What would you ask McCullers?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Nov 30, 2004.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I have spoken with Mark and he's willing to address comments and questions.

Please submit any other questions you might have for him before midnight tonight.

2. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Does the Crew envisage getting anyone to do their PR for next season?

3. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    One last question. Fid seems to be the only one close enough to the Crew FO to give a s h i t. Could you hire him so we'd have access to some Crew related news in a timely and knowledgeable manner?

4. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    So when's this HuntParkInsider.com exclusive going to be up?

One more-
    When will the club announce your signing of a new contract as well as Andrulis' new contract?

5. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did HSG consult you before tendering an offer to Andrulis?

What does the Crew organization need to do to improve on the field and off the field?

Are there any MLS rules concerning discovery players that would prevent the Crew, or for that matter any MLS club, from offering undrafted 17-18 year olds after High School graduation a discovery contract? If not, do you envision the Crew ever going after an all-state player in Ohio and allowing him to develop in a pro enviroment instead of going the college route?

The last two World Cup Qualifiers had around 9K in attendance each, why do you think that was? What does the Crew and USSF need to do to insure larger crowds at USMNT games?

6. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    based on what has been said in this thread, it's pretty obvious many Crew fans feel that Columbus Crew are less than forthcoming with information concerning operations and personnel activity. Do you feel that this feeling is based in reality at all? If the answer is yes, do you place the blame on Columbus Crew's PR department? If yes again, what steps will be taken to insure a more active PR department?

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Since I haven't renewed my season tickets yet, I got a letter from the Crew asking me to call Mark personally. Rich have you had a chance to ask Mark the questions suggested in this thread? I'd like to follow up on some of his answers. Probably other people got the same letter so collectively maybe we can find out what's going on with the team.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I have indeed spoken with Mark and I submitted the questions to him. He is very willing to answer them and seemed almost eager, he'll be responding with a week or so due to being quite busy at the end of this week. I should have an article up on Hunt Park Insider by the end of next week.

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to find it very hard to dislike this guy. I mean if he's open to you calling him directly, maybe he will pan out to be better than expected.

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll wait until I see what he has to say (considering that so far his public utterances amount to exactly nothing at all) before making a judgement one way or the other.

I think his behavior relative to V Army, coupled with his handling of the Supporter's Shield, and his complete public silence on any and all Crew issues, does not exactly earn him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't wish to seem churlish, but I'd have a lot more confidence in this whole process if he'd have the mansack to sit down and answer questions instead of accepting some questions in writing and promising some answers in a week.

It's an arrogant and condescending way to conduct an "interview" and guarantees carefully corporate answers vetted by several people. Not exactly letting it all hang out.

We'll see.

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Bill, just to clarify...it was my decision to send him the questions via e-mail. He said he'd be more than happy to meet and talk but I just felt it'd be simpler for both of us to send him the e-mail and let him respond to the questions I submitted.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. My misunderstanding. Is he equally willing to "meet and talk" with representatives of V Army, or is he still stiffarming his customers?

Will he be apologizing for the Supporter's Shield embarrassment anytime soon?

13. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you hate pants?

Are the Crew going to book anymore international matches?

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I am not making any excuses but I will say...
    Ryan Smith, also in the FO, has met with V-Army and Legion members towards the end of the season. There was a meeting scheduled for supporters groups and Smith, which was attended by a few other FO members I believe. I didn't go so I cannot give you any particulars of the meeting but I know they made an attempt late in the season.
    That is a good question and I wish I would have asked that, perhaps in any followup questions I will have to ask Mark about the embarassment of what happend with the SS.

15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, with all due respect, to go any lower than Ryan Smith on the Crew food chain, you'd have to dig a hole. Rootes had a relationship. Smith had a relationship. McCullers eems to want to delegate this stuff to the beer guy.

16. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Fid- I just thought of another one, in cases you get another chance to ask him more questions. Has the club ever thought about playing a preaseason game, or perhaps even a US Open Cup game, at OSU's Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium? A one time event could capture the attention of a lot of students, if done right.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think they've played two games at Jesse Owens. Connor Senn match in 2004, and another one (was it 2003 Connor Senn??) there as well.

18. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    New Question:

How long does it take you to answer an e-mail?

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I talked with him, he apologizes for the delay. We should have it up early next week...

20. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    can we have the list of questions that were submitted?

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Sure. I took a sampling of many of the questions...

Columbus Crew Questions

1. It has been reported that both yourself and Coach Andrulis have been offered new contracts to remain in your current positions. If correct, did Hunt Sports consult you before tendering an offer to Andrulis or was that solely your decision? When will the club announce the signing of a new contract and the removal of your 'interim' tag as well as Coach Andrulis' new contract?

2. How would you define your role as the GM of the Columbus Crew?

3. What does the Crew organization need to do to improve on the field and off the field?

4. Peter Wilt checks out Big Soccer occassionally and gets involved with the fans. Dallas had a town meeting with their fans. KC had a recorded call from Lamar Hunt go out to fans. DC's GM had an on-line chat with fans just a week ago. What do you intend to do to reach out to fans who currently feel alienated by Crew management, whether it's regarding player movement, possible signings, or even just answering questions from the fans regarding recent events?

5. Recently two coaching changes were made in Cleveland (NFL) and at Notre Dame (college football) because the programs were not heading in the right direction or weren't where they should be at that time. Where do you see this program going and do you feel confident that current management will take them there considering the fact that in the last three years we have been taken out by an inferior New England squad in the first round of the playoffs twice while missing them altogether once? In your estimation, why did the Crew fall flat in the playoffs this year?

6. What sort of marketing efforts have been made in terms of aiming toward college-aged (OSU) people, along with Hispanics in Columbus? And have there been any talks with COTA to provide transportation for OSU students to CCS on game days since there is currently no efficient way short of taking a cab for students who do not have a vehicle to attend games?

7. After the final game of the season Coach Andrulis did not speak with the media except for a short statement. Do you approve of your head coach refusing interviews and post game access? Now that the season is over, there has not been any word from Coach Andrulis regarding our play and lineup changes in the final game of the season, will questions about that final game ever be answered by Andrulis?

8. With the new rules allowing 7 foreign spots (4SI and 3TI) and only 1 SI spot currently filled (though Duncan Oughton is currently out of contract) what priority do the Crew place on filling those empty spots and what criteria do the Crew use to select those foreign players? Along those lines; what type of players are the Crew targeting with their current allocation and discovery options?

Stadium'ish Questions

9. Are you still speaking with companies and attempting to sell naming rights for the stadium? Or will it be Crew Stadium forever?

10. Last year was a big year for improvements at the stadium with the addition of very nice enclosed luxury suites, two 'party' suites and the two new locker rooms under the south stands. Are there any physical improvements scheduled or being discussed for Crew Stadium this year or in the future?

11. A couple of years ago parking rates were increased so that parking for all season ticket holders would be improved. Have there been any negotiations with the state to fix the constant problems with the south parking lot?

12. The last two World Cup Qualifiers had around 9K in attendance each, why do you think that was? What does the Crew and USSF need to do to insure larger crowds at USMNT games?

22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo.

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Do you understand why it is the fans were angry about the way the Supporter's Shield was handled? Would you like someone to explain it to you? Do you honestly give a crap? If the Crew should happen to win it next year, will you handle it any differently?

2) Please give us your assessment of Greg Andrulis' job performance over the last four years.

3) Have you ever actually talked to a fan? I mean a real, live fan, in person, face-to-face.

4) What would you say to a long time season ticket holder who has decided not to renew this year because he is disgusted at what's gone on here over the past few years?

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon. This is too easy. I'll give you his answers now and save everybody the time:

1. It has been reported that both yourself and Coach Andrulis have been offered new contracts to remain in your current positions. If correct, did Hunt Sports consult you before tendering an offer to Andrulis or was that solely your decision? When will the club announce the signing of a new contract and the removal of your 'interim' tag as well as Coach Andrulis' new contract?

