What's the Deal with Landon & Germany

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by SmittyLax6, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Shelton, CT
    OK, the MLS season is now complete for Landon. What is the story with his recall to Germany? Has anyone heard anything or have any knowledge or the situation. The last I heard, he still didn't want to go back there. I can't imagine that they would let him stay here, but I think they blew their shot with him as he just doesn't like it there. Any chance for a transfer to England? Please, let me know what you all have heard.

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Landon is not in control here. If they say he comes back... he comes back. case closed.
    I don't know how Landon could claim he doesn't like it at all. He hasn't been in Germany in 4 years. Things have changed, the team has changed, landon has changed, and his skills have changed.

But officially I have heard nothing other than Leverkusen say they look forward to him coming back when the loan expires (which I think is at the end of the year)

3. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    well it's one month old
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/grant_wahl/10/01/donovan/

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's springtime for Landon and Germany.

Autumn for Bochum and Mainz.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I expect Landon will stay in the US until the WCQ against Jamaica, and will then report to Germany. Since it is a loan agreement, I assume he does not have to wait until the January window opens, but I could be mistaken since it is such a wierd situation with Landon and his contract. Even if he does have to wait until then, he should go over in December to get settled and train with the team.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    the transfer window has nothing to do with ownership of the contract and everything to do with when you can gain entry into a league.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last weekend he was interviewed by Wynalda on ESPN2. Landon stated he'd be happy staying here, he'd be happy going to Germany.

(Personally, I think the hang-up is only in the length of time he'd be required to be in Germany. He's stated he hopes that the contract can be reduced to a short time - 6 months to 1-1/2 years - not having to stay until the end of his contract, which is the end of 2007. I think the intention is to get traded to EPL. The other hang-up [which relates to the first one, I think] is he doesn't know what to do with his girlfriend. Stated in an interview on the radio that it wouldn't be cool for her to just go to Germany and sit around all day while he plays soccer. Course, there is a solution to that too - I mean, isn't David Hasselhoff a big star in Germany? Biance is a shoe-in to follow suit. :) )

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Since a great start (2 wins and a tie, but a 4-1 win vs. Bayern Munich), Leverkusen has been extremely mediocre and sit middle of the table.

Landon will get his chance.

In every situation in his career so far, he has always raised his game to newer, bigger challenges. If he takes this experience to heart, I have no doubt he can start, play well, and help lead Leverkusen back to the top 4 in the BL...

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I know some will moan & groan about another LD to Bayer thread but I have been looking forward to beating this dead horse again.

I've been looking for info on the web regarding the LD situation but I haven't found anything.

10. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Shelton, CT
    I was expecting some noise now that the loan is in essance over. I was surprised when there wasn't anything on the internet this morning. I'll watch Skysports and FSW Report tonight, but I was really expecting someone to say something.

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although technically the loan doesn't end until midnight December 31, I think.

but in light of the Earthquakes' situation, etc., I expect something to be happening very shortly, i.e., within the next 2 weeks.

12. SmittyLax6

SmittyLax6 New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Shelton, CT
    Is that because of the Transfer window rules? I'm sure that Beyer knows that the MLS season ends in Mid November. Why would they offer him an additional 6 weeks? The only thing I can think of is that they were preparing for him to stay over here for any qualifiers during the international window.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think Landon sees this like I see going to the gym or the dentist. He may not want to go, but he knows he needs to go and that doing so is good for him long term.

I mean, I know he likes living in Cali and all and who can blame him. Nice weather, low pressure, hottie girlfriend is near-by, speak the language and all that. But, as we've all discussed, he's become the big fish in a small pond and is in danger of plateauing - see Pope, Eddie - if he stays here and doesn't seek out greater challenges.

I think Arena would not-so-secretly like to see him go abroad and I think seeing a lot of his contemporaries like Beas, Convey, Gooch and Casey taking the challenge that he may be similarly curious.

The reality is that the timing for this is right. Bayer Leverkusen holds his rights and wants him back. They've been very fair with Landon in letting him stay here for four years and in turn, they're getting a much more polished product in return. But, they want him back and it's time to go.

And, as others have said, he's gonna play because BL needs him and being over there is a lot more palatable when you are playing regularly.

