What movie are you watching

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by sportscrazed2, Jul 9, 2016.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I know she was just an actress in The Godfather 3. The point was the nepotism shown to put her there gave everyone reason to pause their enthusiasm.

2. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had to leave my carpentry gig this afternoon as the temperature approached 100 and heat index 111 and I was able to work for 8 minutes and then rest for 4 until I almost passed out on a ladder and decided the job wasn't an emergency so why create one by staying? Postponed! Then upon returning home early my AC condenser motor starting making scary vibration noises (I recently cleaned and did basic maintenance on it) so I ordered a replacement motor and and extra run capacitor to head off this disaster at the pass should it crap out soon. So, now the sun has lowered it's trajectory, the motor is still functioning and I have reasonably cool indoors and it's dropped to 95 outside so impress me Movie thread? I need a flick to beat the heat? I've been going through the Umbrella Academy and it's moderately amusing but I could use a good spy/political intrigue thriller movie only I've seen them all as far as I know.

xtomx repped this.
  3. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ice Station Zebra.

A little International intrigue on a polar ice cap.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  4. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I only really have anime, so I'll try to give you some things of the nature you're talking about from that.

There's the recent hit SPY X FAMILY that just finished airing this past month. It's more of a comedy than anything, but deals with spies so it still counts. It's basically a cold war "East vs West" situation and the best spy from one of the countries gets sent into the other on a mission to stop a nationalist radical politician from gaining power. But, to do so, the only way to get close to him is to somehow find his way into the most prestigious PTA meetings at a high-class prestigious schools. So, this spy goes undercover to adopt a little girl and marry a woman to get the girl into the school and then infiltrate the PTA. But, it turns out that the woman he chose to marry is secretly a highly-trained assassin and the child can read people's minds. Hilarity ensues as the spy struggles to maintain his cover, keep his new family happy, do more missions on the side, and deal with all the random issues that pop up in his main mission.
    My mom's read the manga (the original comic book version), she loves it. But, as I said, it's a comedy.

And it's not a spy movie, but it has the same sort of tone as one, The Great Pretender is on Netflix and the English dub is actually really good (don't be fooled by the first few minutes, it's kind of a joke within the show that they're all speaking different languages until a certain point). It's a heist series, but I always see spy films and heist films in a similar vein as they both deal in secrecy, espionage, and all the tropes that come with it. As with Spy Fam, it is a series, but Great Pretender has mostly contained arcs within it (I think they just call them "cases"). There's about 3 arcs in part one (about 4 episodes each) and just the one arc in part two. No one likes part two, you don't have to watch it unless you get invested in the characters. But it's the story of a young Japanese man who gets pulled into a worldwide con-man ring and he's sorta dragged around to various schemes by this Belgian dude Laurent. The first case involves a Los Angeles drug ring, the second case is my favorite which involves match-fixing in an air racing tournament in Singapore, and the third case is about an art forgery bust in London. Also, the ending song is actually Freddie Mercury's "The Great Pretender", which is the sort of thing that almost never happens in anime. I figure one full case is about the length of a film.

And, if you're not into anime, the best I can give you is Atomic Blonde, probably my favorite action film from an aesthetic standpoint. Cold War era spy stuff starring Charlise Theron.

5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Watching the last two episodes of this season's Stranger Things.
    Episode 8 is an hour thirty.
    Episode 9 is almost two and a half hours.

6. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My wife has been watching Stranger Things and has been trying to get me to watch it. She is a big horror movie fan and I don't really get into horror movies at all with the exception of anything that's a medieval-1800's period piece and is "witchy". I think it's because I just like watching pale redheads walk around in muted filters but for me mildly witchy movies aren't horror/slasher films but more supernatural if that makes sense? Am I wrong about Stranger Things? Is it "horror" or is it something else?

Thanks @Jiggly_333 for the recommendations. I will explore a few of those with an open mind.

bunge, xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not sure about Stranger Things.

It is a bit above 'okay,' but I would not order Netflix just for it.

