What team did we send to the Basketball championships?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lucid, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm a college basketball fan myself, won't touch the NBA stuff, though I get a steady dose of it from SportsCenter and sports talk radio. But the question I have is what team did we send to the WBC? I'm talking in terms of like our A Team, B team, C team, etc....

So if you were given the choice to pick between all of the basketball players in the US, how would you sort out the teams?

A Team
    -------
    Shaq
    Kobi
    Pierce
    Iverson
    Duncan
    Coach: Phil Jackson

Beyond that I could name you the players that belong on the next 3 or 4 teams, though I doubt I'd be able to stick them on the right team.

So just out of curiousity, obviously we are still the best country in the world by far in basketball, but by how much? I know some of our players belong on the "A team" and other probably belong on the "D team" and Collison belongs somewhere in the middle of the alphabet, but if you had to label this team, who would they be?

2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think this was pretty much a "C" team for the USA. I've listed 19 guys below who I think are better than any of the players on the current team. Some of the current players might be able to crack a "B" team lineup, but overall it's a "C" team at best. An "A" or "B" team can get away with winning on talent alone. If you're going to pick a "C" team you better make damn sure you have some role players who know how to win and this team wasn't put together in that fashion. The US is a little lacking at center, although with Shaq in there I don't think they'd have any problems.

FORWARDS
    -----------
    Vince Carter
    Grant Hill (when healthy)
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Chris Webber
    Scottie Pippen
    Karl Malone
    Rasheed Wallace

GUARDS
    --------
    Kobe Bryant
    Steve Francis
    Michael Jordan
    Tracy McGrady
    Allen Iverson
    Jason Kidd
    Gary Payton
    Mike Bibby
    Ray Allen

CENTERS
    ---------
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Alonzo Mourning

3. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    Just so you guys know that this team was not a bunch of scrubs......

NBA stats:
    01-02 leading rebounder - Ben Wallace
    01-02 leading assist man - Andre Miller

The team also includes the 3rd highest scorer in the league (pierce), the 5th best on rebounds (Brand), and the 4th best on assists (Baron Davis).

Ian's picks are almost all right on. This was a C team, but it was in no way a mediocre team or a team of scrubs.

4. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Out of curiosity: how many of the mentioned guys were asked and refused to play? Cause when talking about a C team or whatever, you can just compare it to the players who would want to play if only being asked.

5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just it Olaf, to most guys the economics, no or little pay (play for national pride) versus the potential for injury and loss of income is a real deterrent. Couple that with the rigours of extending the length of ones playing season by several more weeks, and it easy to understand why many players say no thanks. Here in the USA training camp for the NBA begins in late August or early September. The season starts in October and if you make the NBA Finals it ends in the end of June. Sure it's shorter than the soccer season, but if you ever played basketball, you know how hard the floor is on the legs. Plus, unlike soccer you play double the number of games. Having played both sports, the recovery from soccer is much faster because of the shock absorbing nature of grass fields.

Think of it this way. You are asked to volunteer for some local business group and you slip off a ladder and hurt your back and as a result can't work, you might be pissed and worried on how it will affect you when you get healthy and go back to work. Maybe it never happens, but in all sports there is always the risk of injury if the risk outweighs the return you are right not to do it.

The greatest basketball coach ever was asked by several of his players if they should try out for the Olympic Team. His advice was always you have to weigh the potential for injury versus the pride of playing for your country.

That man was John Wooden and almost every single great star to come out of UCLA in the 60's through the 70's never played in the Olympics.

6. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Alberto, I know that a NBA basketball season (or NHL or MLB) is much harder than soccer, that's why I'm laughing about every soccer player complaining about having too many games.

Good that we have Dirk Nowitzki. After being out in the playoffs he said "I'm exhausted, I urgently need vacation now - but in three weeks I want to have a basketball back in my hands". As the German basketball organisation isn't very rich and Mark Cuban insisted on a ninsurance that costs 200 K during this two WC weeks, Nowitzki is even paying a part of this sum himself just to take part for Germany.

7. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Man, I'm not so sure about a football season being easier than the NBA. I mean, sure they play a lot of basketball games, but in the Euro football leagues they play league games, cup games, continental cup games, official national team games, national team friendlies; in the case of the Southamericans, they have to travel overseas to play those two last categories.

And sure the court impact is lower in football, but in basketball they don't kick you in the legs. I think it's pretty much even with a slight edge towards football being harder.

8. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    This was our "A" team. This was the team that USA basketball CHOSE to put out in the World Championships. Some of the players on your list were injured. Some of them were asked and refused to play. Some of them were NEVER ASKED, like Steve Francis and Chris Webber. Steve Francis has made it very clear that he would love to play for the USA, but he has never been asked. Of course, SF may not have been healthy enough to play, but that is beside the point. USA Basketball decided that this team would be better off without Webber, Francis, and anyone else that wasn't asked, like Iverson.

Look, if USA Basketball made a decision that the team would be better off without certain players, you can criticize that decision, but you can't complain that this was a "C" team when the players you would have selected ahead of them were never asked to participate.

9. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If Brazil sends a team minus Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, etc.... to the Confed Cup, are you going to call it Brazil's "A" team? No.

We didn't think for a second we'd lose any games this WBC, so we didn't bother getting the biggest and best players. We got some good ones, and in some cases, some really good ones, but these aren't the best. And just because we didn't ask some players to come, or some players refused to come, doesn't mean that we still call this our "A" team, because it's not the best we have to offer.

I could really care less that we lost, no one in this country cares about the WBC because we know that it will be a long time before anyone can seriously contend with us in terms of talent. That's not being arrogant either, it's just an obvious fact.

10. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    what a load of crap. This team was fine. It was more like a "B" team, not C.

Ian's list of guards:

Kobe Bryant
    Steve Francis
    Michael Jordan
    Tracy McGrady
    Allen Iverson
    Jason Kidd
    Gary Payton
    Mike Bibby
    Ray Allen

Maybe you don't watch the playoffs or havn't paid attention, but Reggie Miller has torched all of these players in the past few years, aside from Ray Allen and Bibby. I'm not talking 10 years ago, I'm talking within the past 3 years. Reggie Miller has made Iverson cry before.

Ben Wallace should make any team since he is the best big man defender in the league.

Paul Pierce is statistically even with Mcgrady except that Pierce actually has won a few games.

I don't see much of an argument for Francis being better than Andre Miller or Baron Davis either.

11. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised no one is mentioning the fact that these guys had about 3 weeks to prepare for the tourny. Sure you throw any group of NBA players against the Kiwi's and they'll smoke them, but against the top teams of the world you have to not only put your best against theirs, but they also have to have a team mentality. I don't keep up much with NBA myself, but I do know the superstars from the one-time all-stars, and a select few of those guys I hadn't even heard of. I think we should have just brought back all 12 of the original 92 dream team, i bet those guys could win us 1st.

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I was trying to put one together the other day with this in mind. I would say a B or B- team. Not bad at all.

first team

c: Shaq,
    pf:Duncan
    sf:VInce Carter
    sg: Kobe Bryant
    pg:Jason Kidd

c:Alonzo Mourning
    pf: Chris Webber
    sf:Grant Hill
    sg:Iverson
    pg: Gary Payton

sgTracy McGrady
    pf: Kevin Garnett
    -------------------------
    c:Jermaine O'Neal
    pg:Mike Bibby
    sf:paull PIerce

c: Ben Wallace
    pf:Karl Malone
    sf: Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    sg:Ray Allen
    pg: Andre Miller

pf: Rasheed Wallace
    pg: Steve Francis
    sg: Jerry Stackhouse
    sf: Michael Finley
    -------------------------
    c:Antonio Davis

c: Raef LaFrentz
    sg:Antoine Walker
    pf:Elton Brand
    sf: Glenn Robinson
    pg: Baron Davis

At this point I'm sure there are players that I'm not thinkg of, but yoiu get the point. Most of these players arguably would be on the first three 12-man teams of NBA players. They wer not slouches.

13. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Even if we would think for a few seconds that we would lose any games in this WBC, so what? the point is that WBC is of very low in status in the American basketball culture, thus winning it is no big deal, losing it is a risk that we would take.

Same thing for Brazil about the Confederations Cup and the 2001 Copa America, which they had the disgrace of losing to Honduras. Did Brazil think of the possibility of losing in those tournaments? you bet. Would Brazil have done it differently (order Rivaldo, Romario and Roberto Carlos to play: if you don't show up in Colombia 2001, you won't play in J/K 2002)? Probably not.

Now, I would expect all the A players would flock to play in the 2004 Olympics to restore the American pride. After that, do you think we'll see the A team in the 2006 WBC? I won't bet on it.