what would it take for OM to get to the 1993 form?

Discussion in 'Olympique de Marseille' started by OMfreak, May 18, 2006.

1. OMfreak

OMfreak New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Dakar
    this a genuine question from a Die hard Marseille fan.
    i hope to hear some reasonable answers and suggestions, and that it wont tunr into a parade of jokes about OM.

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    signing Pires (looking unlikely) and Cisse (a possibility) would be a good start

3. OMfreak

OMfreak New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Dakar
    agreed, but also we have to find a way to keep our good players, because it seems like we have the ability to make them become phenomenal players but then we cannot keep them at the Velodrome side.

4. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Pires? That's a joke. Buying old, washed-up, cheating, diving wingers is not the way to build a successful team. Let PSG have him.

Cisse? Absolutely. Looks like Lyon have the upper hand right now, though, unfortunately.

5. Allez Lyonnais

Allez Lyonnais New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    TX
    New ownership is what you guys need.

6. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    A time-travelling machine… :D

As long as Olympique de Marseille will be Robert-Louis Dreyfus belonging thay won't do anything serious…

7. om4ever

om4ever New Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Droit Au But
    Lyons' management, funds, technical staff and players. :D

8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Back in 93 the EPL was brand new and didnt have the huge amount of foreign based players that it does now. Back then a team like OM could hold on to its stars a lot longer because the EPL didnt have the huge influx of high price foreign players. Now if a team like OM has a star or two the EPL teams will be ready to sign him just after the player has one good season. Guys like Drogba and Ribery they have one good year and foreign teams are willing to pay big bucks for them after one or two good years. Back in 93 you could hold on to guys like Ribery and Drogba for 4 or 5 years and now that is very difficult they are gone much quicker which makes it much difficult to build a good team. You see Lyon is already hot on Ribery and back in 93 no French team could have taken him from you and now one can very quickly plus you have all the foreign clubs to worry about.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very good point. OM has been helping mold some fine players just not able to hang on to them. I wonder how much of that is the board of OM fault and how much is the suffocating financial policies of France?

I'm with you...get Cisse. He was outstanding in Ligue 1. I don't think the English style of play suits him. Forget Pires. He is too old and expensive and not nearly as lethal as he once was. If you had tons of money and wanted an experienced, proven veteran than I would say OM should go for it.

10. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Sue me...

Marseille suffer from an apneic plexus of crap transfers. For me, Niang, Pagis and Malouida are just not the standard it takes to win a European Cup. Lyon have poached some good young talent from Brazil and can get guys with EPL experience like Tiago in their team.

I think Marseille have to start looking beyond relegation fodder attacking material and other Ligue 1 fodder crap. If its not good for them guys why should it be for OM. Getting onto the next rung of the European ladder is joke.

Marseille need to make some serious purchases in the summer. But it always appears from one season to the last - there is nothing but one big revolving door and clearout of staff at the club. This kind of disorganisation is clearly not good for the club.