What we need

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Chris_G, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

May 21, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I still would really like to know what Sigi's problem with Seb is.

3. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about this quote regarding EZ -
    OMG EZ instead of Ritchie? The man is on crack.

4. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seb is always stealing food off Sigi's plate when he's not looking... :eek: ;)

5. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

May 21, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean "plate's"

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Add those in with Garey's incredible intangibles and Ngwenya's superb first touch and you have to wonder if Sigi's smoking crack.

7. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah exactly. The guy is starting to make me worry. Anyone who thinks EZ for any particular reason should be on the field instead of Kotschau is totally lost his mind. EZ should only be on the field if like two or three defenders are injuried. Put that with the Garey intanigbles. Ngwenya touch. And playing 7 defenders while being down 1-0 at home and being one man up against D.C. United. Well, that last one only bothers me everyone else seems cool with that. But still..

Also wanting another midfielder. When Seb is the only person doing anything right. We need to trade for a striker! that is priority one dumb ass. If you want priority two, it's get some international who can play Garey's position. Priority three, trade for another quality defender and cut Ezra.

But Sigi is most worried about how to replace one of the only brightspots on this team. Just hire Robert. I have given the guy a chance but that's ridicoulous that he wants to find someone in the midfield. And I figure that's not for two central midfielders and one that works with Seb because we always need a d-mid or two on the field. It's to replace Seb.

You can put Seb and Grabavoy in central mid. That is probably one of the best depths we have on the entire field after the d-mid position.

Seb bad. Garey and Gaven and anyone else who wants to be invisible have fantastic intangibles!

8. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Rozental is 20 pounds overweight?
    I can't imagine Seb getting PT if he were on any other team in the league. Since he is the only player in Columbus who has any idea how to get an attack going, he plays.

9. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's not 20lbs overweight. he's thick, not fat, there is a difference. case in point? Seb is 175 and 5'10, that's not fat by any medical standards. and Thomas is the same height, and 177. so there. all this shit about Seb being fat is just totally bullshit.

10. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now Sigi on the other hand...................... How much does Sigi weigh?

11. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have not given him a chance you idiot. Less than one season after where this team was? I may question some of his moves but every time i do i just remember that he has won a few more trophies than i have. The idea that we should switch to someone else after less than one year is a worse idea than starting EZ over Ritchie. And we all seem to know how bad of an idea that is. Honestly, if that rook doesn't hit that in after a scramble and Gaven converts, the switch sounds like a genius idea. Ez was bad out there, but on the crosses he wasn't awful. I doubt its a permanent switch. Calm down.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I wonder about this too. Sigi has gained a lot of weight since the end of last year. It's obvious he has an eating disorder. Are any players subconsciously resentful of an authoritarian coach who is undisciplined in an obvious way?

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Remember that once Robert took over last year, the Crew were a middle of the pack team. That would get us a playoff spot this year if we won at the same rate. Let's not make it sound like we were hopeless once Nee left.

14. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll fess up to being a '' 'spiracy theorist" who believes strongly in the impact of having an active coach. I would watch practice footage on clubs and often times head coaches would be out front leading in the warm ups. Often times, while instructing, they'd be moving frantically, to sometimes drive home a point in techiniques or something. One can only lead a team as far as he's been.

15. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And Sigi's been to MLS Cup, USOC, and CONCACAF Champions' Cup. All of which he's won as a coach.

What's your point?

16. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for the damn Galaxy! :rolleyes: rep that on their boards.

17. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm just going to pretend a Crew fan didn't just post something that ********ing idiotic.

18. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew fan being the key words. Kudos for what he's done for the Galaxy. But he's Crew now. Sorry for being uber-concerned and pissed at the current state of affairs that is, the 2006 Columbus Crew. I should be more of a Care Bear.

19. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    THOMA your post had nothing what-so-ever to do with what he's done or not done for the Crew. You stated that coaches can only go as far as they have been themselves.

Quite simply, the Crew hired Sigi BECAUSE of where he had been. That would be an MLS Cup Champion, a US Open Cup Champion, and a CONCACAF Champions' Cup Champion. Not to mention one of the top coaches at the NCAA level and a top US Youth National Team coach.

Now the question before us is has this championship coach lost his touch.

This year certainly hasn't been good and it's not something I would tell you to ignore or not be pissed at. However, sometimes it takes longer then a year to turn things around. Sometimes despite making the right decisions most of the time, things still go to shit. Sometimes despite trying to make changes on the fly, things don't work out. That's life.

If all I had to go by was this year to decide if Sigi has the ability to put a winner on the field, I'd say yeah sack him. However, I don't. Sigi has proven to be a winner in the past. He has proven he can take a team to a championship and win it. And I think he knows what he needs to turn it around for next year. What's more I think he's itching at the chance to redeem himself of this debacle. A motivated champion that's been knocked on his ass can be hell on wheels.

Will I agree with everything he does and says? Nope. Does that mean I think he's not capable of doing this job? Nope.

20. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone agrees that Sigi needs one more year to determine how he will do. Or at least until after the all-star game, if we still are cellar dwellers then, he can be sacked and let Bob take over the team for the rest of the season, and possibly the next, I hope. I think the players respect Bob cause he bled Black and Gold for this team and still does.

21. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for that insight, Dr. Phil.

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes BigSoccer makes me want to slit my wrists. Now is one of those times.

23. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry. There are bigger priorities than finding someone to replace Seb. We need a ********ing striker. Anyone who is not blind should be spending every single penny of allocation money on a striker. EZ is horrible. There is no worse idea than starting EZ over anyone. Sigi tactics are questionable time and time again. I wouldn't have a doubt in my mind if he just did what makes sense.

If we lose and the tactics are right. Then I have no problems. You gave it your best shot.

Steve Sampson has won some trophies to. Andrulis won a supporters shield for us. Trophies don't mean anything unless you win them for Columbus. I don't care what the guy has done before this season.

He has to prove himself to Crew fans. We don't owe him anything.

24. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    So this season hasn't worked out the way we'd all hoped. The off-season had us all pumped. The wheeling and dealing were brilliant, and I dare any of you to say otherwise, and Sigi made the players work during the preseason.

We had some bad luck; way too many injuries; some decisions went against us, some signings looked better as roadkill than as players. How many times did we play the same lineup two games in a row?

Most of us know where the problems are, and I'm guessing Sigi does too. He seems to be even more frustrated than we are, and there will be changes and things will get better.

I will stand behind the team, for better or for worse. As I've said before, being a supporter is not a rational decision, and it is at times like this I can revel in the absurdity supporting a team with a rotten season while Scum fans wonder what I'm doing supporting the Crew. I have to accept the bad times because they will make the good times that much better.

However, I am not going to mortgage my future to the team. It is, when all is said and done, only a game, no matter how fervently we want to believe that the success of the Crew is the key to happiness. I have a career and obligations that have more immediate and pressing demands than a Saturday afternoon game. Keep the game in perspective, because for some people, life can get a lot worse than a loosing season. Consider the following and put the aspirin and razor blades away.

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The really depressing thing is that the Crew forum is in off-season mode two months before the end of the season.

We've already reset the clock.