What Sigi should do for U-20?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Shaster, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    A good history of Sigi is that he can make a very defensive team. Somehow he can make a good defense line out of bunch of college nobodies. Considering Spector maybe not available for both qualifier and the finals, this may be desired skill.

Look into his formal U-20 team, here is his defenders:

Califf, Garcia, Cherundolo, Bocanegra, and Pierce. Gbandi missed the team due to snafu of his citizenship paper messup. So that is not a bad defense line at all. If he can get one as good as this time, we will be pretty good.

Beside Spector, do we have three defenders as good as Marshall, Cochrane and Whitbread?

Compare with last team, the midfield is loaded.
    Last time, we have a five man midfield with two holding mids in Clark and Grabavoy, two wing midfileder in Mapp and Adu with one attacking mid with Convey. This time, we have holding mid with Capano who has a very quick feet and holding mid/right mid Szetela. The left wing is Alvarez with attacking mid as Gaven, Adu, and Memo. So at least the bench is much deeper than last time.

The only weakness in attack is forwards. Last time we have Johnson and Magee. This time, beside Gaven and Adu, we don't have pro rank forwards. Maybe Jemel Johnson from Blackburn is a choice.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    FYI: The World Youth Championship is slated to start next year in the Netherlands on June 10. Thus, Spector shouldn't have a club conflict and should be available.

As for qualifying, I'd say it's 50-50 whether he'll be available. The games are Jan. 12-16 in Carson.

Manchester United has a full Premier League schedule during that time but no non-league games. The FA Cup matches in January are Jan 8 and 29 and the League Cup games, assuming they advance this month, are Jan. 10 and 24.

So, if he wasn't going to play in the league games but Fergie wanted him available for the cup-matches, he could play in those then hop on a plane and come for qualifying. He'd obviously miss all of the camp leading up to qualifying, but at least he'd be available.

3. SoccerLover4ever

SoccerLover4ever New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Based on the previous two camps in Korea and Ireland... I would be expecting Sigi to bring in a roster with the following players for the tournament down in Florida.

U-20 Starters:
    GK - Quentin Westberg, 1986, Troyes (France)
    LB - Nathan Sturgis, 1987, Clemson (College)
    CB - Kiel McClung, 1985, UCLA (College)
    CB - Jonathan Spector, 1986, Manchester United (England)
    RB - Steve Purdy, 1985, Cal-Berkeley (College)
    LM - Arturo Alvarez, 1985, San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)
    DM - Craig Capano, 1985, Chicago Fire (MLS)
    AM - Eddie Gaven, 1986, Metrostars (MLS)
    RM - Danny Szetela, 1987, Columbus Crew (MLS)
    CF - Freddy Adu, 1989, DC United (MLS)
    CF - Chad Barrett, 1985, UCLA (College)

Subs:
    GK - Andrew Kartunen, 1985, Stanford (College)
    D - Mike Ordonez, 1985, Club Atletico Racing Cordoba (Argentina)
    D - Patrick Phelan, 1985, Wake Forest (College)
    M - Jay Denny, 1985, Stoke City (England)
    M - Memo Gonzalez, 1986, Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)
    M - Stuart Holden, 1985, Clemson (College)
    F - Kamani Hill, 1985, UCLA (College)
    F - Charlie Davies, 1986, Boston College (College)
    F - Jamie Watson, 1986, North Carolina (College)

------------------

Not too sure about Spectors availability but there is also Hunter Freeman to consider along with Gregg Dalby from Notre Dame.

If there are any other players you think will get called in list them below.

4. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    A very good list; however, with the NCAA playoffs looming, what is the availability of the college players?

5. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Everytime i see a comment like this, i ask myself this question.
    College or national team? Hmmm i personally think it's a no brainer, and any college coach that wouldn't let a player go is a clown.

6. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002

It takes a bite out of UCLA's roster....Sigi's former team.

7. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I heard a very distant rumor that this may be Charlie Davies' first and last year in college. He may be entertaining pro contracts.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Regarding the tournament in Florida, the roster will very much be dependent on who is competing in the NCAA Tournament, and when.

First off, there's no way that the U20 coach, especially one who coached a college power, is going to call players away from a game in which the loser's season is over to play in some friendlies. No way.

The tournament in FLA is Nov. 19 and 21. The first round of the NCAA Tournament is the weekend of Nov. 19. Now, the Top 16 teams get a bye in the first round so Sigi will be limited too players from teams that either get a bye or who don't make the NCAA's.

And, I think the teams with byes may be reluctant to send their players across the country, in some cases, to play TWO international games, then fly back and play the biggest game of the season on three days rest as the second round of the NCAAs is set for Wednesday, Nov. 24.

9. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Jemal Johnson maybe an option for the Tourney. This U-20 team could go to the semis if they qualify its a very good team. Isnt Karbysiyoon on the roster. The U-20 have some players in reserve team in England Germany etc etc. Westberg will probably start at keeper. Jemal Johnson and maybe Jamie Watson at forwards. Adu will probably start and be the playmaker in the midfield. This team is a very good team.

10. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    I believe Karbassiyoon is an '84, making him too old. Someone I'd like to see in the pool is Brazilian-born Benny Feilhaber of UCLA, who is having a great year in college. I don't know his citizenship status, though. He has great offensive instincts for the game.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think both these guys have earned a look with their college play.

Freeman leads the country in assists. He likely won't play MF for the 20s like he does at UVa, but his ability and versatility to play anywhere on the flanks should get him a look from Sigi.

