What to do with Omar in 2016?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by met999, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @StillKickin - Yep!

StillKickin and ShortyMac repped this.
  2. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar used to play with such joy. I'm missing that in his game.

3. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyasi too.

4. met999

met999 Member

May 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thank you for a voice of rationality-- for some reason people will accept he's declined this year, but, at a crucial point in his deal with the club, still assert that he's worth the same money as before, even when *paying that same money now requires the club to jump through even more hoops*.

If AJ and Omar complementing and covering for each other is the key, then how do you decide which one gets a big contract?

If Omar can't handle our formation, or international callups, or playing with MLS quality teammates, then why should we keep him at that salary?

And how much would we suffer by dropping Omar and finding somewhere in the entire world a good defender who is willing to be paid up to a 300-500k salary (non-DP) for a couple years? Omar himself was simply acquired through the draft, and it's not like he's a once in a lifetime defender. My point is I'd be willing to take that chance with someone else, and save the mountain of allocation money, if we get it, for other important areas of the squad like, I don't know, a *goalkeeper* maybe.

I'm not sure I ever said I expected anyone to change my mind about OG's worth-- the best I could really ask for is to figure out a way to keep him that didn't require the club making unnecessary and unwarranted sacrifices, like when GalaxyKoa clarified that at least a ridiculous amount of GAM would work, and not only a ridiculous amount of TAM. In a perfect world, we sell him for a really good sum (unlikely at this point) or the guy takes a huge pay cut to stay, with option years after next season (very unlikely).

I guess I should give up waiting on those 16 videos of Omar "saving our bacon"?

To those people who believe in him all I can say is-- you've conceded that he's worse this year, so:
    1. Let's see how he performs in the playoffs; ie, the games that matter most. I doubt he'll be good. I hope I'm wrong.
    2. If he stays, let's see if he improves next year. I don't think he'll be here, but if he is, I doubt he'll improve.
    3. If he leaves, let's see if we actually have a significant drop off in results next year (I know about 2012, but that was obv a very different side). I think we'll be fine.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the above makes some sense IF you have confidence in our ability to find a defender of about equal quality. As things stand, I still think that Omar/AJ paired in the center would, if not "solve," at least strengthen our backline measurably. And I just don't see any of the second tier guys on the roster or on Los Dos being anything better than journeymen defenders. But, this team has a history of bringing in defenders who are an embarrassment at best. Not all on Bruce's watch, but still it is a history that doesn't give me a great deal of confidence we can upgrade from Omar on the open market.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is really difficult to find YT videos of a defender making great plays and stopping problems before they happen. They generally do not make the game highlight reel. So asking for this is a bit presumptuous on your part.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  7. met999

met999 Member

May 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No I totally understand that, and actually made that point in one of my posts. I never asked for those kind of videos as a counter argument; instead someone else claimed that for every mistake I posted, he could post 2 videos of Omar making great plays.

And even if he did somehow post those, it doesn't make nonexistent all the mistakes he's made.

8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    You keep carrying on about Omar, yet he is not the only higher paid player on the Galaxy who is not performing up to his salary weight (both DP and non-DP). There are other solutions to our problems that don't involve getting rid of the best defender in MLS (e.g. Gerrard retiring). Not to mention the fact that MLS could have a rule change. It not like that has ever happened before.

StillKickin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  9. met999

met999 Member

May 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And people keep carrying on the other argument.

The issue isn't just that he's underperforming relative to his salary. It's that he's a special case, because of the new salary cap/allocation money gymnastics required to pay the salary that he's not performing up to.

I wouldn't be against someone starting a thread discussing whether Gerrard or dos Santos are worth the money. This thread is about the problem the team has in trying to keep Omar next year, beyond simply paying him his AEG money, to also having to acquire and use allocation money to keep him.

And the fact that he's underperforming kind of calls into question the idea that he's the best defender in the league right now.

Sure MLS could have a rule change. But that hasn't happened yet, so as of now, the problem is as described.

10. reFnCoach

reFnCoach Member

Sep 18, 2003
    SoCal
    I'm not worried about what to do with Omar in 2016, I'm worried about what to do with Omar right now. Agree with others that the best thing would be to pair Omar and AJ again, but that's not going to happen. And in terms of 'things we should be worrying about" right now I'd put this around #4 on priority list, our defense would get a lot better if we solved our offensive and midfield issues.

The Beautiful Gamer and The Cadaver repped this.
  11. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Maybe we should have him be our starting CB and find someone like a Marcelo Sarvas type to pair with Junnho.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. He ain't the problem folks. Had a decent game tonight too with 19 interceptions.

As of right now, I'd rather find a new partner for Juninho than replace Omar.