All personnell decisions are made collectively. Clark, John Wagner and I talk frequently, often several times a day. I can't really comment on ongoing negotiations, but any contract decisions are the result of a consultative process. When the deals are finalized and contracts are signed, then we'll make an announcement.

2. How would you define your role as the GM of the Columbus Crew?

It's my job to oversee all the various departments. This is a big, complex operation and it takes the efforts of a lot of great people to make things run. We're very fortunate to have such a talented, dedicated management team here in Columbus, because this is a very much a team effort. In a way, I'm sort of the coach - I may call some of the plays, but I feel that the best way to run a big operation like this is to find the best people, give them a job and then get out of thier way.

3. What does the Crew organization need to do to improve on the field and off the field?

We are constantly striving to improve in all facets of operations. Obviously our goal is to win the MLS Championship and we won't ever be satisfied with anything less. Off the field, we're working at reaching out to sports fans in Greater Columbus and letting them know what a great thing we have going here. The Crew is a young, exciting team and we need to do a better job getting that message out.

4. Peter Wilt checks out Big Soccer occassionally and gets involved with the fans. Dallas had a town meeting with their fans. KC had a recorded call from Lamar Hunt go out to fans. DC's GM had an on-line chat with fans just a week ago. What do you intend to do to reach out to fans who currently feel alienated by Crew management, whether it's regarding player movement, possible signings, or even just answering questions from the fans regarding recent events?

I understand that some fans are disappointed that we haven't reached our goals as a team. No one is more disappointed than I am, believe me. I'm a fan too. I just took over this job a few months ago and have been unbelieveably busy. I want all the fans to know that we want to hear how they think we're doing - the good things as well as the bad. Feedback from your customers is crucial to any business. We're going to be making some efforts in this regard, through meetings with the various fan groups, and we want to hear everyone's ideas on how we can do a better job.

5. Recently two coaching changes were made in Cleveland (NFL) and at Notre Dame (college football) because the programs were not heading in the right direction or weren't where they should be at that time. Where do you see this program going and do you feel confident that current management will take them there considering the fact that in the last three years we have been taken out by an inferior New England squad in the first round of the playoffs twice while missing them altogether once? In your estimation, why did the Crew fall flat in the playoffs this year?

We're currently evaluating the on-and=off field performance of the organization as a whole. Certainly, as I said, our goal is to bring a Championship to Columbus to reward the fans who have been so great to us over the years. I obviously can't get into specifics in terms of player personnell or possible moves but I can say that we're doing everything we can, exploring every possible avenue, to improve the team.

7. After the final game of the season Coach Andrulis did not speak with the media except for a short statement. Do you approve of your head coach refusing interviews and post game access? Now that the season is over, there has not been any word from Coach Andrulis regarding our play and lineup changes in the final game of the season, will questions about that final game ever be answered by Andrulis?

The way last season ended, after the great, exciting promise of the record-setting unbeaten streak, certainly raised everyone's expectations, and dropping out of the playoffs was disappointing to all of us, fans and team alike, and perhaps no one felt this disappointment more than Greg. I think at this point it's best to look ahead to the upcoming season rather than rehash old disppointments. We're excited about 2005 and we hope the fans are too. As an organization, I can promise you that we're committed to communicating with our fans and the community as a whole.

8. With the new rules allowing 7 foreign spots (4SI and 3TI) and only 1 SI spot currently filled (though Duncan Oughton is currently out of contract) what priority do the Crew place on filling those empty spots and what criteria do the Crew use to select those foreign players? Along those lines; what type of players are the Crew targeting with their current allocation and discovery options?

We're constantly exploring every possible avenue for improving the team. Robert, Murph and of course Greg have been on the phone and on the road constantly ever since the season ended. Whenever we see an opportunity to improve the club, we're going to do it.

25. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Bill, you obviously have too much time on your hands today! Go Christmas shopping or something.