What were the most PAINFUL results for YOU? (3 MAX)

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by ferreirajl, Jul 3, 2005.

1. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    SHOCK therapy

NOOOOOooooooooooooo!!!!!
    Ricardo you assssssssss what are you dooooinnnng???!!!!

[​IMG]

You freaking fish face!
    You ruined it!

[​IMG]

Arrrrrrrgh....
    ...no!

[​IMG]

2. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think I remember that game...It was typical Italian soccer. Defend, defend, defend, counter attack, goal, game over. Wasn't Paulo Futre on that team?

3. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Freaking fish face? Hehehee :D

4. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I'm working on new insults :D

5. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL
    Doesn't he sort of look like a younger version of Jay Leno?

6. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Find the differences

7. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Mine...

Germany 1 - Portugal 1

We should have had that game, which would've meant that we would be respresented in the major tourneys from 1996 onwards, but a bogus 2nd yellow on Rui Costa killed the dream. Defending a 1-0 lead against Germany was tough for the boys to handle...

USA 3 - Portugal 2

This was a huge upset. Portugal was meant to go to the QF's, at the very least, by all the pundits. I mean, we had the USA, S. KOrea, and POland in our group...how hard could it have been, right? :rolleyes:

Greece 1 - Portugal 0

Getting all the way to a final, in front of your own fans, you pretty much have this all wrapped up, right? How could you lose? Well, a determined opponent will kill all dreams. This hurts more for Sportinguistas - we had to endure this type of defeat, too. A double whammy...it hurts like hell. I hope no-one in here has to go through it like we had to...

8. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    Fifa IMO doesnt like Portuguese winning and it goes back to my thread that we get no respect as a league and a national team because alot of our games that we have played has been corupt games refs not calling things our way wanting the other team to win etc etc jsut my little opinoin

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I said the EC Final (obvious choice for anyone)
    France in 2000 (First time I ever thought PT would win something)
    and '66 because I've seen highlights of the run and know what it took for England to become "champs" + had Portugal won that thing I'm pretty sure we would of been more of a fixture in WC's and maybe would of got another and also none of us would ever be so dishearted to lose anything if we already had a title in the bank.

10. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    I voted in the Euro-2000, Portugal against France... ARGH! Only thinking that it was France... I only liked Vieira and Pires, and since that game, I can't even think in French Football! (I Also dsont like Arsenal FC, dont ask me why ;P

The game against USA and Korea, Well, I was eating, here, in Portugal, was midday... I think that I missed the apetite :(

11. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    I voted now I must self medicate ;(

12. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    '00 EC semi-final vs France (1-2)

I do not think I need a explanation for that one!

No diubt in my mind that we would have beaten Italy if we would have made it to the finals that year!

'02 WC group phase vs Korea (0-1)

I swear, I saw Sergio Conceicao hitting the inside of the post for weeks after that game. Heck, I still cannot get that outa my head!

13. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Must you remind us Ferreirajl???
    I voted for the EC2004 Final w/ Greece. Were our hopes any higher at any point in our history? Nope... 2nd choice was vs France EC1984, we could smell the final, Jordao leading the way and all of a sudden BAM, down and out. That hurt. 3rd choice was EC2000 again vs France; boy do we need some vengeance on them! :mad:

14. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    02 WC vs USA. We let ourselves down. :mad:
    Both France Games, Just because. :mad: :(

15. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    These were all painful, but for most of us, we were just watching them on TV. After the game is over, you can do things to get your mind off of it, i.e. go for a walk, hit golf balls, kick your cat, etc. etc.

What is even more painful is to actually have been in attendence for one of these games. To further increase the pain, Portugal was a favorite and you travelled halfway across the globe to see them play. For added effect, you were one of only 1,000 or so Portuguese fans in attendence while the rest of the 60,000 people in attendence were rooting for the home team. And to top it off, you had to take a 16 hour flight home the next morning still thinking about the game.

No doubt about it - Korea v. Portugal in 2002 will always be the most painful game for me.

16. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    Euro2004-Final against Greece
    Euro1984 - Semis against France - After taking the lead against France in OT we let ourselves down
    Euro2000 - Semis against France - The hand of the evil....

France sucks :mad:

17. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    For me it's:

'93 WCQ last group game vs Italy (0-1)
    '97 WCQ vs Germany (1-1)

18. Ricardo76

Ricardo76 New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Lisboa
    '97 WCQ vs Germany (1-1)
    '86 WC vs Marrocco (3-1) - I was up all night to see that :p - first win of a African team on a WC ever :(
    '04 EC Opener vs Greece (2-1)
    - dunno why, but that defeat was too much for me.... we played crap, with our reserves (!)....
    Loosing in the final was a replay of that game, but then I went to see Shrek II and I started my vacations way from the TV and internet ;)