8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter for your pasty white needs.

9. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have the Netflix already. It's HBO I don't have.

Intrigued!

xtomx repped this.
  10. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Watching Spirited Away again because those visuals from the early portion of the film will never leave my memory.

[​IMG]

bunge repped this.
  11. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What We Do in the Shadows

12. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've only cried at two different shows/films, as far as I can remember. First was the ending of Toy Story 3, then the two, maybe three separate times in the Bunny Girl Senpai series (Mai's mom, truck-kun in the movie, and maybe at the end of Kaedequest). So, I've finally found another show to put on that list cause I watched all of Shoresy today and it is absolutely amazing.

In the past, I've talked a lot about how bad most sports media is, but it seems like screenwriters are really stepping up their game. Hustlers with Adam Sandler was pretty dang good and this show is an actual masterpiece. Jared Keeso took the biggest meme of a character from Letterkenny, an actual comedy show, and then plopped him right down into a genuine hockey drama where he seriously shines. Everyone thought this would just be some sort of comedy about hockey; but Keeso actually turns Shoresy into not only a likeable character, but an almost relatable one. The big montage in the final episode actually had me tearing up and it made me think a lot about the Fire and the concepts of winning/losing.
    It is incredible, Jared Keeso is a genius, and if you can handle plenty of crude humor that comes along with it, I think you'll really enjoy Shoresy.

13. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #4538 Pennsylvania Dave, Jul 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    OK so disclaimer... I HATE going to the movies but will go when it seems like there's something culturally significant worth seeing AND it's something that would benefit from seeing on a big screen. My last theater visit was for "1918" which was pretty cinematically great. So with some reservation yet interest, wifey and I went to see the Baz Luhrmann film ELVIS today at the matinee. Now...I AM an Elvis fan though more a Scotty Moore fan (his guitarist) but yeah...you know...Elvis was kind of a big deal so...I expected to probably hate it and ya know what??? It was great! It was a bit long but it does a fantastic job of being pretty accurate while giving it the Hollywood treatment and there were some cinematic moments worth witnessing on the big screen. I give it two thumbs up. My only real beef would be a lot of his music was "moderned up" for 2022 audiences and I think in 15 years the hip hop, dance and trap beats mixed with Elvis music will seem dated but the lead actor was AMAZING in that role. There...I have spoken. Worth checking out.

14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Kurt Russel!

15. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    SNAKE!

Mac97 and bunge repped this.
  16. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I haven't SEEN it yet (Due late October 2022) but hot on the heels of the 1930 movie version and the 1979 version (featuring Ernest Borgnine and Richard Thomas) of Erich Maria Remarque's novel of the same name "All Quiet On The Western Front" is coming out on Netflix in a 2022 version. Honestly both movie versions are so bleak I ended up feeling really hollow and sad after viewing both but that's exactly the point of the story showing the futility and brutality of war. I'm a sucker for a good war movie and if you are going to wade into World War I movies the short list would be "All Quiet..." (any version), "Paths Of Glory", "The Lost Battalion" and the most recent "1917". To a lesser extent "The Trench" was pretty good.

18. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally saw Jurassic World Dominion. It was as bad as expected, but I was excited to see the dimetrodon in there. That was one of my favorites as a kid.

bunge repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, come on, @Old Man!, they died out over 250,000,000 years ago.
    Sure go by "old man," but you aren't THAT old, are you?!?;);)

GHjelm and sportscrazed2 repped this.
  20. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched it while driving through Indiana. I quite enjoyed it. But the alternative was the scenery.

GHjelm and bunge repped this.
  21. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everybody knows the scientists made it all up anyway :)

22. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to wrexham

xtomx repped this.
  23. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Working on a script right now that I've described as:
    Freddy Adu gets signed by Leeds United and Brett Favre/Alan Shearer has to keep him in line.

sportscrazed2 repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does Favre steal millions of dollars in federal funds to help keep Adu around?

Jiggly_333 and bunge repped this.
  25. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was Mississippi