What the papers say - Giggs to Bolton...Rooney disappoints kids

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by fedwood, Nov 14, 2004.

1. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Bolt for Giggsy
    Ryan Giggs' Manchester United future is up in the air - and Bolton are ready to move for him. Giggs, stunned to be axed for last week's Manchester derby, has not sorted out a new contract and is concerned he may be moved out in a cull by Sir Alex Ferguson. That has alerted Sam Allardyce, who has admitted inside The Reebok that he'd go for the wonder winger if he gets encouragement from pal Fergie. The Bolton boss is a huge fan of Giggs and the pair have influential mutual friends. Bolton are also sponsored by Reebok, who would be delighted to see their star client in their strip.
    Alan Nixon, The People

Ryan: Why I said no
    Ryan Giggs has spoken for the first time about rejecting a contract extension at Manchester United. He said: “I have been offered a one-year extension to my current deal but I turned it down. I was hoping for a longer deal. I want to end my career at United and asked them to reconsider. I hope that they come back to me with a longer deal. For the moment, I’ll just have to wait and see.”
    Gary Ward, News of the World

48 hours
    Malcolm Glazer has sensationally been given 48 hours to buy Manchester United. He will be set a deadline by the City to mount a full-scale £790million takeover – or walk away from the fight for a year. It is understood that the Takeover Panel will force him to show his hand by Wednesday morning – amid allegations he tried to lean on the United board. Glazer now must declare whether he plans to mount a takeover or not. If he says ‘Yes,’ he could be in control by February. But if he says ‘No’ he can still cause chaos – with chief executive David Gill and finance director Nick Humby firmly in his sights.
    James Fletcher, News of the World

Skint
    Manchester United may not be for sale as far as the Old Trafford fans are concerned. But manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been warned by his Old Trafford paymasters that he will have to cash in on his current crop of players if he wants to be bankrolled further in the transfer market. United chief executive David Gill said last night: "The bottom line is that we have already spent the entire budget earmarked for next summer on bringing Wayne Rooney to the club a year ahead of our original schedule. We now have 25 players in the first-team squad and that is enough for any club. Whether the manager is happy with the quality is entirely a matter for him. If he isn't, then we will have to reduce numbers before he can bring in new faces.”
    Simon Mullock, Sunday Mirror

United in dark over meeting
    Manchester United will not commit themselves to peace talks with Arsenal until the FA give them specific assurances about which issues they want to address. There is a deep sense of mistrust inside Old Trafford about the FA’s involvement in their feud with the Gunners, because of Highbury vice-chairman David Dein’s powerful influence at Soho Square. United want guarantees that they are not being summoned to the meeting to be lectured about their conduct.
    Simon Mullock, Sunday Mirror

United ring Bel
    Manchester United and Arsenal are locked in a fierce battle to sign Turkish star Emre Belozoglu. United have already had preliminary talks with the player’s agent Ahmet Bulut, but the Gunners have also had a long-standing interest in him. Bulut said: “Emre would dearly love to play for United.”
    Staff reporter, News of the World

Schwarz in Fergie hint
    Mark Schwarzer has opened the door on a move to Manchester United by revealing a pay row is set to force him out of Middlesbrough. Schwarzer’s deal with Boro expires at the end of the season and he said: “This is the biggest decision of my career but it may be best for both parties to move on. It’s flattering to be linked with United but what happens next is up to Boro.”
    Staff reporter, News of the World

Red men walking
    Sir Alex Ferguson will be faced with a big star sell-off in the summer amid growing speculation that skipper Roy Keane is considering quitting Manchester United. Midfield stars like Kleberson and Eric Djemba-Djmeba could be earmarked for departure after so far failing to live up to high expectations, while Louis Saha could also be a valuable asset to raise funds in the clearout. Goalkeeper Ricardo looks like being shown the door too, as United seriously put into place plans to prune their highly-paid playing staff.
    Steve Millar, Daily Star Sunday

Ole killing time
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will know in nine months whether his soccer career is finished. He has a date in the first week of August circled in his diary which will become his day of destiny. That’s when the United star will be allowed to kick a ball for the first time following his major knee operation in Gothenburg last August.

