What Skills Are Needed For This Position?

Discussion in 'Player' started by lefty24, Dec 4, 2004.

1. lefty24

lefty24 New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    I'm thinking of playing a new position this year and I'm open to try anything almost. So if some people could give me some imput on what they think is important for these positions.

-Stopper
    -Inside Mid
    -Forward

I know the basics of what each position needs but share anything you know.

2. southckid10

southckid10 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Connecticut
    stopper- you need to be strong, fast and able to recover

mid- u need to be fit.

foward- u need VISION and SPEED and a hell of a foot

3. Viking Striker

Viking Striker New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    It all depends on your formation and style of play. Based on what you said, I'm assuming your team plays 4-4-2.

As a stopper, your job is to win anything coming through in the air and to send the ball outside to your wing middies. You also help support and double team with your outside backs and push up and offense as a supporting player when your team has possession.

Skills: Heading, Clearing, One on One (Defense); Stamina and Speed

As inside middie, you play as support for your forwards and outside middies. Your goal is to make space by playing the ball outside to your wing middies and forwards and laterally across the field. You also serve as a finisher around the edge of the 18.

Skills: Passing, Vision, Dribbling, Finishing (to a lesser extent), and
    Crossing

Forward can vary a bit more, you may end serving as the player making crosses or the player finishing them. The number one thing to remember is your job is to put the ball in the net. That doesn't mean ball-hog, but you need a kind of selective selfishness. This is especially true if you play with only one man up top who will probably do more than half of your team's scoring.

Skills: Dribbling, Finishing (includes Headers and Volleys), One on One (Offense), Turning; Speed and Stamina

4. beckenbaur

beckenbaur New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Hudson, NH
    I play stopper and inside mid. Some of the things I found you need just as much as skills is to be able to predict what other players are going to do. You just have to know the game very well. As stopper one thing you dont really want to do is just clear the bal. you need to try and get it to a halfback or forward. Passing accurately is a neccesity to be a good stopper.