What news will come out of league meetings?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by panicfc, Nov 6, 2003.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they start today, any body have any scoops?

New teams?

Divisional or conference alignments?

any other changes?

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So nothing happened?

3. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think the USL would post it on their own web site, but the only story about it concerned the meetings were getting started:

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/64074.html

Tuesday, November 4, 2003

TAMPA, FL -- United Soccer Leagues will hold its Annual Operations Meeting this coming weekend as its teams come together to plan for the 2004 season at the Hilton in Clearwater Beach, Florida Friday, November 7 to Sunday, November 9.

Among the attending will be representatives from 19 expansion clubs in the four leagues, including the previously announced Edmonton Aviators of the A-League and Harrisburg City Islanders of the PSL. Among the 12 expected new W-League teams will be Western Mass, Richmond, West Michigan, Sudbury, Edmonton Aviators, Detroit Jaguars. The Ajax Orlando Prospects will be one of four projected expansion clubs in the PDL along with provisional clubs from last year Abbotsford Rangers and Jersey Shore Boca, who will be full official members in 2004.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard A-league in Puerto Rico next year.

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to be joking.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I make you laugh? Am I some sort of clown?

[and I never saw the movie Taxi Driver]

I'm not kidding. One of the guys emailed me the scoop.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the Impact gonna play a third of their games down there? :D

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted I dont follow the A-League all that much, but from what I gather, travel costs are a significant chunk of team budgets and a lot of teams do not break even.

Correct me if I am wrong.

If so, what is the logic to adding a team in Puerto Rico, where it might increase travel expenses greatly. I must be missing something here.

9. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Oh, so sorry Panic. You're thinking of Goodfellas. I take it from that list that there won't be new teams in Ottawa and Hamilton in '04. Or are they hedging their bets?

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the USL should do something really weird to really p*** off FIFA, like maybe expand into Tijuana, even though they have a team, and it's in MEXICO's federation as it should be.

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't see that movie either. What was the DeNiro line from Taxi Driver?

No idea about the other teams, but who can tell with USL.

12. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

It was just reported on the radio here in Vancouver that the league will have two divisions and there WILL be a team in Puerto Rico.

13. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Just heard it for myself. Vancouver GM confirmed the only new teams will be Puerto Rico and Edmonton, there will be just two divisions and Cincinatti has indeed folded.

I told you guys Ottawa and Hamilton weren't getting in.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on PSL or PDL?

15. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    There is a reason ottawa did not get in.They did not apply i know this for a fact.They were going to but they are holding off until 2005 and the new park is built.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan of gag orders for sports and leagues that need publicity.

18. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taxi Driver line

The line from Taxi Driver:

"You talkin' to me?" "You talkin' to me?" "You must be talkin' to me 'cause I don't see anybody else here."

Just to clear the air and get that out of the way.

So does "waiting on Rochester" possibly mean they could be moving to MLS?

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Taxi Driver line

Thanks Agogwe. I was losing sleep trying to figure out that line :D

Rochester MLS: its a scheduling problem, but nothing USL can do about it.

20. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another forum, it was stated that Puerto Rico FC would be in the league next season. There may be a club somewhere named Puerto Rico but that doesn't necessarily mean that the club is in that country. Like the club in Orlando that is bearing the "Ajax" name.

Just a possibility.

21. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Thats not what Vancouver GM Bob Lenarduzzi stated in the radio interview yesterday. He went as far as to mention that Puerto Rico is just a 3 hour flight from Atlanta, something that would be irrelevant if they were going to play out of an American city.

Then again, perhaps he was mistaken, which seems odd considering he was talking to the Puerto Rican owner at the meetings. I'm sure they must have talked about where they are going to play.

22. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess Richmond won't be able to take the "Kickermobile" to Puerto Rico. They'll probably be pissed having to fly!

23. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info, I've not seen that tidbit before. I had seen that some people went google-surfing and hadn't come up with any info from PR on a team playing in the A-league. Someone posted that PR supposedly already has some kind of a pro league. So, if it comes to pass, I predict a one year and out stint. It makes no sense for them or for the USL. Why bother?

24. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

This article was posted on USL discussions:

SOCCER NOTES

Richmond Times-Dispatch Nov 12, 2003

SAME OLD SONG: Once again, the face of the A-League is changing. Puerto Rico (the island) and Edmonton (in far away Western Canada) are in. Cincinnati, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Charlotte and El Paso are out. Oh, and there's an excellent possibility the Rochester Raging Rhinos will join Major League Soccer for the 2004 season.

Consequently, the A-League had to put the announcement of its annual realignment on hold pending the outcome of Rochester's flirtation with MLS.

The United Soccer Leagues' annual operations meeting was held last weekend in Clearwater Beach, Fla. Richmond Kickers General Manager Billy Hallock said yesterday that everyone was told not to talk publicly until the situation in Rochester could be resolved.

"All I can say is we've got our tentative schedule."

But this much is known from league sources: The A-League plans to drop the division format and break down into two conferences. At one point, it appeared Rochester would accept being moved to the West so there would be an equal number of teams (8) in each conference. Now, even if the Rhinos stay, that apparently isn't going to happen.

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle quoted Rhinos Owner Frank DuRoss as saying, "MLS and the Rhinos have agreed to try to work out an arrangement before Nov. 30 to bring a team [to Rochester]."

The paper said that at Friday's A-League executive meeting, the Rhinos asked the league to come up with two schedules for next season - one with and one without them.