what was the difference between the Portugal of Euro 2000 and the team of world cup?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Fender playa, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Im asking this because i stumbled upon the tapes of Portugal in euro 2000, so i watched the tape of France-Portugal. portugal looked different, they were faster. had crisp passes, more possesion, more chances and were alot more creative!

But the world cup team wasnt at all like that. I know figo and Rui costa, was injured but mostly the team was the same axcept for the exceptions off Costinha and Vidigaul. Something went wrong in the world cup!!

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The difference Portugal stunk in the WC and they had a good run all the way to the semifinals in the Euro00.
    Some players got old, some injury and the others were out of form.

3. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Rui Costa and Figo run this team. The rest of the players are good, but those two are the playmakers.

I think that Euro2000 was the peak of Figo's career. He has gone downhill since then and has been carrying an ankle injury for a long time. Last year, I thought Madrid improved tremendously when Macca or Geremi would replace him.

Rui Costa has been hurt for the last year. Expecting much out of him is a mistake.

Other players were just off form. I remember, in the waning minutes of the SK game, Nuno Gomes trying to kick a slow ball over the top and his foot landing on top of the ball.

Baia had a very bad start to the tournament and they just couldn't turn it around. I think their mentality of high expectations but no previous achievements or real challenges was very fragile and the 3-0 deficit was a very serious mental blow.

4. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    1. Figo was injured and played like a below average player, not one of the 2-3 best in the world. He alone would have made a huge difference.
    2. Rui Costa was out of form. Again, he is a player, who when healthy and on his game is one of the top 3-4 attacking midfielders in the world.
    3. Antonio Oliveira stuck with a few players who were slightly over the hill – Baia, Jorge Costa and arguable Couto.
    4. AO made horrible tactical and lineup decisions, and did little to no preparation work.
    5. The team did not have the chemistry it had in Euro 200. Also, the Golden Generation may have peaked during that tournament. If it were not for a very questionable call in the semifinal game against France, Portugal could have won that tournament.

Remember one thing, two years is an eternity in terms of a player’s development. With so many of the ‘Golden Generation’ in that 29 – 31 range, it is not surprising that some of these guys were not able to keep up. To make you all feel better, remember that France won the WC in ’98 and Europe in ’00, and did not score a goal in Korea.

5. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Very questionable call in Euro2000 semi-final.
    If was France committing the UNINTENTIONAL hand ball, the linesman would HAVE KEPT HIS FLAG DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

6. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    While I would not doubt that Figo’s peak may have been 2000, let’s not forget that he had a pretty damn good year in 2001, even for his world class standards. I think 99.8% of the world would have taken the year Figo had in 2001 and called it their career best.

After Figo was hurt, Madrid was better with the others -- not before, not even close.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Its nice we are starting to agree, we do need a big change. Can the new coach do it?

8. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Of course. He was much better in 2000/2001. Towards the end of this last season, he couldn't beat players with pace or dribbling. Players who were obviously less skilled contributed much more to the team.

He used to be one of the very best in the world. He no longer is.

9. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    For the last time, the guy had little or no use of his left ankle. He could not accelerate, cut or go to the left. I am not going to argue that he could not beat much lesser skilled players off the ball, but to ignore the injury is very short-sighted. Can he get near his top form once again? Huge question. I still think it is going to take him some time to get back in form.

10. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I hope Figo makes you eat your words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Darr

Darr Member

Apr 6, 2002
    St.Louis, MO
    The Difference...

1.) UN-Healthy Figo
    2.) Even though Pauleta hit 3 in a game, I think its safe to say that the strikers have seen better form... Gomes anybody?...
    3. Never underestimate the LUCK factor... If Donovan's goal doesn't go in off a defenders head?... Ahh the what if game...
    4.) PRESSURE! Every team in there WC group played with no pressure, major expectations... Portugal had neither...

12. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Y'all need to calm down.

Who mentioned the ankle injury first?
    I did, so it's hardly as though I'm ignoring it.

He was fantastic before. In recent months, for whatever reasons, he has not been fantastic. Will he be fantastic again? I don't know.