13. met999

met999 Member

May 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #138 met999, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Omar was good last night. That ball by Feilhaber would beat most CBs in any league, can't fault Omar or Leo really. Gerrard being caught out early in the buildup was the problem.

On that tangent, it's obvious getting rid of Sarvas was a huge short term mistake, and maybe it wasn't even necessary. You could have kept Marcelo on a short term deal (with a raise obviously) and played him with Juni and Gerrard in a 433, or 4231, with Gerrard given a free attacking role in both formations. Gyasi and Ishizaki would have played wings, and if Lletget and dos Santos were still brought in after the season started and Ishizaki released, rotate Zardes, Lletget, and Gio in the two wings. Once fit enough, Gio could roam centrally if so inclined in attack but remain out wide defensively (although his defensive work rate would be a bit of a question mark, that's probably preferable compared to having a hole in midfield as we do now). Then sell/trade Lletget or Zardes in the offseason. Keeping Marcelo would have allowed the club to not pay Varynen his insane wages as a squad CM.

14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Finally we agree on something.

15. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm less worried right now about Omar and his contract than I am about the fact that the two DP's in our midfield don't look like they can both be on the field at the same time. I think he'll probably have a bounce-back year and we have enough DP spots (assuming they find a way to buy Omar down again, which I assume will happen through some sort of jerryrigging, even though it might look hard right now) to field a high-powered offense. It's more of a fish or cut bait issue with Gerrard and figuring out how to have some midfield pressure.

16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone in the Nats MLS thread (a very, very reasonable poster usually) suggested getting rid of Keane in addition to Gerrard.

My response after sputtering:

Robbie Keane
    2015: 20 G, 8A (24 games played) - 1.17/game
    2014: 19 G, 14A & League MVP (29 games played) - 1.14/game
    2013: 16 G, 11A (23 games played) - 1.17/game
    2012: 16 G, 9A (28 games played) - 0.89/game

I mean...

Wat.

17. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Klinsmann Effect?

18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, getting rid of Keane will help. He's clearly been the problem all season. We should also make Juninho our starting goalkeeper and the players need to switch to tennis shoes.

19. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #144 The Beautiful Gamer, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    SMH,...Well posting vids of great plays as evidence of his skill was presented and then promptly dismissed for one reason or another. Besides if it, "doesn't make nonexistent all the mistakes he's made" the exercise of posting vids and stats to the contrary becomes (as it indeed did) pointless.

But it just makes financial sense to let go of Robbie Keane. Sure he was one of the best goal scorers in the league but he didn't win the Golden Boot so he can't be that good. The Galaxy can't afford him and the other DP salaries all at the same time after all. Besides, I can point out multiple plays where he has missed goal scoring opportunity after opportunity which effected the teams points this year. We can find someone cheaper that can score just as much, because high quality players grow on trees in the MLS,...(insert sarcastic smirk here.)

The Cadaver, TrickHog and 73Bruin repped this.
  20. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been one in the past to be critical at times of Keane's play but the dude just flat out produces. He's going to play and be effective until he decides it's time to retire or his body just fails him.

21. met999

met999 Member

May 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #146 met999, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    I asserted in my op that Omar has declined in 2015, and posted video evidence of mistakes he's made this year, mistakes that I contend he doesn't make in previous years (or at least as many).

Then you vaguely argue against me, not mentioning the details of the clips I posted, and say that for every video I posted you could post *2* of Omar "saving our bacon" as evidence for *your* claims.

You proceed to post a short highlight video covering Omar's *2014* season.

Which I watched, and to which I replied:

I myself had acknowledged that the nature of highlight videos makes it hard to find clips of defensive plays.

I never claimed that I needed to see video clips of him making great plays for me to change my mind. You made that claim, and didn't deliver.

What would have made me change my mind is if if I wasn't actually able to find clips of his mistakes this year, or if someone shows me that he made that many important mistakes last year and thus he hadn't actually *declined*, that he was always like this.

@Berks disagrees with my overall contention about Omar this year, but at least posts stats to back that up. I still disagree based on the mistakes I posted and the deceptive nature of defensive stats, but I at least respect the effort to counter what I said with specifics and not vague homerism.

And @skydog is the only one who really took me to task on any of the actual video clips, which I find dissapointing. I disagreed with his assessment, but respect the evaluation and thought put into his arguments.

TrickHog repped this.
  22. met999

met999 Member

May 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #147 met999, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Ridiculous to compare Omar with Keane, which is what you are doing. According to you apparently, if Keane is still playing at a high level, then Omar must be? Ok. Great logic.

And yes, at some point, if Keane sticks around too long, his performance will drop to a level where it does not make financial sense to keep him at that salary. Not hard to understand.

