What's Going On Here?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Houston Texans, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Houston Texans

May 8, 2002
    Just wanted to know why the Men's College chat section is so slow right now? Why isn't anyone talking about Inidiana losing to Akron or Stanford's slow start? Come on people chat away...

2. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Don't know what's going on. I thought I'd check in on Clemson and Furman. I looked on the University sites and found out Furman is playing now and Clemson tied last week against Winthrop. The only Clemson player who impressed me last weekend at the Furman invitational, Ogusola, scored Clemson's only goal against Winthrop. I think I'll go tomorrow to see him and the rest of Clemson against Duke.

3. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    terps, terps, terps....

I've been doing my part but you're right the boards have been pretty quiet. I don't know what's up.

4. FritoBandito

FritoBandito New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    US
    Not chatting....

because everyone's tuned in to the CA governor's race....

5. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    The usual story ... last year's team was dominated by seniors, and short on depth. This year, they've got a bunch of freshmen stepping in.

6. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Or how about Santa Clara's strong start? With Ryan Cochrane leading a strong D allowing only one goal total in the first 6 games. And sporting statistics that look pretty dominating while playing some decent opponents (Alabama A&M, Fresno St, Creighton, SMU, Holy Cross, and Cal).

Shots
    SCU 93
    Opp 37

Corner Kicks
    SCU 34
    Opp 10

Saves
    SCU 19
    Opp 35

The achilles heel seems to be a lack of a true goal scorer, and thus a lack of goals from which to win games by. Two scoreless ties mar their otherwise perfect record. Seems like Jamil Walker is missed badly (although the Quakes seem to enjoy having him).

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UAB and Saint Louis are both off to monster starts too. Both are undefeated.

UAB has only allowed 1 goal in 6 games.

They have a +9 goal differential in 6 games and have outshot their opponents 113 to 69. They've played the likes of Indiana and Notre Dame too.

8. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    santa clara in the news

I am also a Santa Clara fan. Nice to see them organizing defensively so well. Ryan Cochrane has been the back bone of the team. Having difficulty putting things together up front. Know for a fact that one of the coaches strategies has been to have all players play defensively. It works to a point but now they need some offensive muscle. One interesting note. Santa Clara used to be accused of playing the long ball up the field (boom ball). During the Cal/Santa Clara game it was Cal who sent the long ball forward almost every play. Maybe they lost some midfield power when they moved Mike Munoz up front.

9. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Re: santa clara in the news

Hey, great to have a compatriot on these boards!

Santa Clara went away from the long ball when Rast took over in 2002. Although I went to games a few times a season when Murray was coach, the soccer was pretty ugly. The first game I saw under Rast, I was totally surprised with their completely revamped offensive style. They were always well organized defensively and Rast has managed to maintain that while instilling a much more creative and possesion oriented offense.