What should we do?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJEarthquakes, Aug 25, 2002.

1. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    So, what should the team do about the away game problem. We're 2-8-2 on the road, so obviously something has to change.

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're snakebit. They've actually started to believe they can't win on the road. I can't think of any other explanation. It's the psychology of the whole thing. I don't know what to do except to have Frank and all the players recite over and over again, "We will win on the road, We will win on the road...."

3. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with you on this Albany...it looked yesterday as though from the first kick-off they didn't believe and as soon Graziani hit the post the heads deopped and it was like "here we go again". What really puzzles me is that with the skill players and pace we have we should be BETTER on the larger field not worse. Playing at Spartan gives the players so much practice at crisp passing, close control and ball retention that on a larger field it should be so much easier and we should be able to really do some damage. I think if we can get through the psycholiogical barrier the other sides will be really frightened...if my memory serves me right we were in the top half road performers last season...so it proves we can do it...we just need CONFIDENCE.

-Richard

4. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I asked Richard what his take was on the trouble we have been having on the road this season last week in the QuakeMagic chat we had....

He said that it really isn't just us, it's all the teams that are having troubles on the road, and that it stinks, but it's part fo the game. That's why they call it "home field advantage."

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. But I still get a hint of psychological barrier in exactly what you are saying, Lindsey. The other side has homefield advantage, we don't, so we're starting out with one leg tied behind us and we won't make it. You can underestimate your opponent, and you can also overestimate him (and the field he plays on).
    Richard said, "What really puzzles me is that with the skill players and pace we have we should be BETTER on the larger field not worse." That's sort of what I meant by the way we started out last season. The first couple of games, it was like the Quakes were more used to a large field and had trouble themselves adjusting to Spartan. Remember the Dallas game (the Polish guy, I can't remember his name) when they basically bunkered and we couldn't get through them? Quakes lost something like 1-0. We should have had homefield advantage there, but didn't.

6. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I agree with you Albany....I was just tryin to give some player insight on the situation...

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What bothered me there was that he, too, seemed to be thinking negatively.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Maybe the players are just depressed. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

9. Quakesfreak

Quakesfreak New Member

Jul 13, 2001
    CA
    I know that i can name one that might be. but we really shouldn't hope on it nor assume it being the case.

10. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Add talent to the midfield. Mulrooney and Ekelund are fine and I think Lago's might be ok even though he isn't getting the job done now but Russell is done. Put DeRo out there or trade for someone. It may be too late.

11. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be wrong but I thought there was a trade deadline that already passed. If so midfield help must come from within, send in DeRo!

12. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Put Dwayne out on the plain and take Ian off the gre-en.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok ... I'm game for a larger field. Does somebody have one they're not telling the rest of us about?

14. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

As long as you don't take the green from DeRo, his game would go to pot. Hahahahahahahahahaha......i just kill me!!! :D

15. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't get it. I should but I don't.

I think that it probably is just the mindset of "we-win-home-games-we-don't-need-away-games" that's sinking them. And that will (and has) cause(d) major problems. EVENTUALLY they WILL get everything straightened out.

I think Jimmy may have some issues to work through right now with the yellow card business and all but I think he'll be fine as long as he knows people still appreciate him.

Landon has issues right now with the whole fame thing and that has two ways of being fixed: an ego-popping or going to Leverkusen (then HIS ego won't be OUR problem).

Defense seems likes it's lacking something. Maybe it's because Barrett was the only player moving Saturday. Maybe they just need a guy to be there on the other side of the box when the ball is played across. Or maybe the team feels like a team anymore.

Too much drama (as one of my friends would say) like what they've experienced with recent successes and not-very-successful unsuccesses.

All I know for sure is that there's NOTHING AT ALL we fans can do EXCEPT keep supporting them, whether it's going to all the games, posting on BS, or whatever anyone would feel equals support.

WE ARE NOT THE COACHES. WE ARE NOT THE TRAINERS. WE ARE NOT THE PLAYERS.

We are fans. But we can show them how much we love them and that is probably one of the things that will make them realize the need to get their crap together.