what would an allstar game in england look like

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by usain2010, Jul 25, 2002.

1. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    My crazy idea is instead of playing for the charity shield, have an allstar game b4 the season begins. Not sure how you could split them up... possibly according to location of the team

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yeah an all star game sounds much better. How about Brits vs the Rest? I.e. the foreign stars in the Premiership!

3. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Depends what you mean by 'Brit'.

Scots, Welsh and Northen Irish players are British but they're also foreigners in the Premiership.

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UK vs. Rest Of World

North vs. South
    North 2002-03: Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Leeds, Blackburn, Bolton, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Everton
    South 2002-03: Aston Villa, Birmingham, West Brom, Arsenal, Chelsea, Charlton, Fulham, Tottenham, West Ham, Southampton

East vs. West
    East: Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Arsenal, Chelsea, Charlton, Fulham, Tottenham, West Ham, Leeds
    West: Blackburn, Bolton, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, Birmingham, West Brom, Southampton

Any other ideas?

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Liverpool v Arsenal is an All Star game.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'll second that....!!!
    These teams have earned the right to be there.

Or were you guys thinking of let's pick 30 or so for each team unlimited subs and go off to Hawaii for a party..:D

7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    In the 50's they played a couple of 'All star' type games with Great Britain playing the Best of Europe.

The first game was won handily by GB 6-1.
    The second was 3-1 for Europe, after GB scored first. Mainly because “The continentals had learned how to shoot and move the ball around.” according to Billy Liddell my childhood hero. Only he and Stanley Mathews played in both games for GB.

Be fun to try it now but just imagine the logistics.

8. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    alright so lets suppose brits(the guys from the british isles) vs. the foreign legions

Brits

Owen Shearer

Giggs Keane Gerrard Beckham McCallister

Ferdinand Campell Cole

Seaman

would this be a good line up for the brits, and what would a lineup of foreigners look like

9. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mccallister? are you serious?

10. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    We all know that the British team is England with Giggs. Keane is from Eire so doesn't qualify (and would probably complain about the training facilities anyway)

The foreign legion would completely stuff us.

Van N. Henry

Pires Viera Veron Kewell

Riise Desailly Hyppia Ziege

Barthez

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeh, those French players are unbeatable aren't they. Maybe the foreign team should play Diouf and Diao instead of Henry and Viera :D

12. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    yeh the brits would get rocked bc henry and van the man are too much especially for old hands semen i mean seaman... bwaaaaa... jk

13. thedeuce_2

thedeuce_2 New Member

May 22, 2002
    Virginia
    I think an All-Star game would be awesome, but I'd split North-South or East-West instead ok UK vs. World. It just seems better to me that way. Just my opinion. I think it would be great either way though! :D

14. scouseratheart

scouseratheart New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    USA
    so the teams are:

and

This would be a good contest...I actually think it could end in a draw, with the foreigners' superior field players cancelled out by Barthez's stupidity in goal...

15. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've looked at this thread a few times now and I can't let it go. McAllister?? Two left backs in the ROW team? The clown Barthez in goal? Please!

Surely...

Owen Shearer
    Giggs Keane Gerrard Beckham
    A Cole Campbell Ferdinand G Neville
    Given

vs

Henry van Nistelrooy
    Pires Vieira Veron Kewell
    Ziege Gallas Hyppia Melchiot
    Dudek

Pick the best players in their proper positions (I know Kewell usually plays on the left, but Pires is better and if you want Ljungberg on the right you can have him. I have to make room for Kewell because he's a very special player) and the ROW team would definitely spank the Brits.

16. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    The ROW team would also have Duff, J-F Hasselbank and Given in their squad, if not in the 1st team. Not bad.

17. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    London+Manchester vs. the rest. All of the London and Manchester teams vs. all of the other teams in the league. It seems that about a third of the teams are London or London suburb teams. Just add Manchester and you make up the numerical advantage by having Arsenal and ManUre.

18. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    So Keane would be on one side and Duff and Given on the other?

The Irish guys would be on the "Rest of World" team, for the simple fact that Ireland isn't part of Britain (as a side note, why do English people always say "Eire" when referring to us?). They could make a Lions-style team along the same lines as rugby, but then it wouldn't be a British team.

19. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    If Finnan was voted the best right back in the premiership then he deserves to play on whatever side the Irish would be on.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Manure and the Smoke..That would give a whole new meaning to smog....:)

Liverpool would still beat these guys, no need for any outside help.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    All this talk is really dreamin' Let's face it All Star games are usually c r a p. It's a novelty game. Nobody really cares who wins. Nobody wants to get hurt. A couple of players might want to put on a show but not for 90 minutes. It's something akin to a testimonial game. A bit of fun and a chance to see the stars enjoy a bit of relxation

No it's Club 'first' then Country....!

22. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    ENglands national team would be demolished if it were set up the same way as the MLS 02 set up. Hell, any team would be demolished by the foreign players in England.

23. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

north v south would be a very good idea......

none of this is ever going to happen...but its a good thought....

24. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

i think north v south in england would be very well supported...quite passhanatly (Sp?) i'd love for the north to kick the soft southern fairies.

imagine the kits. northerners in skins
    southerners in tutu's

25. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Instead of North vs. South based on teams, what about (to borrow a concept from rugby league) a State of Origin game or, in this case, North vs. South based on player's birth place? In other words, Real Northerners vs. Real Southerners? A much better idea.

Other ideas:

The Champions vs. Football League All Star Team (the best players from Divisions One through Three).

Tottenham vs. Sunderland (we are talking about a shield for Charity cases here, aren't we?)