What would you like in a new stadium?, v. 7.0

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by falvo, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luxury suites earn $. Concerts earn $. Don't expect the owners to lose money just so you can check off your personal pet peeve list.

With a climate like California a roof isn't as important as in other parts of the country, but it would be nice to have a roof over at least the west stands to block the late afternoon/evening sun.

There's also the question of the use of a roof for acoustical reasons. If this venue is being used for concerts, expect a roof similar to the HDC or Rio Tinto. Roofs make for louder crowds at soccer matches, and for better music concert venues. That alone could justify the extra cost.

2. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    False. Do we really have to have this discussion again?

I know this has been posted before in the San Jose Earthquakes forums; apparently we need a reminder:

[​IMG]

3. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Looking at Blackball's comment I saw the bit about HD Video screens at concession stands. This isn't baseball, or even American football, fans getting out of their seats and getting a hotdog during a half is not exactly something we want to facilitate or encourage.

I think that maintaining an exciting atmosphere is something that needs to be a top priority. Lets be sure that we don't end up like Arsenal, whose new ground is nicknamed the Library due to its flat atmosphere.

And high walls are crap. On an uncrowned field, the view from standing height in the front row is just fine. It isn't a problem for me if the seats a few rows back are better than the front row as long as the view from the front row is good too.

4. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Picture from the inaugural game:

[​IMG]

The capacity is 24,000.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nor David Alioto! :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. Rick Kane

Rick Kane Member

Jul 23, 2007

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, if they don't get out of their seats at halftime to get a hotdog or to go to the bathroom or whatever, they'll do it during either half which would be worse.

Also, if everyone did go during halftime, the concession lines would likely be long enough to where having the HD video screens at the concession stands would be the considerate thing to do so they don't miss the second-half kickoff... and I highly doubt that most people would choose to continue watching the game on the screens even after getting their food & drinks rather than return to their highly-priced seat to watch the game live anyway. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I always try to be mindful of what might hurt the atmosphere at a match. Emirates Stadium's concession set up is first rate, but the atmosphere sucks. At the San Siro, "La Scala of football" (where I watch all my games), The atmoshere is amazing and intense, although unfortunately smoke-filled, and their concession booths are crap. Nobody gets up during the halves to go get crap from them. I wouldn't want the stuff they have even if I didn't care if I missed some of the game. I can't say that the two things are correlated but I suspect that it might be. I'm sure we probably wont have HD tvs at all our concession stands, but not for the above reasons, just because it comes down to the bottom line.

As for the stage thing, I really, really, really hope that we never have one. Unless it can completely disappear for games, I really don't want it. Luxury boxes are fine because they make money and they're out of the way anyway, but a stage is awful.

And that Malmo stadium would rock. Obviously we can't expect that size, but its overall design is good.

9. Blackball

Blackball Member

May 23, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    All good points! And when I went to Craven Cottage, the HDtv's were so fans could watch other games in progress while in line _before_ the game started.

10. Blackball

Blackball Member

May 23, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Luxury suites only make money if they sell. Are the Rev's selling a lot of suites at Gillette there Ralphie? I think there is a minimal market for them here.

Re: Concerts making money, I understand your point and it makes sense in other markets. I don't it makes economic sense in the south SF Bay area. We have multiple smaller venues (Villa Montalvo, Mountain Winery) and for 5k+ the Shoreline Ampitheater which I think would always be a better acoustically than a stadium.

The Quakes FO & Lew are going to get the stadium up with a pretty minimal budget. I'm only suggesting things I think will make a better game day experience, and be a better use of the the budget they have (vs suites / stage / roof)

11. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not do a sort of rotunda like they have on the bottom deck of AT&T park. From the conession stands, you can still clearly see the field. Having TVs around the rotunda would also help greatly.

12. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I had to double check my understanding of the word Rotunda after reading your post, then I looked up AT&T park and I finally figured out what you were getting at. Anyway, I think that this is not unlike the whole luxury box thing. If it doesn't interfere with the atmosphere then its ok, but if its is conspicuous, and has some of the less dedicated spectators interfering with other fans' viewing experience, then I'm not in favor of it. I can see how its great for baseball. But baseball games take forever and there is a lot of downtime involved. I think for us it would be better to have the concessions set up so that people would be able to get their snacks without any problems at halftime, rather than setting up facilities that allowed spectators to keep one eye on the game while they focus on their sandwiches and flatten the stadium atmosphere. Although there are people who want to go to games and get a meal while the game is secondary. If the same sort of out of the way spaces that luxury boxes usually go to is replaced with game-view cafe's and table seating, then there may be some money to be made there. What I really don't want is a section space that is prominently viewable by TV audiences and players on the pitch that looks more like a bunch of douches outside of a starbucks that seem to be treating the match as peripheral and novelty when they should be engrossed in the match.

13. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, sorry for the confusion. Thats what I've always have called it and heard it being called.

Second, amen.

14. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    Maybe there should be a separate thread titled; What are we likely to GET in a new stadium?

15. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Where's the fun in that!?

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    NYRB PArk Harrison NJ in April
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks great. Very sweeping.

18. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I am very envious

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too!

At a currently-projected 15k permanent seat capacity, $40-$60 million construction budget, we're set to get something at the very opposite end - the lowest end - of the MLS SSS spectrum. :(

After all, Lew Wolff told John Shrader in one or two halftime interviews last season that it'll likely mostly be modeled after BMO Field, perhaps the worst MLS SSS to be modeled after... but even smaller. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

21. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a dumb-ass roof. It's gonna leak like hell!

22. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    I don't think it's supposed to keep out rain, just keep the ball from being kicked into the street.

23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real action is going to be on the monkey bars above the field, where Red Bull's chimp-like supporters will be climbing around throwing feces at the Barra Brava.

(Ok, that made me feel better about the awesome stadium they will have.):eek:

24. Blackball

Blackball Member

May 23, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I am a bit envious like RobsterCraw, but I've also consciously decided to be optimistic and ethusiastic. After seeing the empty stands in Rio Tino, and knowing what low turnout the Red Bulls get now compared to their new stadiums seating, I think a full 15k stadium will be great. I know you like a roof Goodsie, but I feel like it'll be a better game-day experience if that money goes into other aspects of the stadium so that, size aside, it's much nicer than BMO or Columbus.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You would think with all this stadium going construction across the league, someone could finally come up with a plan to make a retractable roof. I mean especially in the colder climates in the winter, and if they want to eventually start earlier in the year. I doubt the costs would be that much more . I mean if they got to build it anyway, why not?