So, come Jan. 1, I see Landon on a plane for Frankfort with a connection to to Cologne and then Michael Reschke picks him up at the airport and chaufers him the final few miles to Leverkusen and he isn't in MLS again till after the 2010 World Cup.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    yes, thats because of the transfer window rules. No matter who owns your contract, you can only gain entry into a league at certain times. For Germany, you can gain entry into the Bundeslige during the month of January, and between July 1 and Auguest 31st.

Thnk back to when Landon was almost loaned out to Portsmouth. The deal was in place but what stopped it from happening was that FIFA decided to define the transfer windows for MLS. Portsmouth Loand deal ran through till the end of the Premiership season, until June. But he would not have been able to regain entry into MLS until September or so.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    well according to Wahl, Leverkusen will put the full-court press on Landon. Which will include red-carpet treatment for Bayer Leverkusen's Champion's League match. They are wooing Landon like a star player who can take this team to the next level. My guess is that Landon becomes acclimated to the team, league, and country over the next half season. And then Leverkusen will start building their team around him. I can think of no other reason for Leverkusen to go through such lengths to get a happy Landon Donovan in Germany

16. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everyone is being very politically correct as if they don't want to offend anyone, every questions landon addresses he's happy either place or doesn't want to make the decision. i think when the decision comes about what will happen to the Quakes next year that may influence his choice, if they are gone (hopefully not!) I'd see him going, if they stay, he may also. Your guess is as good as mine

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Let's face it, his girlfriend isn't exactly Julia Roberts. She could use some attention to further her career. If LD somehow managed to get sold to an EPL team, she would get more publicity than she ever will in LA.

She could probably land a "presenting" gig on one of those "fix-up up your 4'x6' garden so that it looks like it's at least 4'x7' show." After a few months of "gardening" for BBC, she will be offered the next Bond-girl role.

Knowing a merchandising opportunity when they see one, it would then just be a matter of time before Real Madrid get in touch with Landon, who is currently captaining 17th place Spurs.

Thinking he's talking to Real Salt Lake, Landon gets very excited about a possible transfer. The Madrid people have to tell an obviously disappointed LD that they are not Real Salt Lake.

Landon, speaking fluent Spanish, tells Madrid that he once went on holiday to Spain but it was cloudy while he was there. He asks if they are affiliated with Real Salt Lake, as that might interest him. They say no.

He then states that it is sunny a few days per year in London and he wouldn't want to risk the few days he has in the sun because it could be cloudy in Spain all the time for all he knows.

He says he's happy playing for Spurs and that he wouldn't want his wife just sitting around some villa in Spain while he played soccer.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    from the link Dead Fingers provided

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! Quite amusing. Although, in reality, from the radio interview it didn't sound like the gf situation was gonna be a deal breaker. In fact, it might be his way out (apparently her "clock" is ticking, as they say, being a little older than him) :)

But no more digression - I don't want this thread to end up like ALL those other Donovan threads.

20. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    If Landon went to Leverkusen he would get alot of time on the field. He proved in the MLS that he is a good player now he needs to prove that in Europe.He isnt going to get any better staying in the MLS he will only get better by going to Leverkusen or any other european team in the top division.Landon is a good player and should get the starting job. He wont start right away but, he should be starting this season if he goes.

21. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the gf standpoint, perhaps a move to the J-League would be best if he's not in MLS ;)

I thought I read on here somewhere that BL goes to Florida to train during the Bundesliga's winter break. It would be easy for him to rejoin them there and go back when they go back. Should be a good time to get acquainted with the players and earn a spot in the first team and perhaps try each other on again.

22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    ...from what I've managed to babel fish from Bayer boards, Landon would be a likely starter in the midfield on day one. Apparently, they have a giant hole in their midfield (An Armas Clone?).

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think we can all agree that landon is a very, very good player.There are very few teams in the world that he would not help.His skill, speed and work rate are EACH exceptional.His vision is almost as good as I have ever seen in my life. I became a major admirer when I saw him chase a guy 70 yards to break up an attack when the US was leading by 4 goals.
    If he gets the right situation I would not be that surprised to se him in the running for World Player of the Year soon. I think he has that kind of talent.

24. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Landon might be a starter in Midfield from day one. He is a good player but, Leverkusen should get him some mintues off the bench first. If they let Landon play at Forward then Landon wouldnt start for awhile because they have 2 good forwards (Franca and Berbatov).Landon was a forward and can play forward so they use him as a forward. If he plays in the Midfield he would start.

25. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    Coaches love it when directors of football make these kinds of statements.