What Radio Station for Next Season now that KSJO's gone?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by We Were Cut, Nov 12, 2004.

1. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I grew up in the East Bay on KSJO and moved to the Central Valley 20 years ago. One of the nice things about driving down for games has been the opportunity to listen to KSJO. But I read in the SF Chron that KSJO has changed to Spanish Classics (WTF? Is this like CA buying the Quakes :eek: ), so now need a new radio station for when we hit the Bay Area. Any suggestions? Alternative rock or rock preferred...

p.s. I'm very happy to be able to ask this question-been holding it for a couple of weeks. ;)

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Get a car cd player, or an iPod adapter or something. Radio sux. ;)

Seriously, though...I'm watching the replay of last night's Daily Show on Comedy Central right now, and they've twice run an ad for The Bone (107.7?) FM, with Lamont and Tonelli inviting former KSJO listeners to check them out. FWtW.

3. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Thanks. I drive a ton (35000+ miles per year), so I listen to a lot of cds...and I get sick of sports talk radio too.

4. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    107.7, The Bone is now the only classic rock station in the Bay Area. It's a solid choice if that's your genre. Classic rock, classic jocks...as their slogan says.

Lamont and Tonelli hold down the mornings (former KSJO morning team.) Steven Seaweed (Noon-6) and Billy Steel (6-10)...a couple of old friends of mine from our days on the old KRQR, work the back half of the day.

I know the signal gets a bit "scratchy" in some areas, though. Depending upon where you're traveling, you may have some issues with picking up the signal.

Happy Motoring!

5. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old KRQR rocked, before they became malice.

The last song on KSJO was "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo--they've had that format for as long as I was alive. Anyone remember Perry Stone?

Otherwise, it's 104.9 or Live 105 though for the old folk it would be too much to handle.

If you drive every so often, get satellite radio. There's a station for classic rock. Cheers!

6. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Yeah, I remember KRQR. God, I feel old.

How about KOME? "Don't touch that dial, it's got KOME on it..."

And satellite is a good suggestion. Radio's not that great in Sac, either.

7. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KOME circa 1980s and early 1990s competed with KSJO for listeners. Then it became a competitor to Live 105 for a few years until "The Fox" occupied that station.

There was one pocket around the hills here that was static because there was one station in Sacramento that interfered with the San Jose signal, and that was because they occupied the same FM slot of 98.5.

Only difference is that "The Fox" plays the mellower of the classic rock, while "The Bone" will go with the harder tunes...

Ironic about the KOME of the 1990s--they had Howard Stern and they gave this young DJ a chance by the name of Carson Daly. I think a few might have heard of that name.

8. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  9. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Guide to Bay Area Radio That Doesn't Suck

Why do I get the impression that whoever wrote the list doesn't venture out of SF proper very often?

Unless something's changed since the mid-late 80s, when I was at KFJC for a few years, KFJC is one of the highest powered college stations in the country, and I think it's THE highest powered college station west of the Mississippi. The author's correct that you can't get it well in SF, but you can from the Peninsula all the way down to parts of southern Santa Clara county. OTOH, KUSF can't be heard well anywhere outside of SF.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, I'll make the pitch (babbling to myself on a streetcorner is more like it) that the Quakes really, really need a network of Northern and Central Valley Radio Stations. That the Quakes are now at zero on the English-language meter is depressing.

11. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

Thanks for the list. I'll try some of these next time I'm down.

However, there's a glaring omission: KVHS, 90.5 out of Concord. Not sure if you can get it in the south bay, but it's a great high school alt rock station.

http://www.kvhs.com/frames.htm

12. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Heh... probably true. I listen to most of these on the web, since simply driving to work puts me out of their listening range.

True that. Both KZSU (Stanford) and KFJC (Foothill College) have a really good listening range for college radio. Were you a DJ at KFJC?

And there's always KPFA, which can be heard pretty much anywhere.

Whoever picks up the Quakes next year, I just hope there's a web stream.

13. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just get the usual PBP people, not have a radio station, and just broadcast over the MLS website... that stream will reach out to a wider audience...

14. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

Yep (hardcore/metal/punk/industrial). Was also sports director early on, and later paid training director.

15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    Not exactly on point but who decided 'Jet' was alternative?