What was Brazil's best game ever for you?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by MIGkiller, Jul 2, 2005.

1. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Will this be open for users in Brasil as well?

Why not just use bittorrent or emule?

P.S.: If anyone is interested in São Paulo matches, the Toyota Cup finals 92-93 are fairly available in emule - I have them here already

2. brazil_forever

brazil_forever New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    hello, im really interested in getting these games. any help!

3. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Those were indeed two magical moments by Brazil vs. the USSR, especially the Eder goal. Never seen anything like it before or since. But personally as I've mentioned before I thought that the Brazil/Argentina match in 1982 was the Jogo Bonito perfected. Even better than the 1970 Brazil/Italy match, which was tied at 1-1 for some time. And the USSR match which Brazil trailed 1-0 for sometime.

Why Brazil/Argentina 1982 as the best Selecao match ever? Watch footage of this match, and you may be swayed to agree.

1) The magnitude of this match. This was the most talented Argentina side to ever grace a WC, Passarella, Kempes, and a young Diego Maradona. Not to mention they were defending champions that added Diego to their side.

2) The first and second goals by Brazil. The first, I've already mentioned in several threads, Eder's free kick which Zico scored off of was the most spectacular free kick I'd ever seen (watch the keepers reaction on the play!).
    The second goal, the ease in the way Zico picked out Junior, threading him the ball a full 20 yards, in between defenders.

4) Watching Diego sent off in disgrace with his team down 3-0.

4. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    the brasil national team is holy. it is a sacred event for football fans when brasil is playing. they certainly get my attention more than any other team, club or country. i can't imagine preferring to watch any other team if you appreciate great football.

how about england 1 brasil 3 in a friendly circa 1995? brasil was down 1-0 at half at wembley and came back with 3 goals in the second half.

brasil 3 holland 2 at the world cup 94 was a great game. bronco's free kick was a classic.

5. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    If it is the game I'm thinking about Juninho was a monster that day and Edmundo played wonderfully well. :)

6. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    how about brasil 8 saudi arabia 2 at the 99 confederations cup? that is when i first heard of ronaldino. he had 4 goals.

and brasil 6 australia 0 at the 97? confederations cup final.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I remember that one very fondly - the Umbro Cup.

8. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    ....I was there at Wembley to see it. An 18 year old RONALDO also scored.

9. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Yes I voted Brazil/Argentina 82, but under "other", I'm surprised no one has mentioned the match that started it all for Brazil at the WC. Possibly Brazil's most historic victory. I don't even see it listed on the poll. Brazil 5 - Sweden 2. Brazil's 1st ever WC triumph, and the only non-european side to triumph on european soil. Pele's legendary "lob" goal, and his legend was born. Not to mention Brazil defeated them on their home soil.

I guess most of us on here weren't even alive when this took place so maybe that's why it wasn't mentioned. But at least footage of the match can be seen.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was talking with a German teacher here in NYC the other day who watched all of those games. What he remmebers most though was the Swedes being very physical with Fritz Walter in the semis. It was a lot of fun to talk to him about those tournaments.

As for me, I have it as one of my favorites, and have it on tape today, but voted for something I saw live.

11. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    The match was mentioned in post #3. However, I did not vote for it (as other) beacuse I have not seen the whole match (only HLs). So I went for a match I saw live.

12. brazil_forever

brazil_forever New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    to me it's brazil argentina 82. i still take delight in watching socrates play. priceless

13. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    it is amazing how they have a constant stream of great players. and it is also amazing that all these guys year after year don't feel the pressure, since nothing short of winning every tournament they enter is considered acceptable. it also seems that many of these brasilian players play better together than they do scattered around the world on club teams. for example, kleberson was a hero in 02 and a flop at manchester united. brail playinjg football together is somewhat analogous to the old soviet union ice hockey teams of the 60s, 70s and 80s. beautiful to watch, very artistic, and the players play at their best when playing together.

14. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Amen, that was by far their best match of that tournament.

15. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well that's one way of looking that it I guess. But i'm not exactly sure what you expected off players with the quality of Sinclair and Heskey. Our only real chance would of come from a Beckham set piece or some Owen opportunism. I still maintain we were sh1t and Ronald G was lucky.

16. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Rather downplay the victory than give credit where its due?

potter, instead of focusing on two men - unless you are suggesting that it was actually England playing down a man (you know, 11 minus Heskey + Sinclair...which would be the most original arguement yet) - lets highlight the full England team on the pitch. http://2002.fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/t/m/mr/57.html

Seaman
    Mills
    Cole
    Sinclair
    Ferdinand
    Campbell
    Beckham
    Scholes
    Owen
    Heskey
    Butt

All full blown professional EPLers.

The exact same team that beat Argentina, and Denmark...including Heskey and Sinclair.

They played against 10 men for 33 minutes.

It wasn't the fact that they didn't win the game (sometimes balls don't go in), it was the fact that they couldn't control the last third of the game with a man advantage.

Someone had to make them look like "sh1t" (using your words, I don't view it that way). Are you saying that this would have happened to that England team against any decent NT? I'm sure you don't believe this. It wouldn't say much for Arg and Denmark....they lost to this team playing with their full 11 men squad.

Yep, my vantage point is very different. I'll stand by my post :)

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You did have Paul Scholes too. Anyways. I like it how when England beat Argentina, the media and fans said the players were top notch and the team gave a "marvelous" performance when in fact all they did is score a penalty and then play good defense. I saw that game. It was no big deal. Didn't make me think they were going to win the World Cup like some were saying.

Suddenly against Brazil those players turned into crap ? I don't get it. Well, actually I do. In the end they were a very limited team. But not the point of being dominated by a team with one less player. That my friend has to be credit also to the way Brazil played.

18. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Brazil were the better team all credit to you but we were poor quality imo.

I don't know what you mean there but it's pretty clear Beckham and Owen were clearly are only worthwile offensive players.
    Yes they were. They were also not very good.

Yep (somehow) we had one hell of a CB partnership but not a whole lot else. It was a very depleted and inexperienced sqaud.
    Played is perhaps to kind off a word.

Couldn't agree more we were woeful.
    It was still only 2-1 mate but your right it doesn't say much about Arg or Denmark but the tornoument as a whole was a major letdown imo.

Youv'e watched it twelve times you stick to your guns, but make no mistakes that was a poor England sqaud and a very limp performence.

19. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scholes was in a huge slump he didn't score for us for something like 3/4 years.
    Completly agree. I was more dissapointed with the Argies than I was impressed with us.

Your actually completly right we got found out. Everyone knew is was going to be a very difficult tournoment considering the players we were taking.

20. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    You're still downplaying the Brasilian performance. Every England defeat comes with one of those?

I could respond point by point, but view it as fruitless. From your point of view Brasil were just the least poor of all the poor teams at WC'02. That's very convenient.

No regard for the fact that very few teams would have managed the circumstances - a knock-out QTR final WC game down one man - with such aplomb.

That game will be remembered for a long time for Brasil's undermanned performance.

PS - What does your general rubbishing of that England team imply about the EPL?

21. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Why on earth would I wan't to downplay Brazil's performance. :confused:
    I haven't infact said anything about Brazil's quality all I said was that we were poor,your a bit touchy mate. :)

22. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    You'll find that very few people make me touchy on these boards. In fact, only racist commentary does that (which this wasn't in any way shape or form).

But from my point of view, I don't see how your posts don't downplay the performance. Repeating close to a dozen times that England were rubbish, without acknowledging the other side's contribution to that performance, leaves such an impression.

We're both on record, people can decide for themselves.

23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Fair enough but I really think you have took my contempt for the English team the wrong way.

24. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I respect your opinion, potter.

Since you are here, might as well provide your thoughts on the best Selecao performance from your perspective.

Plus, I'm going to want to understand how you feel about the "new" England squad (I'll go to the England NT forum).