What's the Deal with Landon & Germany

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by SmittyLax6, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why does everybody think it is a big deal for americans to find jobs here? I don#t know anything about the gf, but if she's still in university she could spend at least a semester here, and I don't think it is a disadvantage to have some foreign language knowledge, is it? if she's working, well, she could do that here as well, even english-only (there are bars for example wanting their staff to speak english and not that much german. And, the more south you go anyways, the more americans are there 8north it's more the brits...)

2. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    lol

I agree with you, but at the same time I agree that he would get some good playing time, especially as Leverkusen have hit a slow patch recently.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Well, according to transfermarkt.de the move is a done deal. :rolleyes: I suppose the EU is to blame for English journalism creeping into the mainland. :)

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    ...on a side note, that site lists his market value at 3.5 million and says that his contract runs through 2007.

5. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  6. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    from the article
    Its not the weather anymore its the Jetlag. Is it me, or does he always give mixed messages when it comes to playing in Europe

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Can't blame you for not knowing this. His girlfriend is a Hollywood actress. I think she'll be fine trying a career in Germany because I frankly think she isn't going to be a huge success in Hollywood.

8. Charles

Charles Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Idaho
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think his earlier experience was negative to the point that it still influences him, but I give him credit for being able to look past that, mostly, now to the reality that he's on the threshold of a huge boost in his career, both personally and professionally.

I think he's trying to approach this as a glass-half-full kind of guy, which I think is great.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, and it also listed his height as 1,85 (6'1") instead of a very charitable 175 (5'9") that San Jose has him at.

BTW, 3.5M Euros is ~ $4.5M which is somewhat lower than some had speculated here.

As to Leverkusen, their AM is Robson Ponte, who's a pretty decent looking Brazilian midfielder. He's considerably slower than Landon, has a little better ball control and, I think, more vision and accuracy with his passing.

As an alternative, the right flank is manned by Paul Freier and Bernd Schneider, both of whom had played for the German national team.

I am not sure if Donovan can beat out any of the above players for a regular job but may be a likely substitute for all of them. There he'd battle with Hanno Balitsch, Marco Babic and Daniel Bierofka who are a part of Klaus Augenthaler's midfield rotation.

On the offense, he could find himself competing with a suspected Yank Jermaine Jones and the recently hot Andrey Voronin.

It's not a selection of all-stars but neither is it a collection of stiffs.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    for those who don't know...

[​IMG]

11. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    The are all good but nothig special, London would be starting for sure!

12. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She could be a female Hasselhoff.

It had to be said.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    a few more good measure...

[​IMG]

and one of the happy couple...

[​IMG]

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he is about 17 in that picture, maybe 16

15. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002

This is the most outrageous statement I have heard yet. I don't think you really understand the level and ability of some of the worlds best players. There is not an american field player that is even a convincing starter in any foriegn division one league in the world. You might name a couple that get almost regular playing time. In american sports we calll them "scrubs".

If you ever saw some of the world's best players for example playing in MLS you would never, ever think Donovan as world player of the year. It is a fantasy, not likely and not probable. He shows no glimpse of ever being world player of the year!

There are so many players through history at much higher ability, much more glorious careers, big results on big world stages that never even smelled World Player of the Year! You are dreaming with optomism. Good luck.

16. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Wow. You really know a lot about soccer. Thanks a lot. ;)

17. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX

By the way. I hope you ball again soon. Thanks so much.

18. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    As talented as I personally believe Donovan is, I'm not surprised that some posters would get upset at our projections of his skill. It can be interpreted as arrogance, even if we think we're just expressing our assessment of Landon's potential.

Relax, world. We're not saying that Donovan IS going to be great. We're saying we think he CAN be. We've seen him perform. It's very possible that much of the world wasn't paying attention during the 2002 World Cup to Landon. Many Americans weren't, so it's not like we blame anyone. But those who did watch Landon saw his poise and competitive nature blend with his ability. We've seen him continue to improve in MLS, which again, much of the world doesn't follow. However obscurely, Donovan has gotten better and better.
    You don't have to believe it - but don't kill yourself knocking it either. You might end up looking silly relatively soon. I'll grant that Donovan supporters are probably optimistic about his future greatness. We're prepared to get criticized for that, yet what we know about Donovan is what has the stars in our eyes.
    The guy has talent, toughness, a cool head and creative moves that can turn a game completely around. Keep an eye on him.
    Or don't. Let him surprise you.

19. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    Hey guys, I here all this about Landon and world player of the year and stuff. I dont know how many candidates there are for this but there are more than 50 and just being nominated to it is alot. Cristiano Ronaldo was in the list and he didnt score more than 10 goals with Man U and had like 2 goals in Euro 2004. Didn't do crap in the olympics either and I think that donovan can sure play when he is motivated and when he wants to. He will be mentioned with one of the best in a few years. So him being up for that award with 50 or 60 other players is very possible. Beckham can be on the Bench and still be up for the award. i mean come on now there are better ebglish players right now than him!!!!!!!!!!!

20. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Honestly speaking I really think Donovan is somewhat intimidated to go to Europe. I'm not saying he is a bad player (I think he's great), I really think he could make it in Europe, but I'm not so sure he beleives he can.

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He wasn't intimidated by the world cup. why the hell would he be intimadated by European soccer? I've NEVER seen Landon lack confidence on the field

22. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HE'S 22 PEOPLE!!! How many World Footballers of the Year were 22? Maybe one in Ronaldo back in the mid '90's? Landon is a solid player...the best in the US. He will go to Germany and contribute nicely. Then he will be sold to another top flight club and excel. After that the sky is the limit. But he is only 22. His prime is supposedly 5 years away. No worries!!

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Yup...in fact, Landon almost always raises his game to meet the (important) circumstance.

His 'reluctance' to go has been based on family, lifestyle and an impression that the system at Leverkusen wasn't fair- not that he ever thought he couldn't compete..

Landon can and will become a better player yet, if he goes to a bigger pond. Guaranteed.

24. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Folks - Let's leave the "World Player of the Year" stuff for awhile. ...at least until after his first BL goal. :rolleyes: This is ridiculous. He will make a contribution at BL, that I believe. But, my goodness...

25. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I agree. That's one of the things that I really love about Donovan and Beasley, and one of the things that made them so valuable to us in the '02 WC -- they just have no fear, and are supremely confident. They believe (rightly so), that they are capable of beating anybody in the world one on one off the dribble, and aren't afraid to try it.