And, Notre Dame has the second best defense in Division-I (and the best among schools from the big conferences) and Dalby has been a big part of that so he would seem to have earned a look as well.

12. SoccerLover4ever

SoccerLover4ever New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Based on the Previous Camps for the U-20s the scoring statistics aren't too promising, but we have to keep in mind that Adu, Gavin, and some of the others didnt travel to Korea.. etc..

Florida
    -------
    USA 1 - Haiti 0
    Scorers: Craig Capano

Korea
    -------
    USA 0 - S.Korea - 1

USA 1 - Brazil 2
    Scorers : Stuart Holden

USA 2 - Poland 2
    Scorers: Will John, Nathan Sturgis

Ireland
    ---------

USA 2 - Denmark 2
    Scorers: Stuart Holden, Chad Barrett

USA 0 - Turkey 0

USA 1 - Wales 1
    Scorers: Chad Barrett

USA 1 - Northern Ireland 2
    Scorers: Chad Barrett

------------------------------------------

Overall
    -------
    Chad Barrett - 3
    Stuart Holden - 2
    Will John - 1
    Craig Capano - 1
    Nathan Sturgis - 1

13. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    If he plays in UCLA, then Sigi would know him very well.

14. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    I'd like to see Marvell Wynne and Brandon Owens get the call from UCLA as well. They'd add some speed to the relatively slow backline that was used in Korea. I think Sig made it clear in the TDS article that 26-28 players would be invited, so that potentially means he'll throw out two different teams in Florida.

Potential UCLA players in camp:
    Barrett
    McClung
    Hill
    Feilhaber
    Owens
    Wynne

15. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    How about Randi Patterson from UNCG? His goal scoring numbers suggest that he deserves a callup. He's scored 16 goals this season to help his team to a #1 ranking in the country and they've knocked off 4 ACC teams along the way. I haven't heard much about the guy, but his numbers are impressive enough to warrant a callup.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No argument from me there.

17. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Just watched a replay of the UCLA-Washington game on TV.

Feilhaber is impressive, but I have a hard time believing he's an American. If he's got citizenship, then he would instantly challenge Capano as the starting central midfielder. Oh yeah, he was a walkon at UCLA. That is just sick. Benny is small but EXTREMELY talented with the ball at his feet whether passing, dribbling by players or shooting the ball from the top of the box with accuracy. He doesn't give up possession, which is rare for a college player, but not for a Brazilian which is probably where he got his a game. He scored the game winner against Washington from outside the 18 after a deflected corner. Of course, Washington isn't close to the competition he'd get at the U-20 level, but he'll challenge if he's eligible.

Marvell Wynne is a Hejduk clone. Fast as hell, can run up and down the field all day, but marginal on the ball. He might be a good addition to the team because could shut down the other teams winger if needed. I think it's needed after watching Poland and Korea rip us on the wings this summer. His play has sent U-20 starter Kiel McClung to the bench at UCLA.

Kamani Hill had a fairly quiet game at right midfield, although he showed flashes of skill. Not enough speed to get loose from the Washington defenders. Solid, but not a standout.

Chad Barrett is playing up top with Mike Enfield. Not the most effective partnership. They didn't seem to find each other and Washington's defense did a good job of winning the ball. Again, he made a few nice spin moves to beat players, but might be more effective playing off a target foward that could actually hold the ball with back to goal. UCLA has a giant player on the bench named Ahmed Khalil that can do that. Khaliul came into the game scored a goal and changed the momentum by actually posting up and finding teammates near the box before getting sent back to the bench 10-15 minutes later.

Brandon Owens played a solid game in central defense.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No word on Sergio Flores (Chacarita Jrs, ARG) or George Weah Jr (Milan, ITA) for that matter? Both are forwards, if we're thin up top, wouldn't their inclusion be beneficial?

19. Bumptious Rex

Bumptious Rex New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Flores was in the winter camp at HDC and, apparently, didn't impress as he was not called back to subsequent events.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he the son of 80s Pittsburgh Pirate Marvell Wynne?

EDIT: Google's first hit says yes.

His dad was very fast, but lacked the baseball skills (namely, hitting that itty bitty white ball traveling 90 mph) to be a quality major leaguer. So when you call him a Hejduk clone, oh man. Talk about the apple not falling far from the tree.

Anyway, in a different soccer culture, his athleticism + dearth of soccer specific skills might have moved him to the backline as a marking back. Oh well.

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What his dad lacked the most was even a rudimentary sense of plate discipline. He also was just an atrocious base stealer despite being as fast as he was. He's also a homey of mine (literally me and Marvell grew up in the same city, never met him but it was a big city and he's a good bit older than me).

Back in the day Marvell was a top prospect. Not only was he fast he was strong too. Great athlete, marginal baseball player. A bit of a symbol of all that was wrong with baseball scouting in the 80s.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As Voros no doubt knows, Marvell was also a favorite Bill James target, for all the reasons that Voros describes.

In other words, Marvell was to savvy baseball observers what U.S. soccer players are to Eurosnobs, a great athlete with inadequate skills and a poor understanding of the game. Quite ironic that his son is a U.S. (youth) national team candidate, then.

23. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Is there not a tourney coming up in a couple of weeks? Has there been any word on the roster? Cutting it a little close.

24. s0ccerguy

s0ccerguy Member

Mar 25, 2004
    I think a lot of it depends on the college season. The MLS Cup will be over by then so there's no problem for pros to be added in, however, the tournament is right around the first round of the NCAA tournament. He may be waiting to see what teams are in and out before pulling players away from their teams. Or maybe he's just lazy I don't know. Just a thought.

25. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States