What to root for this weekend (8/26-27)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's your rundown on what the most advantageous outcomes for United would be:

1. DCU beats LA, which would clinch a playoff spot for us by elimnating KC from the #1 seed race and eliminate LA from the Supporters Shield race. All subsequent predictions assume a DC win (dangerous, I know).

2. RSL beats RBNY, which would push the Metro to 2 points from elimination in the #1 seed race.

3. COL beats CHI, which would push CHI to 5 points from elimination in the #1 seed race, all but handing it to us.

4. CHV-HOU: who cares. This game has no effect on DCU.

5. CLB beats NE, because CLB already are elimiated from the #1 seed race and can play spoiler for us, putting NE in the same position as RBNY.

6. KC beats FCD, because KC would already be eliminated from the #1 seed race with a DC win, so their win would lower the magic number for the Supporters Shield to 15, if DC and KC win.

Sachin

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we want this result no matter what the outcome of the DC-LA match is?

3. OnTheEdge

OnTheEdge New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Potomac, MD
    Let me quibble a bit and say that I prefer Chivas win. Houston has an outside chance at the Supporters' Shield (I know, not much of one). Well, actually the main reason for rooting for Chivas is that it makes it that much harder for the Galaxy to qualify for the playoff!

4. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Go Chivas!

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes, given that the statistical probability of DC winning at least one more game OR KC losing at least one more game after this weekend is 1. The magic number to eliminate KC would remain at 3, and the magic number to eliminate Dallas would drop to 18.

DC winning and KC winning is the optimal outcome for us.

Yes.. there is that. Has Quaranta ever played in a playoff match?

Sachin

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  7. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One question, I've seen twice where you said we'll have a MN vs. Dal at 15 with a win and their loss this weekend, but I thought the current MN is 22, shouldn't it go to 16 or is there something else I'm missing with a tie breaker?

thanks.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Hmmm... it's one of two things:

1. My math is off, as I was doing this from memory.
    2. See #1.

Sachin

9. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    We hold the tie-breaker over FC Dallas on virtue of having won the season series (as well as the likelihood of our goal differential being superior). They cannot win the Supporter's Shield if they are even on us for points.

Go DC and go Chivas. I hope that Chivas does as well as possible in the remaining games of the regular season because (quite simply) they are the only team that remotely compares to DC in terms of playing stylish and attractive soccer and that should be rewarded. They would be a worthy (in sporting terms) opponent to DC in MLS Cup and I cannot wait to see the FCD fans' reaction to a DC-Chivas MLS Cup being vied for in a sold-out (would it be the first time this season) Pizza Hut Park.

Due to the time difference, I almost always watch a Chivas or Galaxy game each weekend. As a committed DC fan and Galaxy hater, I dread the games when I have to watch the crappy Galaxy team. But (even last year when they were largely incompetent) watching Chivas is a guilty pleasure. Even last season - the unintentional comedy of Christian Miles, the intentional comedy of Thomas Rongen and the insanely positive play of their terrible team made Chivas a fun underdog to cheer for. This season, Bob Bradley notwithstanding, they are a genuinely entertaining team. I have never enjoyed watching Ante Razov so much and Juan Pablo Garcia and Claudio 'El Emperador' Lopez have become two of my favorite non-DC players. I even give it up for Tim Regan and Jon Bornstein.

Naturally the competence of Chivas and my respect for their cadre of fans make them a rival that is easy to hate and root against when DC plays them. But otherwise, they are so superior in their tactics, effort and execution than ANYONE else in the western conference that I don't mind rooting for them as long as they are in conference play.

For the good of MLS (aesthetically at least) DC and all MLS fans should cheer for a resounding crescendo to the season by Chivas and DC United.

If more teams and their front offices decided to follow the Chivas and DC strategy of relying on key established veterans from Central/South America surrounded by high-energy and improving skill-wise very young American players - it would be good for the league.

Even if such a change makes it slightly more difficult for DC to maintain its ridiculous trophy ratio/season - each trophy that we did win (and I am assured that an excellent organization such as ours is never going to cease to be successful as long as Kevin Payne is around) would be that much more satisfying.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Rooting for Chivas = rooting for cheating Bob. I have no respect for anyone who would do that.

Sachin

11. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    As I said, guilty pleasure.

12. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Never EVER make this thread again

Didn't happen

Didn't happen

Didn't happen

Chivas won which was minimally good at keeping Houston from SS and LA from play-offs

Didn't happen

The only thing that minimally went our way - but KC is still not toast.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I know.. I went back to the well after the other week when everything went our way.

Sachin

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Please don't do one like this next weekend, Captain Jinx :D

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This thread might be as bad as the Barra waving white flags last season.

16. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    maybe someone already mentioned this, i don't know, but could esky taking off his headgear have jinxed us?

is there no more fear of the headgear?

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    grrr we were waving red, black and white flags, photographer just waited till it was one guy waving white flag by himself :D

So not same! Jinxer! :D