fox News will follow.

My concern is that it may not take long for that to happen and the Republicans will be able to field a credible centrist candidate in 2024.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that's what continues to baffle me about Cruz and his ilk who are maneuvering to inherit Trump's base. how in god's name can you expect to control a bunch of people who have never met a whacko conspiracy theory they won't embrace?

unless you're a 100% sociopath like Trump, you'll never be able to keep up with their demands for nonstop lunacy and pretty soon they'll turn on you.

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Those who achieve high levels in politics are rarely lacking in self confidence.

bigredfutbol and Chicago76 repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As Tim Miller points out, this is already the 3rd respawn of Brand Ted lol

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The talk of Princess Vanky primarying Rubio is awesome on every level

9. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    It’s only awesome if she loses the gen.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listed to this:

https://www.vox.com/22230787/vox-conversations-olivia-nuzzi-sam-sanders-trump

It is a Sam Sanders interview with Olivia Nuzzi. For those not familiar with either, Sam Sanders was a founding member of the NPR Politics Podcast and did some really good reporting, but went on to do his one podcast that was more pop-culture-ish. Still, he does do a fair amount of interviews, and while he was always fairly good, he has gotten much better. Olivia Nuzzi is a reporter for the NY Magazine who covered the WH over the past 4 years and had some really good coverage.

Anyway, about 10 or 15 minutes in they touch on Trumpism for a bit. What I found interesting is that Nuzzi described it in two ways (it comes again later in the interview), which made sense to me. On one hand, Trumpism is personal and selfish and all about "me." Those ardent followers of his are seeing the world in personal, individual terms, not as part of a group or part of society. In this regard, it is everybody looking out for their own self-interest, which would go a lot way to explaining why the insurrection was so disjointed and there are a lot of people there behaving like it was Burning Man (minus the naked people). One the other hand, politically, Trumpism is not just about self-interest, but lack of coherence and "look, squirrel" decision making, which, almost by definition means chaos. In all of this, I think we also need to consider that Trumpism also encapsulates the lack of forward thinking. Remember, he didn't expect to be President, and didn't really want it. It was just another effort to launch his brand. And the insurrection can be characterized as much the same - beyond the kidnap and kill, what was the next step?

Now, I'm sure somebody in either this thread or another thread said something similar.

And, of course, this is his style and not necessarily applicable to his ideology, which as we all know is White Supremacy. But, he sees that as how he will succeed, therefor he is all in. Beyond that, one thing which I just realized in this coda is that this explains why his businesses are doing so poorly. He is only about the here and now and lacking long term planning.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it, eot:

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - I listened to this as well.

Nuzzi is superb. She had the infamous Rudy G interview when he was criming in the Ukraine.

soccernutter repped this.
  13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sensed hot air leaking out of the Trumpist balloon yesterday. There's this assumption that he'll continue to dominate the party. You now, maybe so. But his 74M followers have already begun to splinter, and some have abandoned him. Unless trump himself - and not another family member - reengages and is granted a national media presence to do so, I just wonder where the hell this so-called movement goes. It's primarily a large number of angry and not terribly bright white folks, confused and pissed off that "the plan" didn't happen, and now devoid of contact from their cult leader, and with no coherent organization structure around which to do much of anything.

Not to mention, Trump's financial and possibly legal woes will haunt him for the foreseeable future. Who's going to fund those rallies? That new social media or TV network?

If he has the energy (a big if) the only way I see Trumpism staying relevant as anything close to a singular entity is if Trump decides to declare his intention to run again and starts raising campaign donations he can then use to fund his political activities. The Trumpist brand was already horribly soiled before Jan. 6, but it's now much more toxic. Acolytes like Cruz, Pompeo et al, thinking they can pick and claim Trump's base of followers, have hitched their political futures to a movement that's now closely associated with sedition.

ASU55RR and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  14. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Trumpism as a singular entity may well be dead, the the GOP is metastatic at this point. He’s shifted the conversation enough that there is all sorts of room for a “kinder, gentler” Trumpist to maneuver. A more xeonopnobic, theocratic, “law and order”/in your face version of a Tea Party candidate will seem like a conservative statesman now. That was an opportunity that did not exist before Trump.

And when that candidate proves to be popular and rightfully despised by Dems, Lindsey will go on the air and talk about how this person is “so not Trump” and accuse the Dems of being “hysterical”.

I don’t see a centrist candidate/brand emerging. At this point, the GOP will lose far more right wing zealots moving to the center than they will “centrist principled conservatives” staying out in crazyland. Centrist principled conservatives will issue mild rebukes, but they won’t vote for a radical commie like Joe Biden over a non rapey Roy Moore.

charlie15 and chaski repped this.
  15. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Way down yonder in the land of Cotton . . . :whistling:

Chicago76 and charlie15 repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    One of the big problems for Trumpism is that he no longer has his social platform, or his presidential pulpit. So he can pay to reach his followers, but it is also hard for him to fund all that now.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may prove to be a problem with the impeachment process. It will give him a pulpit to preach his message of hate from.

How much is left in the "stop the steal" fund?

Trump raised $200m from false election claims. What happens to the money now?

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Or for his upcoming legal defenses.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And The Bulwark does a deep dive into the now deceased "1776 Project."

Ostensibly a rejoinder to the New York Times’s 1619 Project, the 1776 Report asserts the timeless values of the American founding and the exceptional goodness of the American past. Building on Trump’s professed desire to “clear away the twisted web of lies in our schools and classrooms, and teach our children the magnificent truth about our country,” the report’s authors say they believe that “a rediscovery of our shared identity rooted in our founding principles is the path to a renewed American unity and a confident American future.”

The world will little note, nor long remember, the 1776 Report. But before it passes entirely from memory, it is worth taking a moment to examine what it is and how it came to be, not because it is intellectually serious—in fact, it is a self-plagiarized mishmash of sanitized history, high school civics, right-wing gripes, and authoritarian gestures—but because of what it reveals about the rise of a certain strain of conservative ideology: fundamentalist “West Coast Straussianism.”​

https://thebulwark.com/the-origins-of-trumps-slapdash-last-second-1776-report/

All you need to know about "West Coast Straussianism" is that they are the people who brought us the "Flight 93 Election" theory in the run up to November, 2016.

22. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    It sounds a bit like a Prager twin. Speaking of 1619 though...I’m completely in favor of the project, but they really should have done a better job of cleaning up some of the claims. People are going to complain and whine regardless, but when you can get a credible panel of non batshit historians together and they say, “Here are x problems”, by all means clean it up.

JohnR, rslfanboy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #123 Dr. Wankler, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Not distinguishing between "batshit crazy ideologues" and "practicing historians with legitimate criticisms" did not serve 1619 well, for sure.

Though from what I can tell, they walked back some things. Like the claim about the Revolutionary War being fought primarily to preserve slavery. Man, if that were the case, Lin-Manuel Miranda needs to seriously revise Hamilton.

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking of this topic again, I keep wondering if we should look at Trumpism as an integral part of the GOP or if there will be a split in the future. I tend to believe the latter. I can't see how the current GOP can fully become the party of Trump w/out a clear purge of some elements who are already trying to distance themselves from Trumpism. It is going to be interesting to see what happens during and after Impeachment, particularly in the Senate. A lot od Senators will have to walk the plank.

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following up on the previous... The purge has began. Let's see how far it is going and what will be the push back.

Dr. Wankler repped this.