What would you want to change in UEFA Europeans Cup?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by ENZO!82, Dec 18, 2005.

1. ENZO!82

ENZO!82 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Caserta - Italy
    do you like the currently format? do you thonk something is wrong?
    i think there're many teams of low level in first group stages...i mean i'd like a main cup or league without preliminary rounds and directly a group stage (style Euroleague of Basketball).
    My idea is a Champions league with 24 teams
    1st phase 4 groups with 6 teams each one in 10 games match of regular season
    and a play-offs side with quarterfinals (without draw) 2 legs ,Semifinals in 2 legs and final .
    the teams could play are:
    holder
    UEFA Cup Champion
    and the best teams of top-10 domestic league:
    1st domestic league of UEFA Ranking with 4 teams
    2nd,3rd and 4th with 3 teams
    5th 6th and 7th with 2 teams
    8th,9th and 10th with 1 team

the rest of champions and runner up relegated in UEFA cup.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If I wanted to change the current format, I'd make sure that the CL featured domestic league winners only.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agreed with the holder, but disagreed with the UEFA Cup winner. In general, I lam okay with the systerm.

4. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    I see a few flawes in this system.

-I think all the champions of the 49 European countries should at least have a chance to make it to the group stage, so the preliminary rounds should stay.
    -With only 2 out of 6 teams progressing to the next round there will be a lot of matches in the end of the group stage that won't matter for 1 or even both teams.

5. ENZO!82

ENZO!82 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Caserta - Italy
    actually formula is:
    Groups stage with 6 games garanteed
    total matches 13 ( without counting the preliminary rounds)

with my idea of competitions are garanteed 10 matches each teams qualified to groups stage
    total matches 15.
    yes, could be more matches but if you look the UEFA Cup total match you might see the teams will survive from 1st round (esclused the preliminary roiund) make 15 matches :)

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Horrible idea. I'd rather see the so-called big clubs ******** off and form their own little league. Champions League is already boring enough - and i've seen enough games of Real Madrid and Juventus for my entire life already, after the first 1000 or so "oh-so-glamorous" Bayern - Real "clashes" I started to simply ignore them.

he doesn't talk about the total number of matches, but the number of meaningful matches.

7. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Agreed. Right now, UEFA Cup is meaningless. Back to the old formats or make an European League.

8. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I would like to see is not a change in the number of teams or a change in format - rather I'd like to see a different distribution of money.

First of all, the qualifying champion from every league should get to take a certain amount of the money back with them regardless of which round they enter the competition. So HB Torshavn from Faroe Islands should get the same amount as Chelsea just for making the show. If they actually win any games, then they start racking up more. This does not apply to 2nd & 3rd teams coming from a given country.

Second, if possible, somehow force a different split to the winnings taken so that the entire league benefits when one of their teams do well. Sort of like in College Football where the entire conference gets the Bowl money from their team.

It shouldn't be an even share like it is in college football - it is professional sports. Perhaps each team should keep half of its winnings. The other half should be split among each team in the rest of the league. So when Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all hit the jackpot by making the knockouts, quarterfinals and beyond, Wigan, Fulham, etc. get some benefit. Likewise, in Spain, Germany, Scotland, Italy, etc.

That will slow down the whole rich get richer phenomenon that is threatening the sport.

9. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    UEFA-cup meaningless?

I find most UEFA-cup matches much more entertaining than most CL-matches right now. And you also see different teams each time in the UEFA-cup, and not the same over and over again like in the CL. That also makes the UEFA-cup much more fun to follow.

10. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Cool, but I bet their audience ratings aren't that spectacular.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    They (UEFA) already do give out money to each participating FA, to be distributed to each club not making the tourney....I believe they call it 'solidarity payments'.