What's going on at Michigan?

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Elroy, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    What's happening at Michigan? It appears that the coach has given up on a lot of upperclassmen. In particular a three year starter at GK has found the bench in favor of a Freshman. Is the Freshman that good? Is this a problem caused by injuries? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Having entered the season with a #17 rank, and with only one win after 8 games, probably no choice except to make changes. The senior GK has a GAA of over 3, while the freshman has a 0.6 GAA. Even at that, Michigan continues to lose from lack of scoring. If the upperclasswomen are not part of the solution, then they're part of the problem.

3. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Thanks, but....

Thanks for the report. I have some further questions. I understand that the freshmen have gotten most of the playing time since day one, and that defense was where they played. Did this have anything to do with the senior GK's problems? If offense is the problem, why is the defense taking it in the shorts?

Your remarks were rather curt. Are you related to the program? Assistant coach? Father?

I really don't mean to be insulting to the coach or the program. Playing time is always the province of the coaching staff. Just wondered if there were attitude problems or what. Heads rolled before the season. Were there problems in pre-season? Anytime a nationally ranked program free falls off the map, people will be curious.

4. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    My thoughts from the left coast.....Michigan has been an underachieving program even in their 'good' years. That is an elite university that excels in everything. It seems that the young lady -Crumpton (WUSA) was an even bigger part of the team than others realized. They do not get enough great players there. Crumpton graduates and program falls. That spells recruiting failures. Name another great player they have had. They never get very far in the playoffs even in strong years.

5. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Re: Thanks, but....

It's not a matter of being curt, just objective. As runbabyrun aptly suggests, Michigan likes to think of itself as elite, and that notion doesn't mirror their current form. A top program may struggle a little after the loss of a top player, but shouldn't go through the floor either. When it happens, major changes follow.
    Frankly, though, Michigan's men's program is nearly as underachieving as well.

6. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Re: Re: Thanks, but....

You're not answering my question. The program was skewed to the freshmen BEFORE the season began! It doesn't compute that the upperclassmen were the problem. To my mind, it says:

1. Poor recruiting.
    2. Poor player development.
    3. Inability to keep young women interested and motivated as they approach graduation. This has to be difficult in any program.
    4. The incoming freshmen were the top six recruits in the nation.

I've known several former players and have followed the program from a distance for a few years. Runbabyrun is right about the lack of achievement when it counts. Maybe these moves are a desperate attempt to get it right. I still don't know.

7. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Thanks, but....

Sorry, I thought you were referring more to the GK situation. The senior started two of the 1st three games, including the 4-1 loss to Utah. The freshman blocked a PK against Nebraska in a 1-1 draw, which is something that always earns bonus points at this level.
    As to the other freshman starting over upperclass players, I suspect that's a statement about committment (or the lack thereof) among the older players. Some of that appears to have involved players who passed over W-league opportunities in the off season despite the coach's encouragement.
    Sounds as though the coach may be willing to take the hit this season to prepare for next.
    I also suspect that the program may have a large scholarship interest tied up in the freshman class, and if so, there's a significant impetus to get them playing time.

8. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Thank you

Thanks for the report. I imagine that it is difficult to keep players motivated as they near graduation - there are so many other distractions. I have a problem with taking a hit b/c it sends a negative message about the program. But, if it's necessary, that's a coach's perogative.