Lazy Lazio pay up
    Manchester United will finally get paid for Jaap Stam – four years after they sold him to Lazio for £16.5million. Chairman Sir Roy Gardner amazingly revealed at the club’s AGM that United had just received another chunk of the transfer fee from the Italians. That now means that Lazio have so far paid only £8m for the Dutch defender sold to them in 2001. The £8.5m balance will finally be wired into United’s bank next May – an announcement by Gardner that brought howls of derision from the floor.

Final insult
    Roy Carroll last night opened his heart on his battle to become Manchester United’s No.1 keeper. He revealed his hurt of being axed for last season’s FA Cup final, saying: “I was feeling down last year when the manager brought back Tim Howard for the final. But if you don’t feel down there’s something wrong with you. I’ve always just carried on fighting to win back the position. I know I am good enough to be in the team but you can’t afford to start thinking you are going to be picked every week. Nobody can at United.”
    James Fletcher, News of the World

We were 24 hours from Roo
    Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has revealed for the first time that he was just 24 hours away from landing England superstar Wayne Rooney. Shepherd said: "We genuinely thought we were going to get Wayne Rooney. If Manchester United hadn't responded immediately with a bigger offer I think we would have got him. We were probably just 24 hours away from pulling off the biggest coup in the club's history.”
    Brian McNally, Sunday Mirror

Wish Roo were here
    Nine children made a 500-mile round trip to see Wayne Rooney ... and were left stranded by their hero. Rooney, who was scheduled to meet the youngsters and give them a coaching session, claimed he was sick - too sick to even pick up the phone and speak to the disappointed kids. The boys and girls - who had won a contest organised by one of Rooney's sponsors, Pringles - had to go back to Surrey from Cheshire without seeing the Manchester United striker.
    Steve Bates and Andy Dunn, The People

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=125168&itype=466&icategoryid=365

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I'd never seen this section of the Man United website before. Ever. And because the news seems to be from major newspapers, you know it has to be true. I'm so mad I think I'll become a Chelsea fan now. :mad:

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Awww, you and ZANI can form a club together. It'll be cute! :)

4. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    Lol...nice one...

5. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Giggs isn't ********ing leaving - he'll get whatever he wants... Giggs is a red for life, as are Keane, Ole, and Scholes. Those men will retire as United players.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Damn right

7. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    im sure you said the same about Butt and Beckham

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    seems simple right? wrong! Keane is Keane, if u think he might be sold you have lost it completely. Ole? after sticking with the club despite being used mainly as a sub despite his obvious talent? Never! Scholes? He scores goals!!! Also our best midfielder the last 5 years or so. Giggs was 2nd captain after Roy and now behind Rio as well. Beckham played harder for England than United while Butt sat his Butt on the bench mostly...

9. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The papers have to fill their pages with something, even if it is senseless speculation.

Giggs at the Reebok? Dont make use the ugly face-> :eek: Geez...he turned down a one year offer and now he is being connected everywhere. The Wes Brown negoiations looked bad, and he resigned. Ruud was said to be leaving, he stayed. Thats not to say he will or wont go, but at this point I'd wager he will be resigned and continue to play for United.

10. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    I would put decent money on Giggs staying at Old Trafford. Manchester United is a club that is not that strapped for cash where they would have to sell off Giggs. From a player standpoint it would probably not look good to get rid of a loyal player for the fast buck. Not to mention there are other players that the team could easily part with for cash.

11. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    its good that you try make arguments over things people never said
    I wrote Giggs to Bolton and when someone said he wouldnt leave i said what about Beckham and Butt
    and then u come in screaming Keane wouldnt leave, neither would OGS or Scholes..can we have a clap for the special child

12. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    News of the World, Daily Star, Daily Mirror - if you saw what went into the other pages of these rags then you'd be even less worried Robert25 ;)

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Watch out AFC Wimbledon.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I would put decent money on Beckham staying at Old Trafford. Manchester United is a club that is not that strapped for cash where they would have to sell off Beckham . From a player standpoint it would probably not look good to get rid of a loyal player for the fast buck. Not to mention there are other players that the team could easily part with for cash.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    read the whole thread jackass... I was referring to someoneelse's (correct) statement that Giggs was one of the few who would never leave United that includes Roy, Ole and Scholes... I just simple justified why they would not leave - so go clap yourself on the back a$$whipe and remember that people do post comments that are not completely related to the rubbish you spew.

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Actually, I think Giggs is the most likely to leave, as his abilities are clearly declining. I don't see him taking a reserve role full time, either.
    I think Keane will stay until his legs fall off, which is sadly not too far off.

17. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does not a blind apple obey the church twice a day?

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I would put decent money on Beckham leaving Old Trafford. Manchester United is a club that is not prepared to accept sub-standard performances from a media whore. From a player standpoint it makes sense to get rid of Beckham because it shows that anyone can be replaced if they let their standards slip. It also takes away the predictable nature of the midfield. Beckham does not justify his wage. He can get to ********.

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I think it would be stupid to say "Player X will never, ever leave". We all know that Fergie is often ruthless in shipping off players whose abilities have declined--even fan favorites. Do I hope that I never see Giggs, Keane, Solskjaer, etc. leave the club? Absolutely. But I know that SAF has been in this game long enough to make the decisions that are best for the club, and sadly if that means getting rid of those guys, while I won't be happy about it, I will come to accept it.

20. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If there's one constant of the SAF-era, it's that no player is bigger than the club. Giggs is going to leave, in all probability. He seems to wish to play a great deal longer. He won't start for much longer at Man Utd, won't want to sit the bench, and will want more money than he's worth. Keane's physical abilities will no longer him to play consistently at the top flight very soon (and probably already). OGS is...ermm... done. Of that group, only Scholes is likely to finish his career at United, and that's more because I don't think he would play anywhere else (when United are finished with him, I think he'll be finished with football).

If a player is no longer worth having, sentiment shouldn't get in the way. Loyalty is a two way street, guys: if you wanted United to keep these guys after they're no longer valuable, you'd be letting the players get away with screwing the club out of their wages.

All good things come to an end. No reason to taint them by trying to prolong them past their viability.

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm with haven on this. SAF has shown an ability and ruthlessness to move players on when the time is right, however iconic they have become. Becks, Irwin, Cole, Yorke, Pallister, Bruce, Ince, Robson - at the time these left it was considered unthinkable not long before.

The only exception may be Keane. Though I suspect Keane will go when he feels he can't deliver to his own expectations (and unless there is some change I suspect this will be off to Celtic for a final year or two at the end of this season).

The really stoopid thing is we had an agreement to buy Robben - a natural Giggs replacement. Only to get financial cold feet. A very costly mistake as good young left-sided players are not exactly plentiful. So we have no Giggs replacement when it was apparent last year we needed one.

Also, no Keane replacement. DjDj, Kleberson, Fletcher, P Nev, O'Shea all just don't cut it in this position - let alone getting to the Keane / Vierra / Gerrard performance levels.

Rest of the team is great! Scholes will hit form again, our defense looks solid and we have four great attacking players again. But as the article says, we are gonna have to offload some of the failed central mids before we buy - can't wait for them all to develop!

22. jysharma

jysharma New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    The loss of Robben was a big one. I think it was bigger than even Ronaldinho.
    Also I think offloading the crappy midfielders we have wont raise even 10 million dollars. We have to sell a striker (Saha) and even then we wont have enough money to buy a good left winger and a quality d mid. We have to breed young players rather than buying them for tens of millions.

23. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    You must think you were f&cking brilliant changing my post around. There is a big difference between trading Beckham and Giggs.

24. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    why would you quote what i said and be referring to someone elses post?

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Referring to both... referring to both... I don't have to talk only about the rubbish you type. If you had taken a second and thought about it you would have realized what was going on... anyway, your an ABU so I can't really expect much.... all forgiven, well... most.