What's the fiercest RIVALRY in Portugal?

Discussion in 'Portugal: Clubs' started by ferreirajl, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Sporting CP - SL Benfica

Alright on one side, the rich monarchic nancy boys of Sporting. On the other the dumb uneducated popular masses of Benfica.
    The two biggest teams in Lisbon (some people may even say in the whole country).
    For a long time, they were also the best. I have this vivid memory from my childhood, of being constantly asked if I was a Benfica or Sporting fan. Boy it was annoying....

~~~memory flashback~~~~
    (some old lady) - AAAaaaaaaai que rapaz tããão giroooo!!! E gostas de futebol não gostas? Olha e diz uma coisa à titi... És do Benfica ou do Sporting?
    (me)- Foooooooodaaaaaaaassss!!! Eu sou do PORTO caralho! Preferia esmagar os tomates num torno do que ser duma dessas equipas de merda"
    ~~~end memory flashback~~~~

FC Porto - SL Benfica

North vs South
    Christian Knights vs Moorish infidels
    Good vs Evil
    Free, brave, untamed spirits vs Fascist scum, dictator's lap dogs
    'Nuff said here.

Sporting CP - FC Porto

If there's one thing that History tells us is that decadent aristocrats, no matter how decrepit, never acknowledge their ruin and that their time is over.
    Such is Sporting's case. A club who is today a sad shadow of their former self. A club who's place in Portuguese football has suffered an hostile take-over from a much more aggressive, ambitious and resourceful Porto.
    This rivalry is also frequently associated with feelings of "inferiority", with each side accusing the other of having that "complex". Personally I think that talk is BS. We got more trophies, more money, more prestige, a better looking stadium with higher attendances, a smarter president.... I mean... WHY would WE have an inferiority complex?! It's crazy!

Anyway... this is sort of an overview of the main rivalries. Now please vote and tell us how you feel about it.

2. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just hilarious! I had to give my vote to the Porto-Benfica rivalry... obviously!

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    To be honest got be the Lisbon rival Benfica vs Sporting

4. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    I have to say Benfica-Sporting is a bigger rivalry. Either team would rather lose to Porto anytime. Porto Rivalry only really started afther the late 70' s when Porot started to win the tittles.

Porto's biggest rival is still Boavista :)

5. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

6. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Another thread started by ferreirajl so he can bash Benfica and Sporting. That's all this is, and of course I fall into his trap and respond, lol.

Benfica v Sporting and Benfica v Porto are very close. I'm sure 15 years ago there was no question that the feircest rivalry was Benfica v Sporting, now Benfica v Porto might be the more feircest rivalry. I vote for Benfica v Porto as the feircest rivalry, atleast at the moment.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    What about SP. Braga vs V. Guimaraes?

8. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Let me add...Maritimo v. National...those island people go crazy for their futebol:D

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Beira-Mar vs Academica

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    HAHAHA another reason why this guy is one of my fav's on these boards. Cussing out an old lady for ignoring Porto.

11. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm sure she didn't ignore Porto, she probably just never heard of Porto.

12. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I grew up in and around Lisbon and it was pretty much an automatic thing: if people wanted to know your team they'd ask: "És do Benfica ou do Sporting?".
    Then when I answered "Porto" their expressions would just change. They'd put that "half surprised/half disapointed" look followed by an inexpressive: "Ah....tá bem...".

And you wouldn't believe how many times people tried to brainwash me to be Benfica or Sporting! Good thing I'm a firm person in my beliefs. Or as my wife says "stubborn as an ass".

I don't know if you guys had the same perception I had growing up, that EVERYTHING was set to make you choose between Benfica or Sporting? Any of you noticed that growing up?
    I remember that even the "Matraquilhos" (translation?) were ALL painted in Benfica and Sporting colors...? In fact the first time I saw some "matrecos" in blue and white I just couldn't believe it! It was like seeing something that came out of a spacecraft. It looked that weird and out of this world.

People don't appreciate how strong a person or a kid you need to be in order to be a Porto fan in Lisbon ;)

13. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Metro my friend... that's called DENIAL! :D

Come on! I can believe Frank or JuveLeoRules saying they think Benfica-Sporting is the fiercest rivalry, but YOU? The guy that says he'll support any team in european competitions EXCEPT Porto?! :D

14. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    All I said was the Porto Rivalry didnt really start until the late 70's when Porto really started to win most of their Titles. Benfica-Sporting rivalry has been there for decades and it will always live on...

15. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    What happen to you when in school they used to do those games in the playground and you either had to pick the Benfica team or the Sporting Team? :p

16. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hmm, what makes a rivalry fierce? Well, let's just say that my blood boils more when we play Benfica. Naturally, any derbyis a great match, and there have been some classic Sporting x FC Porto matches over the years, but in my eyes, the hatred that I have of Benfica for those 2 hours supersedes any other adversary that Sporting faces during the course of the season. Sporting x Benfica / Benfica x Sporting are, to me, the biggest matches of the year, hands down.

17. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I, for one, appreciate his honesty. He doesn't like Benfica or Sporting. I don't like Porto or Benfica. You don't like Sporting or Porto. There isn't anything wrong with that. I think this is a great thread. This'll be repped accordingly whan I am able to do so ;)

You can also argue that there are other great derbies in Portugal that unfortunately don't get enough credit or ink in the press, like Guimarães x Braga, Beleneses x Boavista, or Nacional x Marítimo...

18. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As much as Porto want to think they are "main stream" they are not...they are a small "regional" club from the North of Portugal:D All the band wagon fans aside, no one cares about them...as evidenced when they played Galatassary at Giants Stadium last summer (attendance 15,408)...here we have the Defending CL Champs and the attendance is pityful...

I believe the last time Sporting played the Metrostars back in 1996 there were more fans...

19. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Benfica vs. Sporting is the fiercest Rivalry, and in reality the only one that matters.:D

20. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Matraquilhos = Table Soccer (they could've come up with more of an original name :rolleyes: )

21. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I believe here in the states it is also called "foosball"

I have played many a game at the Portuguese Club...

22. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm sure back in 1996 there were no $70 tickets to watch Sporting...
    Then again, last year you were paying big bucks to watch the reigning European Champions :rolleyes: . I, for one, was in Portugal enjoying the beach, not only did I miss the game but also a nice dinner they had at Titanic Restaurant.

23. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    correct, I was looking for that name... although here in the States they use rubber/plastic players... nothing like the real thing (Portuguese) and all those TING! sounds of the ball hitting the players or vice/versa.

24. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Actually, the professional name is Foosball. Which is the German way of prounouncing Football which is Fußball.

My fault-didn't see the original post correcting you. GRRR! "CSH"

25. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    Porbably the Lisbon rivalry but the Porto and Benfica rivalry is big to but it doesnt seem like Sporting has a rivalry against Porto iunno it just doesnt seem like it