What should we aim for at the WC?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Aug 31, 2009.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I know from some posts here or SBI or the US Soccer fan group on FB a lot of criticism and downright disbelief that the NT will even make it out of the group-stage, but is that likely or what we should be projecting? I personally think we can make it out of the group stage. We easily have the talent and the drive, just need the consistency. I'd like the NT to aim for the quarter-finals and along the way play some fabulous football. 1 can only dream :rolleyes: But my point is what should USSF and the NT see as a respectable result and what can we aim and succeed at?

2. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To do our bestest

3. Br1an224

Br1an224 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously we'll be aiming to make a deep run into the knockout stages...

But realistically, we need to be focusing on just getting out of the group. You all know we're going to get another group of death, and our first step should be getting out of that intact, which I think we are more than capable of. Moving on from that, I think we are looking at a win in the 1st round of knockouts then a tough loss in the second round, although I'd love to see us make the quarters again (and hopefully beat germany:D)

4. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Our first objective is to make it out of the group stage. Unfortunately, I agree with you as our chances of composing the Group of Death are high. Not because of luck but because we aren't good enough to get a seed and our draw puts us in a weak pot to be drawn in with tougher teams. I'm sure if you peruse through these boards you will get plenty of this on "WC Drawing" type threads.

After that, it really is a crap shoot on how we do.

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should aim to win the entire World Cup. If only going to play some matches, even to the second round why bother?

6. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your missing the point. Of course the players will do everything in their power to win every game, but this thread is really more about OUR expectations as fans. You should never expect the improbable, even if you want it to happen more than anything in the world. Think of it like the lottery. Every once in awhile, I buy a scratch off lottery ticket for fun. I buy the ticket knowing full well that I have virtually no shot at winning. So why do I even try? Because I want to turn one dollar into a million dollars. My desire to win the lottery is in no way diminished by my rationally low expectations. My expectations for the US team are no different. I don't expect to win the World Cup for the very reason I don't expect to win the lottery. Do you know what happens to people who expect to win the lottery? At the same time, I will root for the US with every fiber of my being, for the very same reason I continue to buy the occasional lottery ticket. I want lots of money and for the US to win the World Cup. It's my dream and I want it more than anything in the world.

The trick is to keep your expectations separate from your desires.

7. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without question the goal is to get out of the group stages. I've said this for awhile now, but the next step in the progression of US Soccer is to consistently make the knockout stages. When we make it out twice in a row, then I think we can start talking about making it to the finals.

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask the question again in December, after the draw.

Until we know WHO we are matched against in the Group stage, you simply cannot set any fair expectations. The draw is the single most important aspect.

The US is a borderline Top-20 team. A favorable draw that includes only 1 other Top-20 team would mean that the US should expect to advance out of the Group. A bad draw in which the US faces 2 Top-10 teams and a quality African team reduces the odds of advancing significantly.

1 person likes this.
  9. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The goal should be to get into Round of 16....

Although simply winning ONE MATCH would be improvement over 2006, crazy but true

10. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, our first objective is to qualify:cool:

11. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    aim to qualify out of your group, and hope we don't play a COMEBOL team.

12. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, we qualify. DUHH.

Next, we learn our group opponents. Usually, our group opponents can influence our final 23 roster selection. Our group opponents should also determine how we tune up for the World Cup. (2002 friendlies GOOD, 2006 BAD.) The realistic goal at the world cup is to get out of the group stage. This with the knowledge that we can advance from any group given to us. (No 2006 doomsaying, we know better after the Confederations Cup).

Basically, in the elimination rounds (If we get there), it's up to the soccer gods. One game at a time, no eye on the prize until we get to the finals god willing.

13. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about not. This is a goal achieved by effort. The lottery is nothing but blind luck.

Bullshit. That's not how Americans think. We are winning the World Cup and that's that. Anything less is failure. And every player on that squad would tell you the same thing.

Why does it take us expats to remind you of what you already know?

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't envy you next summer.

Make the knockout rounds.

15. PastFBCoach

PastFBCoach New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Gettysburg, PA
    I think we should aim for the big rectangle at one end of the field. It has like a net behind it or something.

Oh, and since there are two of them, we should aim at the one that doesn't have Tim Howard in front of it yelling, "No, the other way!"
    :cool:

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    like Colombia, right? :) after all, they were the dark horse favorite in 94.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Which we will. I feel if we finished at the QF at 7th or 8th place would be great. Going out in round of 16 is decent. Simply getting out of the group stage might be tough, but nothing to shout about. We need to succeed and leave a lasting impression.

18. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We can aim for whatever we want, the teams aim should always be to win the game at hand.

The old saying is "one game at a time". You can't make it out of group stages in the first game, and you definitely can't make it out of group stages before you qualify.

19. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its the world cup 4 years of work comes down to 270 minutes. We all forget how much luck comes in, espcially the refs (we ALL remeber that penalty against Ghana, and the handball against Germany). So its hard to set expectations because so much is out of the control of the team but I think our expectations should be the quarters hopefully with a big scalp along the way.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Amen to that :D

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal is to stay organized and progress past the group stage, that should be the goal every cup.

22. Master O

Master O BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't luck. The refs are biased against the US.

As far as this thread goes, we should realistically aim for a win (if we get 2 Euro teams) and expect to be going home if the US continues its atrocious form of bunker-against-everyone-and-pray.

If the US gets some small-fry Arab or Asian teams, then 2 wins.

23. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for truth.

For about 2/3 of the field, it's all about the draw.

Get a good draw, your chances of getting out of the group is enhanced...after that...it's a 4 round single elimination tournament, where strange things can (and will) happen.

EDIT: Case in point - Germany's run to the final in '02...Paraguay, the USA, and South Korea. No slouches there, but not exactly Murderer's Row, either...

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Yea with Mexico going in Pot A again. I cant wait to see South Africa's group...they will probally be considered the Top team in the group:D.

25. hail columbia

hail columbia New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New Jersey,U.S.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Round of 16 would make me happy.

Though I remember thinking before 2002 that 3 points would make me happy. :D