Also not hard to understand is the special case of Omar's salary, which is different than paying the other DP salaries. OMAR NEEDS TO BE PAID DOWN WITH SPECIAL GARBER BUCKS, IN ADDITION TO PAYING HIS SALARY. Get it? His worth was debatable when we were just paying his salary. Now we need to pay his salary and somehow *acquire a ton of allocation money* (which is a limited resource), and on top of that, *as you and others have conceded and for which I posted video evidence*: he has not been as good this year as in previous years. Thus the question-- can we keep him? If we can keep him, should we keep him, or let him go and take our chances with a cheaper, possibly/probably worse defender?

Wow, really struck a personal nerve with you, huh? Ok I get it, you really really like him, and will post obnoxious snarky responses (instead of specific evidence). You totally gloss over the key points of my argument-- the videos of his mistakes, and the fact that we need special funds in addition to his salary to keep Omar next year-- and instead talk vaguely about how great he is (even though you agree he's declined this year) and how much Leo sucks and how stupid I must be to suggest getting rid of Omar to strengthen other areas of the squad. Are you related to Omar? Are you his agent? I can always count on a chuckle with how offended you are each time I dare criticize no 4. (The next Rio Ferdinand, I tell you! [the comparison to Rio was the funniest one; honestly, thank you for that])

23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borrowed from the Nats thread, but Omar makes both Squawka and WhoScored teams of the season.

Yup, starting CB.

P.S. And this in a year where he's been under fire due to our midfield.
    P.P.S. Besler makes neither. Read into that what you will.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. met999

met999 Member

May 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #149 met999, Oct 28, 2015
    Re: stats, I think most would acknowledge that soccer as a sport is one of the least translatable to statistics in terms of evaluating players and teams vs. the simple eye test combined with knowledge of the game. To accept what the stats tell you, you have to believe in the methodology of, eg, squawka, whoscored, except that they are not that transparent.

Big clubs absolutely do not use those stats services that cater to the fans- the clubs actually look down on them, and prefer in-house systems or or other services that are private.

Regardless, let's assume anyway that these stats are gospel-- it still doesn't address the mistakes I posted, or the idea that he's had a general drop off in quality because of those mistakes. The stats don't account for that properly, as I mentioned before. That's great if he's still good, according to the stats. If that's the case, then based on what I see going to games for his whole career here, I want his stats this year to be even better than they are.

I'm not sure if the Besler thing is directed at me or someone else? I'm not that big on him.

25. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #150 The Beautiful Gamer, Oct 28, 2015
    Sigh,... since you are rereading please go back and reread the full quote "For every example you've posted of an Omar brain fart I can post 2 videos of Omar saving the Galaxy's bacon and making dudes like Leo look good and that's post DP money." That's "POST DP MONEY" sir. In August 2013 Omar became a DP (That means 2 and a half years worth of play for both LA and the USMNT can be featured in the examples I could use) and in that time he did indeed still play well and made the likes of Leo look good. You however dismissed the videos I posted because they weren't all from 2015; and one of the videos, which featured Omar scoring the game winning goal against KC this year thus saving the team by securing 3 points, was also was dismissed because it was an offensive effort and not defensive one. Ok Fine. Then when presented with stats by Berks of what he has done this year compared to the rest of the team and the rest of the league that wasn't good enough for you. Okay Fine again. Then when Skydog picked apart your "video evidence" you disagreed with that as well and still stood by your opinion. The idea of getting rid of another DP namely Gerrard was mentioned but that was also dismissed, as the only way you can see him staying is with a rule change. Yet you keep asking is he worth keeping, despite when told yes and offered potential ways he could be kept, you dismiss the ideas. At that point the entire exercise is pointless. If I really wanted to I could whip out my adobe premiere and cut together all of Omar's touches from every major game he has appeared in this year and only show you the good stuff, but as you have already said "it wouldn't make nonexistent the mistakes he has already made" so again wtf is the point if your mind is already made up as to his value to the team. As for my Keane comment, clearly I was being facetious. If you can imply multiple times that Omar has dropped off to a point where he is on par with the likes of Leonardo after one year. Then why be offended if someone states Keane is worth sacrificing despite his season not being quite as nice as the Golden boot winner. Is Keane's production not also debatable? The point here is there is always a way to keep a player if you want them and you feel they are worth keeping. And that includes ways other than paying the SPECIAL GARBER BUCKS. However if you have made up in your mind that he isn't worth the trouble of trying to figure out a way to keep him because his mistakes are just too unforgivable, it is pointless to keep asking people the question. Especially when you haven't offered up a single idea yourself to keep him outside of some type of allocation money.