whats the deal with WWC '07 ?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ironduke2010, Jul 7, 2006.

1. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, what's the scoop on concacaf wwc '07 qualifications? i see from here:

http://fifa.com/en/womens/comp/prelims/0,7209,6-WF-2007,00.html

that uefa, afc, and caf all have a nice slate of fixtures. concacaf conembol and ofc don't have anything planned, and usa isn't listed in concacaf results or tables.

when does the uswnt start the '07 campaign?

2. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    November. The U.S. isn't listed, because they have a bye to the semifinal round of the qualifying tournament, making it essentially a one game "campaign". :p

3. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ic, thanks, i thought it was something like that. hmm, germany (current champs) still needs to qualify via uefa i see. is this bye a concacaf decision then?

4. americaforlife

americaforlife New Member

May 24, 2006
    Lost Angels
    after i got let down by are mens team, i say come on women!!!!

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    UEFA and others use basically the same qualifying structure for their men's and women's WC qualifycation. But CONCACAF and a few others have chosen to use a single tournament.

To get into this tournament many teams must qualify but others, like the US, get into the tournament based on previous records.

I believe that the choice to use a single tournament format is based on travel costs for many of the poor countries more than anything else.

lastly ALL teams now must qualify for each WC EXCEPT the host country(s). The method that a conference uses for the qualifycation must be aproved by FIFA but there is a lot of latitude allowed.

6. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, so the games played so far by concacaf teams are "preliminaries" for this qualification tournament, i see. i hope this tournament is one where each team plays many games then. i'm just thinking the team is pretty young now, and the more competetive games they get, the more they gel as a team. it's no use to get an easy run up if that means you flop in the end.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I believe the tournament will be, as it has been in the past, two groups of 4 teams. With the winners and second place teams from group play advancing to the simi-finals where 1a plays 2b and 2a plays 1b.

First and second place will qualify for the WC and, I think, the winner of the third place game qualifys as well.

Edit:
    Actually, from the FIFA web site:
    It looks like the third place team goes into a playoff with Aisa's third place team.

CONCACAF (2.5)
    1. Qualifying CFU February - August 2006
    2. Qualifying UNCAF August
    3. Finals November 2006.

8. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I don't think a bunch of games against Haiti and Honduras will help our women much.

You'd think we'll play Mexico and Canada no matter what, but who else in CONCACAF has a WNT worth playing?

9. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good point. i suppose a bunch of friendlies will have to do the trick then.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a FIFA decision, Brazil had to qualify for this year's World Cup as well, so it applies to both the men and women.

CONCACAF can't get anything right, hence the retarded qualification scheme.

I wonder if the CONCACAF tourney gets on TV anywhere. Has any U.S. Women's WCQ made it to American TV?

11. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info all.

i knew that germany had to qualify for this wwc via fifa rules, but it looks like uefa has them qualify like any other team, so there is no advantage to being reigning champs. i guess since concacaf is even weaker in the women's game than the men's, usa gets a bye straight to the qual tourney.

i don't remember any wwcq on tv. but then, i don't really remember friendlies on tv either, and they seem to be broadcasting a lot this summer. could be a different story when the gridiron seasons start though...

12. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Re: CONCACAF Qualifying

Anyone have a clue as to when the WC will be played next year? I've checked a couple of Web sites and didn't find anything. Maybe I'm being a bit too impatient, but then again, it is just a year or so away.

14. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States